Using an indicator change strategy profit targets

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
PD Quig

Using an indicator change strategy profit targets

Postby PD Quig » 28 Jan 2013

Has anybody experimented with using an indicator to feed override changes to profit target(s) to a strategy that is running live? Rather than turning off the automation, making changes to the strategy inputs, and then turning the automation back on, I have been thinking about using an indicator to do so. Since indicators can be changed without causing automation to shut off, this seems like an approach that might be less prone to causing automation brokerage synch problems.

My profit targets are all calculated initially, but based on daily pivots, gaps, other significant support / resistance, etc, sometimes I want to override a target or two after a position has been opened by an automated strategy.

Any cautions, thoughts, ideas, examples from the assembled brain trust?

Thanks,

PDQ

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Using an indicator change strategy profit targets

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 29 Jan 2013

Hello PD Quig,

Unfortunately it is not possible to change any strategy inputs without changing them manually. By using GV you can only calculate variables in your indicators and pass them to your signal, you can't change inputs in the signal by this.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 29 Jan 2013

Andrew,

I don't need to change a strategy input: I need to update the value of a strategy variable that when present overrides the strategy target input. Sounds like it might be able to do that.

PDQ

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jan 2013

You can insert real time input into a study (both indicator and strategy) through drawing objects.
It is a long an tedious process to code. Dangerous too, if you do the wrong thing, your strategy can lose you big money.

As a start, you can look up the following keywords:

Text_Get****
TL_Get****

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 29 Jan 2013

Thanks for the links, TJ. I'll check them out.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 30 Jan 2013

My profit targets are all calculated initially, but based on daily pivots, gaps, other significant support / resistance, etc, sometimes I want to override a target or two after a position has been opened by an automated strategy.
I thought that you could use a strategy (signal) to enter the market and then use chart trading to adjust your stops/profit targets. So the signal gets you into a position and the Chart Trading and stored strategy place default profit targets & stops, that can then be adjusted to suit the current market action.

Isn't this what you had in mind, ie after trade entered manually adjust targets etc?

Neil.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 30 Jan 2013

I thought that you could use a strategy (signal) to enter the market and then use chart trading to adjust your stops/profit targets. So the signal gets you into a position and the Chart Trading and stored strategy place default profit targets & stops, that can then be adjusted to suit the current market action.
If NW27 is right and you are interested in this scenario, please read about how auto trading and manual trading can be combined in current version of MultiCharts.

PD Quig

Postby PD Quig » 30 Jan 2013

Thanks NW, but I don't want to expose my exit orders to the market. I want them held locally until the price is hit and then released--knowing that there may be a slippage penalty to be paid for the stealth. It would be great if MC would implement that option (stealth orders) in Chart Trading.

BTW: NT has that feature (called "Simulated Order") in their version of chart trading.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 12 Feb 2013

Thanks NW, but I don't want to expose my exit orders to the market. I want them held locally until the price is hit and then released--knowing that there may be a slippage penalty to be paid for the stealth. It would be great if MC would implement that option (stealth orders) in Chart Trading.

BTW: NT has that feature (called "Simulated Order") in their version of chart trading.
You are welcome to vote for the respective feature request.

Please answer the following questions:
  1. For what particular brokers would you like to support this feature from MultiCharts?
  2. What should be the base for offset calculation for such simulated stops: asks/bids or mid price?
  3. Should the simulated stop orders be available both for auto trading and for manual trading?
  4. Should the simulated stop orders be available in DOM, Chart Trading Panel and Trade Bar?

Return to “MultiCharts”