CSI Data - getting started  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mjm

CSI Data - getting started

Postby mjm » 22 Aug 2012

(Summary: unable to see CSI data in MultiCharts.)

I have "CSI Unfair Advantage" (v2.10.7.119) installed on my machine. In CSI, I am able to view chart data without trouble (for example: Chart / New, symbol "AAPL"). I leave the CSI Unfair Advantage window open while working in MultiCharts.

In MultiCharts Quote Manager (v8.0.5622.401, 64-bit), I click the "Data Sources" toolbar icon and see CSI is "Active". When I click "Settings..." nothing happens, I guess meaning there are no settings to configure. I choose Instrument / Add Symbol / From Data Source / CSI, which opens the "Insert Symbols into Portfolio - CSI" dialog. I enter "AAPL" in the Symbol box, leave Exchange as "All Exchanges", and click Lookup. It finds one match:
* Symbol: AAPL
* Description: <empty>
* Exchange: UNDEF
I select AAPL, click Add, and a dialog says "1 Symbol added successfully". The new entry appears in the "Stocks / UNDEF" pane of Quote Manager.

In MultiCharts64, I click the "Create New Chart Window" toolbar icon, which opens the "Format Instrument" dialog. I choose Data Source "CSI", which shows the one AAPL entry. I select it and say OK. A new chart window is created, but it is empty. The top status bar shows:
AAPL 1 Day Trade UNDEF CSI Stocks No Data

The Quote Manager Event Log pane does not show any activity.

Back in the Quote Manager, I try "Insert Symbols into Portfolio - CSI" again and this time enter "AA" for symbol. Now the Lookup button returns 99 matches (such as "@AAE-I", "@AAI-I", etc), suggesting that there is some contact between Quote Manager and CSI.

In Portfolio Backtester, I try Insert Instruments and then chose Data Source "CSI" and select the "AAPL" symbol. When I click the BackTest icon, the "Loading Data..." dialog appears with an entry saying Instrument "AAPL, CSI" Status "No Data".

When I follow a similar procedure with IQFeed as a data source, I get historical data as expected.

The Help file (Quote Manager / Setting Data Sources / Built-in Data Sources) doesn't mention CSI.

The Wiki (https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... ex.php/CSI) says "In order to receive data in MultiCharts, the data should be loaded first in CSI software." I'm not sure what that means but maybe that is my missing step.

Can anyone see what I need to do?

Thanks,
Mike

Henry MultiСharts

Re: CSI Data - getting started

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Aug 2012

Hello Mike,

There is an issue with callback from CSI software.
It does not return correct symbol list, as the result the data cannot be loaded.
This issue has been forwarded to CSI support. I will keep you updated.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: CSI Data - getting started  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Aug 2012

Mjm, please contact CSI to make sure API is applied to your account.
Once it is settled on their end-you should be able to get the data in MultiCharts.

mjm

Postby mjm » 24 Aug 2012

I talked with Bill at CSI and he found that API calls were not enabled for my account. He enabled them and now I am able to see CSI data in Multicharts.

Thanks!
-Mike

ericvp

Postby ericvp » 19 Dec 2012

I have the same problem as mjm. I am unable to pull data from CSI into a MultiCharts chart.

I spoke with technical support at CSI, and they enabled API access for me. Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem. I spoke with technical support at CSI a second time, but it seems that the problem is not on their end.

Within MultiCharts, I've been able to pull data from Interactive Brokers, Free Quotes, and ASCII Mapping, but CSI seems to be stumping me. I can chart data with the CSI client, Unfair Advantage.

I can manually pull instrument names from CSI using Quote Manger (Instrument > Add Symbol > From Data Source > CSI > enter symbol IBM. The MultiCharts Quote Manager Event Log shows four lines for this activity:
Establishing connection to CSI...
Connection is OK.
Connecting to symbollist data for IBM
Disconnecting from CSI...

But, when I subsequently try to use IBM in a Chart, or in Portfolio Backtester, it says No Data.

I had most recently been working with ASCII Mapped data. I remembered to change Data Server Mode from "Offline" to "Online", with "Download missing historical data" also checked.

From Quote Manger > Tools > Data Sources > CSI, if I click the "Settings..." button, nothing happens. I wonder if this is a hint as to what is going wrong.

Thanks,
Eric

Environment:
* Windows 7, 64-bit OS, Xeon quad processor
* MultiCharts version 8.0 Build 5620
* CSI Unfair Advantage 2.10.7.119

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Dec 2012

ericvp, please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate the issue remotely and we will collect all required for analysis information. To do that click on Live Chat icon at the top of our web page https://www.multicharts.com/ or use this direct link http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html
We will do our best to help you.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Jan 2013

Resolved by clean installation of MultiCharts.

Return to “MultiCharts”