How to keep a track record

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Thana

How to keep a track record

Postby Thana » 04 Oct 2013

Hi,

Could you kindly explain to me how is it possible to keep a track record?
I mean if I restart a strategy or if I reboot the MC plateform, I lost the strategy report.
How to make a consistent track record based on the real trade executed?
Thx

shanemcdonald

Re: How to keep a track record

Postby shanemcdonald » 06 Oct 2013

this is a major shortcoming of MC.
I was shocked to find that the performance data is not saved automatically. If you dont save it , then it will be lost on any kind of shutdown or reboot.
On top of that, I have to export each chart report individually !

I certainly hope they address this in the near future.

I was used to NT where the data is always saved. Except I found that the data was often corrupted in NT.

I do not have an answer. I save the reports every 6 hours and then compile them later. It is a real pain.

Thana

Postby Thana » 06 Oct 2013

Hi shanemcdonald
Thank you for your answer.
Just for my understanding, when you save it, have you got the possibility to merge all saved performenve data and re run a relevant strategy performance report?

I don't understand how a software so good with the backtest feature is not able to make a track record based on real trade execution.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 06 Oct 2013

I do not understand it either ! I would think this is basic for any kind of strategy development.

Not sure what you mean, but I have to merge all of the data together in a spreadsheet manually.
Only if you keep the chart running with no interruptions can you have a complete report.

You could run the chart for a week and then lose it all if it were to crash. And the data would be nowhere to be found. I've had this happen many times.

Thana

Postby Thana » 07 Oct 2013

I mean that the data merge are only a basic spreadsheet with only executed order, this is not a "strategy report" with all chart etc.? Am I wrong?

As it seems that the report can only run with data ploted in the chart. Why is it not possible to do a selection with the order in the "tracker position and order" windows and plot it in the chart, then run a strategy report.

I don't think that it is so difficult to devellop, and it will be so usefull....

Don'nt you think :p

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 09 Oct 2013

MultiCharts stores each order that was sent from the platform in Order and position tracker Orders tab. It can also receive orders placed from the other application to your broker account if this information is provided by your broker, MultiCharts is running and the broker profile is connected.
That is possible to view the Trading Performance Report based on the orders stored in the Orders tab.

The range of orders included in the Trading Performance Report depends on the chart data range. Once you have a chart plotted with the desired data range you need to go to View tab->Show Trading Performance Report.

If you want to see the historical orders stored in Order and position tracker Orders tab on a chart – please go to Format chart trading->make sure "Show historical orders is enabled".

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 09 Oct 2013

I thought the trading performance was for manual trding ?

I am more concerned with strategy reporting for autotrading. This is what I need to work with.

I cant access trading performance report on a chart that I am running an auto strategy on.

shane

Thana

Postby Thana » 09 Oct 2013

Hi henry,
Thank you for your answer.

"If you want to see the historical orders stored in Order and position tracker Orders tab on a chart – please go to Format chart trading->make sure "Show historical orders is enabled".

Show historical orders is correctly enabled but data are not plotted in the chart. manual or automatic there is no data at all.And "trading performance report" is gray.
Are you sure that if we restart the plateform it is always possible?

thank you

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2013

I thought the trading performance was for manual trding ?
I am more concerned with strategy reporting for autotrading. This is what I need to work with.
Trading Performance Report can represent a combination of your historical orders plotted on the chart + current auto trading strategy results.
I cant access trading performance report on a chart that I am running an auto strategy on.
shane
Do you mean the option is grayed out or you cannot see it? Please open the Chart Trading Panel on your chart and select the broker profile you are using for trading.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2013

Show historical orders is correctly enabled but data are not plotted in the chart. manual or automatic there is no data at all.And "trading performance report" is gray.
Are you sure that if we restart the plateform it is always possible?

thank you
Please open the Chart Trading Panel on your chart and select the broker profile you are using for trading.

If you are still unable to get the TPR - please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST and we will connect to your PC remotely to help you.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 17 Oct 2013

hi
I have 8 crude oil autotrade strategies running on rithmic local sim1.
If I select the rithmic local sim1 on the chart trader panel, then I can see the trading performance report; it is no longer greyed out. But the trading performance report starts with this message:
" warning, multicharts cannot calculate position information,
locally stored position history does not match historical orders."

I click ok, and the trading performance report opens and shows all of the historical orders of the whole chart as if I did not have autotrade enabled. For instance, the chart I have open has 2 trades placed from the autotrader. But the report has the whole history.
Now, the strategy performance report is correct and only shows the 2 trades, but the trading performance report is different.

I don't know if I explained myself clearly.

shane

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Oct 2013

Shane, your explanation is clear. That is expected behavior for the reports. The point is that the strategy report and trading report are used for different purposes. Depending on your current goal you need to use the appropriate one.

To sum up:
If you have no signals applied to the chart, the Strategy Performance Report will be unavailable.

If you have no signals applied to the chart, the Trading Performance Report will show all orders available for this instrument in Order and Position tracker->Orders tab. Both filled by Manual and Auto trading. If there are no orders for this instrument in OPT, or the chart data range does not cover the present orders, the Trading Performance Report will be unavailable.

If you have auto trading (SA & AA) disabled and a signal applied to the chart, the Strategy Performance Report will show the strategy backtesting results for the current strategy for this chart only.

If you have auto trading (SA & AA) disabled and a signal applied to the chart, the Trading Performance Report will show all orders available for this instrument in Order and Position tracker->Orders tab. Both filled by Manual and Auto trading. If there are no orders for this instrument in OPT, or the chart data range does not cover the present orders, the Trading Performance Report will be unavailable.

If you have auto trading (SA) enabled, the Strategy Performance Report will show only this strategy realtime trading results for this chart.

If you have auto trading (AA) enabled, the Strategy Performance Report will show backtesting and Async realtime trading results for the current strategy for this chart only. More info about AA trading mode.

If you have auto trading (SA & AA) enabled, the Trading Performance Report will show all filled orders available for this instrument in Order and Position tracker->Orders tab covered by the current chart data range (i.e. including the orders filled by the auto trading for this symbol from any chart).

* Please keep in mind that you need to have the broker profile you are using for trading selected and connected on the Chart Trading Panel to access the Trading Performance Report.

shanemcdonald

Postby shanemcdonald » 22 Oct 2013

Thank you Henry,

I knew I was missing something ! The AA setting is the key to my understanding.
Thanks for that explanation. I see more clearly now.

much appreciated !

shane

Return to “MultiCharts”