Strange PC behaviour after MC RC update

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
DRCM

Strange PC behaviour after MC RC update

Postby DRCM » 06 Feb 2013

Hello,

don`t want to start blaming MC release candidate straight away, but after I updated it yesterday my PC experienced some kind of freezing. It happened twice so far, never had such a problem on this PC earlier (at all) and it is quite powerful computer and it happens only when MultiCharts running.
So, updated MC to new version (RC), started as admin first, then closed and when I tryed to open again it took ages to start, had to force "end process" after 10-15mins through windows task manager. After that all my programs became very very slow, actually to open any of them took 5-10 mins. After PC reboot all backs to normal. Today again... this time MC started properly, but after some time I open QM, data export window and it started hanging even before i started exporting data. Closed MC, it took quite a while and my PC became very very slow again like 1st time.
Question: have anyone experienced such a strange behaviour or similar to that after MC update?

Thanks

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Strange PC behaviour after MC RC update

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Feb 2013

Hello DRCM,

Is there any antivirus/firewall running on your PC? Have you tried disabling it?
If you are able to replicate this behavior wth antivirus/firewall=off please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST so that we can connect to your PC and check out what is slowing down MultiCharts/your PC.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 06 Feb 2013

Hello DRCM,

Is there any antivirus/firewall running on your PC? Have you tried disabling it?
If you are able to replicate this behavior wth antivirus/firewall=off please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST so that we can connect to your PC and check out what is slowing down MultiCharts/your PC.
Hello,

I don`t know why my anti-virus or firewall should start suddenly blocking MC process if it never happened before unless you changed something related to it in the new MC update. I haven`t changed any of PC settings at all after update. As I know MC connecting to your servers for sometime, isn`t it? However, if AntiVirus or firewall blocks something it always shows warning message. I will monitor it closely and contact you if it happens again.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 06 Feb 2013

I don`t know why my anti-virus or firewall should start suddenly blocking MC process if it never happened before
That is possible that slow down is a result of antivirus bases or application components update. We cannot exclude such possibility.
Please keep me updated with your observations.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 07 Feb 2013

I don`t know why my anti-virus or firewall should start suddenly blocking MC process if it never happened before
That is possible that slow down is a result of antivirus bases or application components update. We cannot exclude such possibility.
What exactly MC processes should be included into "Trusted Applications" list on my AntiVirus software (I use Kaspersky). So, far I had only quotemanager.exe to be prevented from scanning?
If I exclude them from monitoring it should help in my case, of course, if problem is with antivirus.

P.S. I think the problem reappears only when I try to launch one of the MC elements (MC,QM,backtester,3D Opt or PLE) as admin one after other. But I`m not 100% sure about it yet. However.

Thanks

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 07 Feb 2013

What exactly MC processes should be included into "Trusted Applications" list on my AntiVirus software (I use Kaspersky). So, far I had only quotemanager.exe to be prevented from scanning?
If I exclude them from monitoring it should help in my case, of course, if problem is with antivirus.
In Microsoft Security Essentials, I've listed the following processes under 'Excluded files and locations':

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\MultiCharts\
C:\ProgramData\TS Support\
And under 'Excluded processes' (all from the C:\Program Files\MultiCharts\ folder):

ATCenterServer.exe
LMAXServerHost.exe
MultiCharts.exe
PLEditor.exe
QuoteManager.exe
TradingServer.exe
tsServer.exe
You may especially want to check that last one (tsServer.exe), since I noted that, when MultiCharts downloads data through tsServer.exe, MSE is scanning this process in the background, which gives around double the CPU usage on my pc (and noticeable slower).

DRCM

In Microsoft Security Essentials, I've listed the following processes under 'Excluded files and locations':

C:\Program Files\MultiCharts\
C:\ProgramData\TS Support\
And under 'Excluded processes' (all from the C:\Program Files\MultiCharts\ folder):

ATCenterServer.exe
LMAXServerHost.exe
MultiCharts.exe
PLEditor.exe
QuoteManager.exe
TradingServer.exe
tsServer.exe
You may especially want to check that last one (tsServer.exe), since I noted that, when MultiCharts downloads data through tsServer.exe, MSE is scanning this process in the background, which gives around double the CPU usage on my pc (and noticeable slower).
Thanks JoshM,

I uninstalled release candidate and downgraded back to beta2 already as I had PC slowdown three times today. I'll have a look how its going to work with old version to make sure problem is not related to my PC. Earlier I had only quotemanager.exe under trusted applications on my kaspersky antivirus software and it worked absolutely fine. Will see...

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 07 Feb 2013

Maybe just turn OFF your anitvirus and see if there is a slowdown..
I use "Avast" (free version) antivirus and it works great with the latest version of MC..been on non-stop for 3 days and no increase in CPU or slowdown..

DRCM

Hello,

what happened next... uninstalled MC RC, rebooted PC, installed MC b2. Then right mouse click on QuoteManager icon "run as administrator"(because as I know we always need first time to run as admin after installation) and straight away noticed PC slowdown and got this windows warning message on the screen(see screenshot attached below). kept waiting... QM started after approx. 3-5 mins only. that warning message "server busy" kept comming up on the screen continuously, tryed to pause antivirus protection, didn`t help. and what is interesting even if i close all running programs PC stays slow, noticed increased CPU usage, always at the same level, in my case 10%, looks like something is going on, but cant find through windows task manager what exactly cause this increase. 10% is not much at all, but PC really slow, if you try to open any "light" program still takes up to 3-5 mins. After reboot everything backs to normal and again until I try to run MC.
Attachments
serverbusy.JPG
(71.27 KiB) Downloaded 1077 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 07 Feb 2013

If you are an advanced computer user, I would suggest a registry clean up. But this is only for advanced computer user who has experience with registry and not for everyone.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 07 Feb 2013

If you are an advanced computer user, I would suggest a registry clean up. But this is only for advanced computer user who has experience with registry and not for everyone.
I use another "Free" utility called "Advanced System Care", it will do an automatic registry, shortcuts etc, cleanup without risk.. I've used it for years without a problem..

DRCM

One might be interesting thing I found. I start Pc, no running programs exept antivirus(btw, i set whole MC folder as trusted plus all MC exe files separately as trusted) and task manager(in case to see all running processes). I run Quote Manager, all works fine. Close it, waiting until all MC processes close in task manager. When it done I try to launch Quote Manager again and PC slows down. Thats it, then only computer reboot helps.

Btw, thanks guys, but dont want to play with registry files. Bad experience. And all those 3rd party registry cleaners are not recommended As they very often clean up something what they shouldn't clean and finally OS needs to be reinstalled. Had some problems in the past.

DRCM

Postby DRCM » 08 Feb 2013

Hello,

After some reseach yesterday and sleepless night I found that there is a big chance that the problem cause incompatibility between MC RC and Kaspersky Internet Security. I dont know what (MC or Kaspersky) changed something through updates in the last two days. MC works ok if I completely close Kaspersky, if I try to pause antivirus it still doesnt work. I included whole MC (ts support) folder to trusted list, I put multicharts processes as allowed in Kaspersky firewall settings, but no success. I'd like to hear a comment from MC Team asap? Is there any exe or different kind of MC files/processes which are placed not in the main MC folder that can cause all these slowdowns/blockings from antivivirus? I guess should be, otherwise MC set as trusted.
I use Kaspersky for the last 6-7 years and never had such a problem and everything was perfectly compatible with all my trading and non-trading softwares.
I attached 2 screenshots with Kaspersky trusted applications and exclusion rules settings for MC.
Thanks

Windows 7 ultimate x64 (all latest updates), Multicharts rc x64, Kaspersky 13.0.1.4190(latest updates).
Attachments
kasp1.JPG
(172.2 KiB) Downloaded 1078 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Feb 2013

Hello DRCM,

Nothing has changed in the latest versions of MultiCharts that can make it incompatible with any other PC application.
Though from my personal experience I can tell you that I have faced Internet problems and PC slow down due to the Kaspersky Internet Security databases or software update a couple of days ago on one of my PCs. Strangely the other PCs with the same version of KIS were not affected. My Internet provider was also aware of such problems with KIS latest update. Have you tried contacting Kaspersky support?

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST so that we can connect to your PC and have a look at this case.

DRCM

Hello DRCM,

Nothing has changed in the latest versions of MultiCharts that can make it incompatible with any other PC application.
Though from my personal experience I can tell you that I have faced Internet problems and PC slow down due to the Kaspersky Internet Security databases or software update a couple of days ago on one of my PCs. Strangely the other PCs with the same version of KIS were not affected. My Internet provider was also aware of such problems with KIS latest update. Have you tried contacting Kaspersky support?

Please come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST so that we can connect to your PC and have a look at this case.
Hello Henry,

I just tryed to update MC on my laptop, which has installed almost identical softwares with a few minor exceptions. Updated kaspersky first because i didnt use my laptop for ~ 5 days, then updated MC ant it works fine. I dont know whats going on. Then I tryed to remove Kaspersky from my main Pc completely (MC works fine when no kaspersky), then installed KIS again, updated it and MC stopped working. And now very often get that server busy warning and of cause that slowdown i had before. So, reinstallation of KIS doesnt help. Any ideas?
P.s. to get answers from kaspersky support takes ages if you a private customer, but if you could report about it as business customer they would react and fix it much quicker, its easier for you to comunicate with them as you are a platform developer and know all thing about your software and all those hidden pc background processes. I cant tell them very much whats going on.
Btw, all other software works just fine except MC, all tested.

Thanks

DRCM

Suddenly, this problem gone. Left my office for an hour or so, came back, checked and everything works fine. At least for now. :) Checked Kaspersky when was the last update, it was 45mins ago.
Have they fixed it with the last update, anyone reported this issue to Kaspersky?
Btw, I checked the history of all scaned filed by KIS today and looks like the only file they monitored was QuickHelp.exe ;)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 08 Feb 2013

It vanished after update on my PC as well, but that was a couple of days ago.

Return to “MultiCharts”