[AutoTrading] How to get initial margin & maintenance margin

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
JoshM

[AutoTrading] How to get initial margin & maintenance margin

Postby JoshM » 01 Apr 2012

While looking at the recently added Accounts & Positions reserved words, I was wondering whether it was possible to get the initial margin and the maintenance margin from the broker?

I think it would be handy to be able to access these values, since certain brokers (like IB) don't have a fixed intraday margin value of x dollar, so it would be helpful if the strategy can check the required margin for the instrument before placing an automated trade.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: [AutoTrading] How to get initial margin & maintenance ma

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Apr 2012

Hello Josh,

Unfortunately that is not possible to get the initial margin and the maintenance margin from the broker with the help of PowerLanguage Editor at the moment.

JoshM

Re: [AutoTrading] How to get initial margin & maintenance ma

Postby JoshM » 02 Apr 2012

Thanks Henry.

I saw that Martin already made a similar feature request for this (thanks Martin :) ).
Please vote! ;)

pcrespo

Re: [AutoTrading] How to get initial margin & maintenance margin

Postby pcrespo » 14 Apr 2020

Bump. Was this ability ever added?

rrams

Postby rrams » 14 Apr 2020

Margin? That thing traders use which most determines their risk of ruin?

If you're going to dream then dream big. Since you are unlikely to get those PowerLanguage keywords ever; why not submit a new request to have the current margin of your choice automatically filled in to the QuoteManager field when you connect to the symbol? Make it update automatically. That's how trading execution platforms should work. Then you would just use the already available Margin keyword.

But I'll vote for your small dream too.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 15 Apr 2020

Bump. Was this ability ever added?
I'm not sure. The feature request says it's released, but I don't see what the PowerLanguage keyword/function would be.

Perhaps with `GetRTAccountNetWorth()`? The help page isn't that descriptive and can't test so don't know for sure.

pcrespo

Postby pcrespo » 20 Apr 2020

I've thought of a solution available to some people, requiring the ability to simultaneously trade real and paper.

Have a paper strategy enter a position however often the margin changes. Use the existing commands to find out the initial and maintenance margin. Then pass that info to the real-money strategy.

pcrespo

Postby pcrespo » 29 Apr 2020

Here's what I've been doing to successfully auto-update the margin. In the same PT portfolio as my trading strategy, I run the following strategy in parallel on the same instrument:

Code: Select all

[AllowSendOrdersAlways = False] input: acctCode(2); vars: intrabarpersist LBOC(false), intrabarpersist sentEntry(false), intrabarpersist sentExit(false), intrabarpersist prevdate(0); LBOC = LBOC or (LastBarOnChart_s and date=currentdate); if LBOC then begin if date>prevdate then begin sentEntry = false; sentExit = false; prevdate = date; end; if (sentExit=false) and MarketPosition_at_Broker=0 and (barstatus=2 or sentEntry) and strtonum(tm_account_str_value2(acctCode,"Net Liquidation")) = tm_account_num_value(acctCode, 1001) then begin sentEntry = true; buy 1 contract this bar close; end else if MarketPosition_at_Broker_for_The_Strategy>0 then begin pmm_set_global_named_num("init",strtonum(tm_account_str_value2(acctCode,"Margin"))); if (barstatus=2 or sentExit) then begin sentExit = true; sell all contracts this bar close; end; end; end;
That strategy is trading on the paper profile. I created a custom session in QM just for it, starting at the instrument's session open (which is when the margin changes) and ending very shortly thereafter. All it needs to do is enter one position a day, find out the margin and then exit. The rest of the day it can be asleep. The next day, since the date has changed, the flags are reset and the condition for entry is again be satisfied.

My trading strategy then uses pmm_get_global_named_num("init") to grab the initial margin from the paper strategy. My broker is IB, whose maintenance margin is always 80% of the initial margin, so my code above only pulls the initial margin.

If you want to use that signal, you have to find out the number to enter into the "acctCode" input, corresponding to whichever paper account you want to trade with. You can find it out with a paper test:

Code: Select all

for value1=1 to tm_accounts_count begin if "DUxxxxx" = tm_account_str_value(value1, 2000) then print(file("..."), value1); end;

Return to “MultiCharts”