TS as MC Data Provider

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TonyB

TS as MC Data Provider

Postby TonyB » 20 Jan 2013

I just submitted an application for TS and will get access once funding is complete...

For those here using the TS feed, how has it treated you? If you are trading off this feed, which broker?

Thanks much.

ABC

Re: TS as MC Data Provider

Postby ABC » 20 Jan 2013

TonyB,

it works fine. You might want to enable that the TS data is stored withing MCs database, too. You can do that in the Quotemanger under the TS datafeed settings.
From time to time I ran into data gaps, when I let MC open TS. So I began opening TS first manually, made sure that all charts have been working fine there (maybe do a reload for the last day or so) and then open MC to load my charts there.
This was rock solid.

There is a software designed by RT Soft which allows trading from MC on a TS brokerage account. I have never used it nor seen it in action, but it looks good and uses the MC API directly: http://www.traderssoft.com/mc.

Regards,

ABC

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 20 Jan 2013

ABC, that was a very helpful reply, thank you.

I was not aware of that software by RT Soft. Very encouraging. Any here using this solution?

I will do as you described about storing the data in MC's db. I seem to recall a thread here about data gaps, and it might have been you, but I don't recall...

I take it that you are a TS veteran. If so, in your estimation, how does MC compare to the TS platform? If there is such a thread, kindly point me (I searched, to no avail).

Last question... I am not well-versed in MC. I played a fair amount withe MCDT back in the day, but that was about 2 years ago. With the aim of moving all my trading to MC (not just futures), would there be any benefit (educational or otherwise) of immersing myself in the TS platform first, or just pump TS data into MC and focus my efforts there?

Thanks for your input.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 21 Jan 2013

I am not well-versed in MC. I played a fair amount withe MCDT back in the day, but that was about 2 years ago. With the aim of moving all my trading to MC (not just futures), would there be any benefit (educational or otherwise) of immersing myself in the TS platform first, or just pump TS data into MC and focus my efforts there?
The platforms are similar in many aspects, still they are not the same and i believe it is better to focus right on MC and learn about it since you you want to use this platform for trading.

TO_Trader

Postby TO_Trader » 21 Jan 2013

This is interesting because my experience has been quite different.

I have had many problems with gaps in the data when using TS data. This is covered in at least one thread recently:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11346&hilit=missing+data

Henry actually recommended that we disable saving the data to the local database. So, I have been doing that.

I have found that when I load TS before opening MC I encountered more issues with missing data. My experience has been better when I have let MC open TS. Interesting that you have experienced the opposite, ABC.

I'd be interested in hearing if others have been having problems with missing data when using TS for the datafeed.

ABC

Postby ABC » 21 Jan 2013

I have found it to get rid of the gaps, when I opened the charts in TS first. I have always had the feeling that TS is very easily "disturbed" by Multicharts accessing the data, but the problems seem to come from TS. After all just browse their forums there are many reports of data gaps.

TonyB,
personally I would always choose MC over TS, it has less limits and feature requests are actually taken seriously and are implemented if useful.

Regards,

ABC

TonyB

Postby TonyB » 21 Jan 2013

Guys, really sorry to be brief, but I woke-up pretty sick. Looks like the little ones finally got Daddy infected...

Some conflicting info here. From the linked thread, which is "resolved", I can only surmise that "familytrading" did initiate a chat session (in response to Henry), and that led to an understanding that the issue is on the TS side. I sent a quick PM to "familytrading"...

I'd be trading primarily equities, looking at daily charts mostly, sometimes weekly and even monthly, going back years. The thought of missing data, and as someone said earlier, maybe in the other thread, leads to faulty or mis-leading indicators / studies...

If there is such a data gap, can MC at least alert us?

familytrading

Postby familytrading » 21 Jan 2013

OK, here is the idea. I have been using TS with MC for over two years and from time to time there are glitches that are not repeatable. Drives MC in Russia crazy. I have finally managed to get a robust set up and this is how it works.

1. Once a week (if you day trade maybe you want to do this more often), I erase the cache and the Tchache in my TS application. I then remove it from the recycle bin (paranoid).
2. In the MC Quote manager, I do the same (delete all data and cache for each instrument that I use. If you also use another FCM and need to translate the TS code to that system code like Rithmic, then you have to also delete the cache and data for those symbols.
3. Then load TS and re-load all the historical data and real time data for your symbols. I usually do this on Saturday so it takes about 5 minutes or so. I go back a long way.
4. Then I CLOSE TS and re-boot system to make sure it is completely closed.
5. Now I just open up MC platform (not the data manager) and wait till it asks for my TS log in. I then log into TS and the data is loaded into MC platform automatically. This back filling takes around 10 minutes or so.

The key is to use MC with TS platform closed, not open in the background. Since I have initiated this procedure, I have not had any glitches and/or issues in 6 months. Everything has gone great with all the new updates from TS 9.1, v 13 and MC 64 bit 8.0.

I am in the process of using a new computer to talk to Rithmic directly via MC. The problem is the new computer has Windows 8 and Rithmic does not like it. For some reason, I have some permission issues even in Administrative mode. I may have to go back to W 7.

I want to see if MC can run to a paper trading account at Rithmic in parallel to see if I get better fills and faster execution in real time to remove TS from the loop. I would only use TS to bring in historical data since Rithmic real time only goes back a month or something.

Hope this helps

Return to “MultiCharts”