BackTesting Problem  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jdgw

BackTesting Problem

Postby jdgw » 02 Mar 2013

Backtesting signal no longer writes to excel. This problem started with 8.5 RC but I thought it was because I missed setting the steps correctly because you changed that format. Now it doesn't write at all. I wish you would not have changed it - it was fine the way it was. Any suggestions?

jdgw

DLL's not being called in version 6777

Watching Process Explorer I can see that there are no dll's actively being called during the optimization process. Likely the reason for no writes to excel.

TJ

Re: BackTesting Problem

Postby TJ » 02 Mar 2013

Backtesting signal no longer writes to excel. This problem started with 8.5 RC but I thought it was because I missed setting the steps correctly because you changed that format. Now it doesn't write at all. I wish you would not have changed it - it was fine the way it was. Any suggestions?
suggestion: go back to the version that works.
unless you need the new features in the new version, my policy is: don't fix anything that ain't broke.

jdgw

It is broke. Where can I download 8.0?

furytrader

Postby furytrader » 04 Mar 2013

In the past, there were a few problems with how MC writes to Excel:

1) It saves the Excel file with an ".xlsx" extension but that's not the correct format. It's really ".xls"

2) If you don't have the application "excel.exe" on your computer (which can happen with newer versions of MS Office), it won't work - even if you have Excel on your computer. I actually had to buy an old copy off of Ebay (Office 2003) to get it to work, even though I have office 2010 on my computer as well.

This may have been fixed in later versions.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 04 Mar 2013

Please provide us with the script sample and the .dll file to let us study the issue.

Xyzzy

Postby Xyzzy » 25 Mar 2013

I'm confused by the statement:
It saves the Excel file with an ".xlsx" extension but that's not the correct format. It's really ".xls"
The ".xls" format is an older format. The correct format for Office 2007 and higher is ".xlsx." If the performance reports are saved in ".xls" format, then they give a warning message before they're opened in modern versions of Excel. See the attached screenshot for an example (taken from Excel 2013).

MultiCharts used to save these in ".xls" format. I submitted a bug report about this some time ago, and the format was changed to ".xlsx." See this link:

http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-619

Unfortunately, it seems that MultiCharts has reverted this back to ".xls" in the latest release of MultiCharts 8.5. I hope this can be fixed again, and changed back to ".xlsx."
Attachments
ScreenHunter_05 Mar. 25 18.07.gif
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 25 Mar 2013

Maybe the expert staff at MC could give us the option of exporting to .xls OR .xlsx then there would be no issues with future versions...

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 27 Mar 2013

http://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissue ... _no=MC-619

Unfortunately, it seems that MultiCharts has reverted this back to ".xls" in the latest release of MultiCharts 8.5. I hope this can be fixed again, and changed back to ".xlsx."
Checking this.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Mar 2013

You need to use MS office version that supports Visual Basic for applications in order to export the performance report. Report will be exported either in xls or xlsx format depending on the version of MS Office package that was installed last. If you want to change that - repair the office package you want to utilize for export of the report.
Maybe the expert staff at MC could give us the option of exporting to .xls OR .xlsx then there would be no issues with future versions...
Please submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

Xyzzy

Postby Xyzzy » 27 Mar 2013

You need to use MS office version that supports Visual Basic for applications in order to export the performance report. Report will be exported either in xls or xlsx format depending on the version of MS Office package that was installed last.
I don't think this is entirely correct. I have MultiCharts 8.5 installed with Office 2013. It is exporting performance reports as ".xls" files, not ".xlsx" files.

Could this be a conflict with Office 2013? I.e., that MultiCharts exports in ".xlsx" format for Office 2007 and Office 2010, but reverts back to ".xls" for Office 2013?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Mar 2013

Could this be a conflict with Office 2013? I.e., that MultiCharts exports in ".xlsx" format for Office 2007 and Office 2010, but reverts back to ".xls" for Office 2013?
We are checking it.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: BackTesting Problem  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 28 Mar 2013

There is indeed an issue with Office 2013. It will be fixed in the next version of MultiCharts.

Xyzzy

Postby Xyzzy » 28 Mar 2013

Excellent. Thanks!

Return to “MultiCharts”