What does "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" actually do

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mefTrader

What does "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" actually do

Postby mefTrader » 07 Mar 2012

Hi,

I have a real time IQ Data Feed .
Putting a symbol on a Chart , say BAC, to see actual real time data do I have to go into the quote manager and set this "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" to Connect Symbol for each symbol I am looking at? Or does this serve another function?

I am doing AutoTrading - does it serve that function? to have live data?

arnie

Re: What does "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" actually do

Postby arnie » 07 Mar 2012

Hi,

I have a real time IQ Data Feed .
Putting a symbol on a Chart , say BAC, to see actual real time data do I have to go into the quote manager and set this "Collect RT Data w/o plotting" to Connect Symbol for each symbol I am looking at? Or does this serve another function?

I am doing AutoTrading - does it serve that function? to have live data?
You can collect data using both options, opening a chart in MC or through QM without opening a chart.

Imagine you have 2 charts opened in MC. Those 2 are being update in real time so QM is collecting the data for those 2 charts/stocks. But imagine that you want to collect the data of another 100 stocks. It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.

mefTrader

It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.
Okay - what use is this then ?

arnie

Postby arnie » 07 Mar 2012

It's not feasible to have 100 charts opened just to collect the data, hence QM's option of collecting RT Data w/o plotting.
Huh?

Like I've told you, if you want to collect data and don't want to have all charts opened, QM collects that data.

The only thing that should be added to QM is the ability to download historic data and not only collect RT data. One option (collect RT data) must always be accompanied by the other (download historic data). What use can we do with data that has blank spaces between the hours that QM is disconnected?
QM should have an option that when connected, it searches for all missing data from all connected symbols and download them automatically.

mefTrader

It is Real time data as you said not historic so what use is it

If it was historic I could see its use for historic backtesting or applying a strategy (as a lot of strategies need historic data to make a decision)

Can not see what use is it just to collect RT data?

I thought it was to ensure that data was kept up to date real time for a live strategy or something like that?
Anyway confusing - would like MC to explain exactly its use to me

NW27

Postby NW27 » 07 Mar 2012

The only thing that should be added to QM is the ability to download historic data and not only collect RT data. One option (collect RT data) must always be accompanied by the other (download historic data). What use can we do with data that has blank spaces between the hours that QM is disconnected?
QM should have an option that when connected, it searches for all missing data from all connected symbols and download them automatically.
I second this.
I always thought this was a bit strange, just never got around to voicing it.

Neil.

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 07 Mar 2012

Usually data is collected only for symbols that you have charted (whatever you load on your chart gets saved locally). This option is useful if you are using a feed that provides no historical data (i.e. only TT). You can build up a local library of historical data by collecting RT data for all symbols that use, without needing to constantly open and maintain all charts every single day.

If you are using a feed that provides historical data (i.e. IQFeed), you don't need this option.

mefTrader

Postby mefTrader » 08 Mar 2012

ok Thanks Stan

giulio

Postby giulio » 08 Dec 2016

Hello allo,

I am new at MC, so be patient!

I am experiencing a problem with the collection of data.
Let me take ES and CL for a example.
ES is usually open in MC and I am able to collect data smoothly.
CL is "simply" present in QM, just to collect data without plotting.
Few minutes ago I decided to open a new chart and plot CL. This is what I got: the candlestick chart is fine but the cumulative delta one is essentially empty, so useless. Both are ok for ES
ES and CL were added at the same time, around 5 days ago. All other symbols present in QM without be plotted are affected by the same issue.

Can you help me, please?

PS: obviously both symbols are connected in QM and tick is selected as field I want to collect.
Screenshot (287).png
Last three days of CL
(125.09 KiB) Downloaded 1576 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 08 Dec 2016

Are you sure you have everything selected?
collect.png
(6.03 KiB) Downloaded 1576 times
What is your data provider?
Are you sure he has tick data available?

You might not have it in QM but if you open a chart and request the data you need, when online, MC will download the data you request from the data provider servers.

If you can't sort this out you should go to live chat so support can connect to your PC and check in realtime what is happening

giulio

Postby giulio » 08 Dec 2016

my data provider is Banca Sella and it provides tick data, roughly last 65000 trades.
Screenshot (288).png
(7.3 KiB) Downloaded 1576 times

Return to “MultiCharts”