Windows inside a workspace become misaligned

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
iso

Windows inside a workspace become misaligned

Postby iso » 25 May 2012

Hi,

It looks like windows inside a workspace become misaligned over time. In the attached snapshot I had all of the chart windows aligned by going to the toolbar and selecting "Window" --> "Arrange All". The red lines show how the charts moved and now there is a space. Over time they keep moving more and more. This bug keeps coming back in each new version, here's a link to when I reported it last year.

http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... iso#p44526

I am using MC 8.0 Beta 3

Thanks
Attachments
12-05-25 10.08.50001.png
(115.25 KiB) Downloaded 2199 times

arnie

Re: Windows inside a workspace become misaligned

Postby arnie » 25 May 2012

Yes, it's something I've noticed also.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 26 May 2012

This behaviour by MC annoys me a lot.

vking

Postby vking » 27 May 2012

I notice an issue with text being displayed as well on the chart ( Text_New). Initially when the text is drawn it appears fine but with every tick - last few digits(in this case "20.75") would become "thick". If I move the chart back and move forward - it would become normal. Initially I suspected this is something to do with code - but the same code worked fine in TS. Interestingly it's only few digits that would be "thicker" gradually with every tick and when a new bar forms - everything would be normal and the issue pops-up with every tick. when I move the chart back-and-forth text becomes normal.
Attachments
MC_Text_Issue.png
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 2208 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 May 2012

I notice an issue with text being displayed as well on the chart ( Text_New). Initially when the text is drawn it appears fine but with every tick - last few digits(in this case "20.75") would become "thick". If I move the chart back and move forward - it would become normal. Initially I suspected this is something to do with code - but the same code worked fine in TS. Interestingly it's only few digits that would be "thicker" gradually with every tick and when a new bar forms - everything would be normal and the issue pops-up with every tick. when I move the chart back-and-forth text becomes normal.
I had this before.
It is a code issue. Don't know what was the TS difference, but once the code was corrected, the text was fine.

vking

Postby vking » 27 May 2012

Thanks TJ. If it is a code issue - it doesn't explain the reason why this would get corrected when the chart is moved back-and-forth and also doesn't explain the issue - why only last few digits are impacted rather than the full string. Was it happening to you in the past? Do you happen to remember what was the fix?

PS: I would also try to create a simplified code and see if I can isolate..

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 May 2012

Hi,

It looks like windows inside a workspace become misaligned over time. In the attached snapshot I had all of the chart windows aligned by going to the toolbar and selecting "Window" --> "Arrange All". The red lines show how the charts moved and now there is a space. Over time they keep moving more and more. This bug keeps coming back in each new version, here's a link to when I reported it last year.
I am using MC 8.0 Beta 3
Thanks
Hello Iso,

We are investigating this issue. I will keep you updated.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 May 2012

Thanks TJ. If it is a code issue - it doesn't explain the reason why this would get corrected when the chart is moved back-and-forth and also doesn't explain the issue - why only last few digits are impacted rather than the full string. Was it happening to you in the past? Do you happen to remember what was the fix?

Thanks
Hello Vking,

Please share the simplified code for reproducing the issue and we will analyze it.
Also let us know what is your chart resolution and what version and build number of MultiCharts you are running.

vking

Postby vking » 29 May 2012

Edit - The simplied code also has an issue with MC after few ticks - Updated prior statement.
Last edited by vking on 04 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.

vking

Postby vking » 30 May 2012

FYI - So far - the same code as is working fine in TS and not in MC (without any code changes).

at this time - as this is not really a show stopper for me in MC - I would wait till windows alignment issue is resolved before spending any more time on this issue.

Thanks.

vking

Postby vking » 30 May 2012

Henry - Chart/resolution doesn't matter as this happens with any chart/instrument/resolution.

I was using 8 beta 3 and now this happens with 8 release candidate as well.

Thanks

Thanks
Hello Vking,

Please share the simplified code for reproducing the issue and we will analyze it.
Also let us know what is your chart resolution and what version and build number of MultiCharts you are running.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Jun 2012

Henry - At this point of time - it does look like a code issue to me(as the simplified code works fine). However I am unable to isolate the issue yet(have doubled checked as well as same code works fine in TS where as in MC - I see ghost characters for last few digits after few ticks). Would check it out when time permits.

Thanks.
Hello Vking,

Please send me the TS source code causing the issue in MultiCharts, the workspace you are using and a detailed guide for reproducing the issue (or a video) to support@multicharts.com
We will investigate this issue in our environment.

vking

Postby vking » 03 Jun 2012

Henry - Please use this sample code on ES instrument & 5 minute chart(Chart/resolution doesn't matter - but in my case - I am using ESM12 (TS data) and 5 minute chart). Watch it for few ticks into the bar you would notice the last few digits/Text to become bold. You can just click on the scrollbar and the text becomes normal and after few ticks the issue repeats. If you can't reproduce this issue on your end - I can demonstrate live. Attached is the image that would demonstrate this issue.

PS: The same code works fine as is in TS without any issues.

Thanks

Code: Select all

Vars: PCLV_TextID(0);
Vars: HorzOffSet(10);
Vars: Text_Str("");
Vars: PCLV(0);

Once begin
PCLV_TextID=Text_new(Date,Time,PCLV,numtostr(PCLV,2));
Text_SetLocation(PCLV_TextID,Date,Time+HorzOffSet,PCLV);
Text_SetColor(PCLV_TextID,Green);
Text_SetStyle(PCLV_TextID,0,0);
end;

if barstatus(1)=2 then begin
PCLV=Close;
if PCLV_TextID<>0 then begin
Text_Str=NumtoStr(PCLV,2)+"(PCL)";
Text_SetString(PCLV_TextID,Text_Str);
Text_SetLocation(PCLV_TextID,Date,Time+HorzOffset,Close);
end;
end;
Attachments
MC_Text_Ind_Scaling.png
Attached is the indicator scaling setting.
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 2177 times
MC_Text_Issue2.png
Please see the last few digits/characters of the text. If you just click on the Scrollbar it would become normal - but the issue repeats after sometime.
(3.73 KiB) Downloaded 2178 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 04 Jun 2012

Henry - Please use this sample code on ES instrument & 5 minute chart(Chart/resolution doesn't matter - but in my case - I am using ESM12 (TS data) and 5 minute chart). Watch it for few ticks into the bar you would notice the last few digits/Text to become bold. You can just click on the scrollbar and the text becomes normal and after few ticks the issue repeats. If you can't reproduce this issue on your end - I can demonstrate live. Attached is the image that would demonstrate this issue.
Yes, this happens to me too when using my own studies but this is something that comes from the past, version 6 or 7, this is not a version 8 issue.

vking

Postby vking » 04 Jun 2012

Thanks Arnie. Yes - i have noticed this issue with earlier versions also - but haven't reported the issue as this was not bothering me much. As the topic was raised for windows mis-alignment - thought of bringing up this issue.

Thanks.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 04 Jun 2012

We are investigating this issue. I will keep you updated.
Henry, were you able to reprduce the misalignment issue?

vking

Postby vking » 05 Jun 2012

Henry - FYI: I have also demonstrated the same issue ( text becoming bold) to Andrew today - using the same sample code posted earlier.

Thanks.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 06 Jun 2012

I am using MC 8.0 Beta 3
Thanks for reporting this. It also occurs with MC 7.4 (Build 4906) with windows that were positioned manually (without the use of the Window -> Arrange All option).
screenshot.728.png
(134.47 KiB) Downloaded 2172 times
I don't know if it's related, but I've noticed this behaviour only occurring after I made a chart in another workspace detached and sticky. Might be just a coincidence though.

I also have a problem with detached windows and stickiness, but haven't reported it yet since I hope that MC 8 release might fix this. However, I mention it there since it might be related:
screenshot.729.png
(66.71 KiB) Downloaded 2180 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Jun 2012

Hi,
I am using MC 8.0 Beta 3
Thanks
When a workspace is opened inside MultiCharts window there is 1 pix imprecision (due to mapping algorithm imprecision). Each time the main MultiCharts window size is changed and a workspace is opened-imprecision is accumulated. This results in windows become misaligned.

The solution is to keep main MultiCharts window size constant (maximized or minimized) or sometimes go to Window tab and click on Arrange all.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 07 Jun 2012

The solution is to keep main MultiCharts window size constant (maximized or minimized) or sometimes go to Window tab and click on Arrange all.
How about the following solution: you will somehow fix it :) so that we do not need to remember to keep the main Multicharts window constant?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Jun 2012

How about the following solution: you will somehow fix it :) so that we do not need to remember to keep the main Multicharts window constant?
That will require re-writing the whole mapping algorithm. Currently we are focused on other more important features and improvements. Probably we will get back to this subject in the future.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Jun 2012

I don't know if it's related, but I've noticed this behaviour only occurring after I made a chart in another workspace detached and sticky. Might be just a coincidence though.
I also have a problem with detached windows and stickiness, but haven't reported it yet since I hope that MC 8 release might fix this. However, I mention it there since it might be related:
Hello Josh,

Can this behaviour be easily reproduced? I was unable to replicate it in our environment.

Please capture a video demonstrating this behavior and let me know what is your video card model. Also send me a screenshot of your system properties (For Windows Vista/7 you can find this information here: Control Panel\System and Security\System or right click on the Computer icon and select properties. For Windows XP you can find this information here: Control Panel\System\General or right click on the Computer icon and select properties) to support@multicharts.com

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Jun 2012

PS: The same code works fine as is in TS without any issues.

Thanks

Code: Select all

Vars: PCLV_TextID(0);
Vars: HorzOffSet(10);
Vars: Text_Str("");
Vars: PCLV(0);

Once begin
PCLV_TextID=Text_new(Date,Time,PCLV,numtostr(PCLV,2));
Text_SetLocation(PCLV_TextID,Date,Time+HorzOffSet,PCLV);
Text_SetColor(PCLV_TextID,Green);
Text_SetStyle(PCLV_TextID,0,0);
end;

if barstatus(1)=2 then begin
PCLV=Close;
if PCLV_TextID<>0 then begin
Text_Str=NumtoStr(PCLV,2)+"(PCL)";
Text_SetString(PCLV_TextID,Text_Str);
Text_SetLocation(PCLV_TextID,Date,Time+HorzOffset,Close);
end;
end;
Please try the following solution:
In MultiCharts go to File -> Preferences -> Appearance -> enable the option
"Improve visual appearance of drawing tools".
The indicator plot should be correct when this option is enabled.

vking

Postby vking » 14 Jun 2012

Henry - the option you have recommended didn't help in this case.

thanks.

iso

Postby iso » 18 May 2016

Hello,

This behavior is still happening with the latest beta MultiCharts64 Version 10.0 Beta 1 (Build 12709)

Is it possible to get this fixed?

Thanks so much

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 May 2016

Hello iso,

The description I have provided above is still applied. Unfortunately there is no technical possibility for changing it within the current architecture.
When a workspace is opened inside MultiCharts window there is 1 pix imprecision (due to mapping algorithm imprecision). Each time the main MultiCharts window size is changed and a workspace is opened-imprecision is accumulated. This results in windows become misaligned.

Return to “MultiCharts”