Scaling of MA on RSI  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Meecc

Scaling of MA on RSI

Postby Meecc » 09 Jan 2013

I have added moving average exponential with input price of (rsi (close,14))
and display it on subchart#2 where the rsi (close,14) resides.
The problem is that
the scaling of the Ma (of RSI) and the RSI itself on subchart#2
do not match nor move in tandem when scrolling through the time scale.

eg. as in the pict attached both lines depicted on the same y scale level
but they reads different level - RSI 57.29 MA 48 .

I have tried on many combination of scaling setting :
screen , same as instrument etc. still not get it going.

I also tried rescale (left click, hold, drag up or down) the ma y scale on right side
to match the rsi on the left side, it only work for the current screen,
but not when scrolled through time.

Please suggest the way of setting to solve and make them readily readable.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
SCALE of MA and RSI.jpg
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 1186 times

TJ

Re: Scaling of MA on RSI  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 09 Jan 2013

Right click on chart,

Select Format Indicators
Under the Studies tab, select the study,
Under the Scaling tab,
Choose User Defined
Enter into data boxes Maximum:100, Minimum: 0.

Do the same for both indicators.

Meecc

Re: Scaling of MA on RSI

Postby Meecc » 09 Jan 2013

Thank you very much TJ,

Got it .

synonym

Re: Scaling of MA on RSI NOT SOLVED. A Make or Break issue.

Postby synonym » 05 Jun 2018

Please Help TJ. I really hope you can help me find a satisfactory solution to this...otherwise MC is of no use to me at all. There are at least 2 issues here, one you might find a quick answer, the other...i'm not so sure.

1. I was amazed to find that i am having difficulty in getting an indicator based on an indicator to scale properly. The scaling option "same as instrument" should work just fine, but it simply doesn't draw the child indicator. You can get the child to draw properly if you use the scaling workaround you outlined above.

But, if you move the screen around by the drag function OR if you simply click the reset scale button, you lose your indicator scaling completely. And this is not avoided by ticking the "set as default" box on the scaling window.

2. What happens when you want to plot a child indicator on an unbounded indicator (i.e. one that does not have an upper or lower limit)? Yes you could put a very high and a very low max and min scaling range, but this squashes most of the indicator's action into the centre of that large scale. Making it small and hard to read.

Thanks
Chris

TJ

Re: Scaling of MA on RSI NOT SOLVED. A Make or Break issue.

Postby TJ » 05 Jun 2018

Please Help TJ. I really hope you can help me find a satisfactory solution to this...otherwise MC is of no use to me at all. There are at least 2 issues here, one you might find a quick answer, the other...i'm not so sure.

1. I was amazed to find that i am having difficulty in getting an indicator based on an indicator to scale properly. The scaling option "same as instrument" should work just fine, but it simply doesn't draw the child indicator. You can get the child to draw properly if you use the scaling workaround you outlined above.

But, if you move the screen around by the drag function OR if you simply click the reset scale button, you lose your indicator scaling completely. And this is not avoided by ticking the "set as default" box on the scaling window.

2. What happens when you want to plot a child indicator on an unbounded indicator (i.e. one that does not have an upper or lower limit)? Yes you could put a very high and a very low max and min scaling range, but this squashes most of the indicator's action into the centre of that large scale. Making it small and hard to read.

Thanks
Chris

Please post a chart to illustrate your problem.

synonym

For problem 1. A screen shot will not help. As using the scaling settings you mention you can get it to draw properly, but once you either drag the indicator chart around, or drag the price chart around and then use the reset button, you loose the "user defined" scaling you mentioned. This screws how the mave draws.

For 2. Just plot for example an RSI and changed the scaling user defined margins to max: 200 and min -100. And there's the problem - the oscillator is squeezed into the centre of the chart.

synonym

I've just downloaded a free version of NT and it draws the RSI and the average perfectly and they stay locked together no matter what you do in navigating the chart...

synonym

Any user solved the problems i outlined in my post on indicator scaling?

Postby synonym » 06 Jun 2018

Hi All
forgive me posting this, but i felt that many would not look at my post on the end of the thread "Scaling of MA on RSI. SOLVED". I thought it important as it seems that the most basic of functions isn't performed correctly.

I can't believe that a user has not found a solution. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has found an answer if they would share it.

Thanks in advance
Syn

ABC

Re: Any user solved the problems i outlined in my post on indicator scaling?

Postby ABC » 07 Jun 2018

synonym,

one solution would be to do it within one study. Either write your own or use the Custom 4 Line indicator to display the RSI, the average of it and the two threshold lines.

Regards,

ABC
Hi All
forgive me posting this, but i felt that many would not look at my post on the end of the thread "Scaling of MA on RSI. SOLVED". I thought it important as it seems that the most basic of functions isn't performed correctly.

I can't believe that a user has not found a solution. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has found an answer if they would share it.

Thanks in advance
Syn

synonym

Postby synonym » 07 Jun 2018

Well wow ABC, you are a absolute Star!! Thank you so much for your help.

MC should use you on a consultation basis for support and development.

I have been working with MC support in trying to resolve this and i simply could not find a way that was satisfactory to me...as you'll know being able to trust chart accuracy and clarity is fundamental in trading.

I was coming to the conclusion that MC would not be for me. Shame as i'm a longtime lifetime licence holder. You've also solved another issue that support currently have not. The scaling of unbounded custom indicators. I could use the Custom 4 line you pointed me to and set the inputs as my custom indicators. Thank you!

I don't know if you're able to answer here. But i'd be interested in knowing how much your coding work costs.

Thanks so much.
Syn

ABC

Postby ABC » 07 Jun 2018

synonym,

thank you for you kind words, I am glad to hear that my answer was helpful to you.

Regards,

ABC

Return to “MultiCharts”