Important - MultiCharts users, we need your opinion now

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Stan Bokov

Important - MultiCharts users, we need your opinion now

Postby Stan Bokov » 24 Jul 2012

Hey guys,

On other sites some people like to smear MultiCharts, spreading false information. Maybe to raise their self-esteem or their sales, who knows.

Here is a prime example - http://www.elitetrader.com/so/?action=v ... ductID=123, see review by 'funnyguy'.

Your independent opinion is very important to us, we need your help to combat stuff like this. If MultiCharts was useful to you, if you like the product, then respond to this guy and let him know what you think.

People like this need to be answered properly, so they don't mislead the public. Then we can focus on what really matters, which is developing a yet better product for you guys.

JoshM

Re: Important - MultiCharts users, we need your opinion now

Postby JoshM » 24 Jul 2012

Your independent opinion is very important to us, we need your help to combat stuff like this. If MultiCharts was useful to you, if you like the product, then respond to this guy and let him know what you think.
That's true, and I agree that these malicious reviews are a big waste of energy and give a false negative impression.

I don't understand what his point is about a slow data import, since that's something you do once after installing MC on a fresh/new computer, and then you don't have to do it again. So I don't see the problem with a data import that lasted more than two minutes. A commercial break on a television show last longer than that.

And that the backtest of MC might be slower than competitors can easily be due to the Bar Magnifier which allows us to backtest on a real tick-by-tick basis. Of course high-precision backtesting takes longer than just looking at the Open, High, Low, and Close of a candle. I say 'might' here, since I don't have tested the backtest speed on multiple platforms, with the same data, on the same pc, and with the same (quality of) programming code, and the same settings -- but I suspect this negative reviewer also haven't done such a thorough test.

I'm happy with MultiCharts 8 -- it's a superb platform, stable & quick, and with good support.

I know you asked to post it on ET, but I can't since I don't have the required 30 posts, and if I post like crazy, well, that would be very suspicious. I think that if I post it here, with an account already more than a year old, it might have some weight. Though I think I'm only 'preaching to the choir' now so to speak. :)

evdl

Postby evdl » 25 Jul 2012

With MC 8 64 bit, multicharts took a big step up compared to the earlier versions. And from what I see in the reviews on Elite is that the latest reviews are mainly very positive.

Only the older versions has some less positive reviews. Ofcourse there are points to improve (that's why you have the project management part on your site), but that is with every product.

Reacting to bad critics (even if it is not true) is in my opinion, waste of energy, and will give it more attention than it deserves.

If you keep up the good work and keep listening to your customers as you already do, I think you don't have anything to worry about and the product will speak for itself.

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 Jul 2012

Never argue with a fanboy.
Never reply to a fanboy.
Let him talk himself out.
Smart consumers always do their own due diligence. Let them decide.

arnie

Postby arnie » 26 Jul 2012

Hi Stan.

Well, going to an argument with someone that's only reporting what he think is wrong with MC it's like an argument with a woman because the number of shoes she has in the closet. It's pointless, you get no where...

Naturally that in this case, we are talking about a review, which is a bit different, not a mere forum thread, although with people responding to each other it looks more a forum thread and not a review per se. Nevertheless, in the end we end up offending each other and nothing good can come from that.

When users are asked to review something themselves, companies need to be prepared for everything. Users are not bound by any sense of fairness, at least the majority of them. It's a simple hate or love affair, there's no middle ground, not in an industry where you have a lot of competition. And if we talk about the fast pace financial markets things are even worst. Seconds becomes an eternity.
I remember a couple of years ago having problems with the time it took for MC to load a simple chart. Some was resolved with the continuous MC evolution, some was resolved by simply change my HHD to a SSD. This actually made a HUGE difference.

Recently I could see in first hand how hardware can make a HUGE difference in how well a program works. I have had the SSD experience with MC and recently I have experienced with computer memory and how it prevents a program to perform some tasks. It blown my mind.

Personally I couldn't be more happy with MC. It's not only my chart platform but also my trading platform since I use its DOM for giving orders.
Sure, there are many things that I'm not happy with, mainly features that are not YET available, forcing me to add a second chart platform, but in the end, if we think about it, it's not possible to have every single tool in one program, well, maybe it's possible but not in the time frame that we users want them.
Sure, there are tools already available that needs to be enhanced since they are outdated when compared with some of the competition. But all of this comes with time, I hope...

It couldn't be more stable. It don't crash (I'm talking about the final version, not the betas ;) ), fast in loading charts, fast in applying studies (depending naturally of the length of the data loaded)...

Unfortunately most users don't have the patience nor the time to learn to work and understand how things work, software and hardware wise.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 26 Jul 2012

I think it was a mistake to leave Big Mike's board, many frustrated NT traders were on the edge of coming to the MC side and have now backed off. MC's involvement in trading boards like Big Mike's, helps build a positive Reputation and will bring converts to the MC side...all it would take is a few minutes a day, to answer questions and to listen to the need for helpful features, improvements etc... (I do it myself, when I am qualified to answer)..
Even Big Mike has returned to NT for auto trading needs...(after converting to MC)..due to MC's leaving..
** I personally have traded for 20+ years and been a TS user for 15+ years and it took a superior product, like MC to get me to change platforms. PL being compatible with EL was a major part of it.. (that's what kept me from going NT-steep learning curve to program it)..
Not sure if I'll take the leap to MC.Net or not, since I'm not a programmer, but it does have me curious as to what it is capable of..

txls

Postby txls » 26 Jul 2012

Multicharts, especially in its fresh x64 flavour, has more to offer than I could ever hope for in an EL-compatible trading platform. It's (and has been since 6.0, when I got to know it) very stable, very fast and constantly evolves into something bigger and better.

And special thanks goes to Multicharts LLC for developing and maintaining datafeed and trading (automated as well as manual/DOM) via Quik, something that really sets MC as well as people behind it apart from each and every competitor there is. For those not in the know I should clarify that the datafeed part (at least in my limited understanding) was a rather quirky and nontrivial thing to deliver.

Don't have an acc. on ET (or maybe I do, but forgot about it, either way it has no posts on it), so there goes.

Having said that, I'd also like to suggest some kind of a platform comparison to be posted in the blog and/or here, so that there was some performance-oriented reference. Any and all reviews are subjective, and a vendor usually has to produce some objective data for comparison sake.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 28 Jul 2012

I do not see a "funnyboy" on the link now (searched every page).
Maybe he felt guilty and removed himself. ???

I agree with TJ. Most people will do an automatic tails out (reject the 1 or 2 extremes). They will tend to read the stuff that interests them (features they want) and look for agreement from 2 or 3. I personally am suspicious of excessive criticism thinking it is likely a competitor or just a negative thinking person. If the person is specific about things they like/dislike and says both good and bad things they become more believable. We all know there will be at least a few things that need improvement.

Return to “MultiCharts”