how to unmap ascii mapping?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
chi jeongki

how to unmap ascii mapping?

Postby chi jeongki » 04 Sep 2012

I have imported one year of text data for a symbol.
Then, I "ascii mapped" today's data for the symbol.
Now, I can chart only today's data for the symbol.
But I can still read one year data from the quote manager Edit Data.

I want to unmap today's data for the symbol.
MC manual has no instruction to unmap ascii mapping which I have done intentionally or accidentally.

How can I view all the list of ascii mappings and delete those mappings?

chi jeongki

Re: how to unmap ascii mapping?

Postby chi jeongki » 05 Sep 2012

For (Symbol, DataSource) pair, two data set can be related, if DataSource is "ASCII Mapping".

1. Create symbol with Data Source "ASCII Mapping".
2. Import text data to the symbol.
3. Ascii Map the symbol to a text data file. text file name should be Symbol.txt exactly.

Now, quote manager has one (Symbol, DataSource) for example (test, ASCII Mapping).
But chart can not access imported data. I guess ASCII Mapping has higer precedence than imported data.

Conclusion: Select as Data Source other than ASCII Mapping, when you import text data file for offline analysis. In this rare case, ASCII Mapping can hide imported data.
If you accidently hid imported data, delete the symol and reimport.

For offline analysis of text file data, adhere to one of import or mapping consistently.
I prefer importing for better performance and flexibility.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: how to unmap ascii mapping?  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 05 Sep 2012

ASCII mapping does not import data into the database (Edit data window will be empty). It creates a link from the software to the file with data. Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol-the data is taken from the file directly. You do not need to redo the mapping or add the data to the database.
If the line is added to the end of the file, it will appear on the chart at bar close time or after you do the reload (Ctrl+R). ASCII mapping automatically creates an instrument with the name corresponding to the file name.

ASCII import is one time data import. It can be done for any instrument with any of the available datafeeds.
1. Create symbol with Data Source "ASCII Mapping".
2. Import text data to the symbol.
3. Ascii Map the symbol to a text data file. text file name should be Symbol.txt exactly.

Now, quote manager has one (Symbol, DataSource) for example (test, ASCII Mapping).
But chart can not access imported data. I guess ASCII Mapping has higer precedence than imported data.
That is expected behavior. You should not import data into the instrument you have ASCII mapped.

If you need to "unmap" the instrument - you need to change the datafeed for this instrument (to Universal DDE for ex.) or delete it and create anew.

klkwan

Postby klkwan » 11 Oct 2012

Hi, Henry
Thanks for your info. I'm just starting to use ascii mapping too.
But my chart will shows 2 bars for same current day once it automactically update the ascii file.
I have to press ctl+r for refesh the chart, and then that 2 same day bars will normally combine back to today current bar.

Does it correct? Or do I miss something?
Also, I views 6 charts at once, does it I must ctl+r one by one for refresh and combine back in one bar?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
(152.73 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 15 Oct 2012

Hi, Henry
Thanks for your info. I'm just starting to use ascii mapping too.
But my chart will shows 2 bars for same current day once it automactically update the ascii file.
I have to press ctl+r for refesh the chart, and then that 2 same day bars will normally combine back to today current bar.

Does it correct? Or do I miss something?
Also, I views 6 charts at once, does it I must ctl+r one by one for refresh and combine back in one bar?
Hello klkwan,

Please make sure that your instrument sessions (QuoteManager->Edits symbol->Sessions tab) correspond to the sessions used in your ASCII File.

Reload thorugh Ctrl+R will only reload the current active chart window. If you want to reload all charts at once you need to use ".rld glob" command for command line. Source: MC Wiki:Reloading_Charts

Return to “MultiCharts”