Variable Bar Sizes

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
wall richard

Variable Bar Sizes

Postby wall richard » 18 Feb 2012

I would like to plot variable length bars from underlying tick data. For instance time, range or volume bars that are variable bar to bar. Example 10 min bar, 15 min bar, 8 min bar ....
The software will control the bar size bar by bar. Note this is not the fixed "resolution" used in the settings.

Thanks Stork

TJ

Re: Variable Bar Sizes

Postby TJ » 18 Feb 2012

I would like to plot variable length bars from underlying tick data. For instance time, range or volume bars that are variable bar to bar. Example 10 min bar, 15 min bar, 8 min bar ....
The software will control the bar size bar by bar. Note this is not the fixed "resolution" used in the settings.

Thanks Stork
can you draw a diagram(s) to illustrate your vision?

wall richard

Postby wall richard » 18 Feb 2012

I am new to this forum and not familiar with drawing a diagram. The concept is very simple so I'll try to describe it.

Lets use a simple 3 bar 10 min chart. Each new bar will be exactly 10 minutes.

Now let's use a software variable bar chart. Bar [2] is 10 min; change bar[1] to 15 min; finally change bar[0] to 8 min. Each bar length is changed at the opening of that bar. The changes are variable and are from the software in realtime.

Use underlying tick data.

Stork

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Feb 2012

I am new to this forum and not familiar with drawing a diagram. The concept is very simple so I'll try to describe it.

Lets use a simple 3 bar 10 min chart. Each new bar will be exactly 10 minutes.

Now let's use a software variable bar chart. Bar [2] is 10 min; change bar[1] to 15 min; finally change bar[0] to 8 min. Each bar length is changed at the opening of that bar. The changes are variable and are from the software in realtime.

Use underlying tick data.

Stork
you can use 3 data streams... 10 min, 15 min and 8 min.

just make the chart display the resolution you want at the time you want,
and make the rest invisible.

QED

wall richard

Postby wall richard » 20 Feb 2012

TJ

As an ex-TradeStaion user, I haven't used multiple data streams on MC. Can you recommend where I can familiarize their use? Basically, how would I tell MC to use a particular bar for a calculation?

Thanks,

Stork

TJ

Postby TJ » 20 Feb 2012

TJ

As an ex-TradeStaion user, I haven't used multiple data streams on MC. Can you recommend where I can familiarize their use? Basically, how would I tell MC to use a particular bar for a calculation?

Thanks,

Stork
MultiCharts multi data works the same as TS.

See post #4
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

wall richard

Postby wall richard » 07 Mar 2012

TJ

Thank you for your replies. They were most helpful. Another question is how to call a single bar from say 3 data streams. Example: call a single 8 minute bar followed by calling a single 10 minute bar then finally calling a single 15 minute bar.

Thanks,

Rick

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Mar 2012

TJ

Thank you for your replies. They were most helpful. Another question is how to call a single bar from say 3 data streams. Example: call a single 8 minute bar followed by calling a single 10 minute bar then finally calling a single 15 minute bar.

Thanks,

Rick
Please see FAQ post #4
Multiple time frame, Multi-Data Analysis
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

Return to “MultiCharts”