Multiple Data Series in a signal.  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
whammer

Multiple Data Series in a signal.

Postby whammer » 03 Mar 2013

I must be missing something obvious but here goes. What is the value of multiple data series in a signal when the the additional data series are over ridden by data1 ??

If data1 is 5 min, and data2 is a 1 minute there seems to be no way to extract, lets say, a 5 bar average from data2 that actually is a five bar average of data2 to use in the signal because it

Average(close data1)= Average(close data2)

Even in an indicator it will default to data1 unless you manually format it and force it to be based on data2. However, in a signal I am not aware of any method to force data2 to actually be based on data2. If anyone knows how to do that, or pls explain how I am looking at it incorrectly. Thanks.

TJ

Re: Multiple Data Series in a signal.

Postby TJ » 03 Mar 2013

I must be missing something obvious but here goes. What is the value of multiple data series in a signal when the the additional data series are over ridden by data1 ??

If data1 is 5 min, and data2 is a 1 minute there seems to be no way to extract, lets say, a 5 bar average from data2 that actually is a five bar average of data2 to use in the signal because it

Even in an indicator it will default to data1 unless you manually format it and force it to be based on data2. However, in a signal I am not aware of any method to force data2 to actually be based on data2. If anyone knows how to do that, or pls explain how I am looking at it incorrectly. Thanks.
You must set the fastest data series as data1.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Mar 2013

See post #4
[FAQ] Multiple time frame, Multi-Data Analysis
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6929

whammer

Postby whammer » 03 Mar 2013

Thank you TJ. Not the answer I was hoping for however. I did want to use some shorter data series as inputs into a longer data series (data1), but you are saying that is not possible as I understand your answer.

Is there anything that could be done in the code that could force what i am trying to do? or through global variable?

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Mar 2013

Thank you TJ. Not the answer I was hoping for however. I did want to use some shorter data series as inputs into a longer data series (data1), but you are saying that is not possible as I understand your answer.

Is there anything that could be done in the code that could force what i am trying to do? or through global variable?
I do not understand what you want to achieve.

whammer

Postby whammer » 04 Mar 2013

OK here's an example. I want to use 3 averages as follows:
data2 = 1 min
data3 = 2 min
data4 = 3 min

value1 = average(data2,5) + average(data3,10) + average(data4,15);

How do I apply that to a signal on 4 min chart? Let's say I want certain benefits from using a longer time series but still have the speed of the faster time series. With an indicator I can manually force each average to behave, but in a signal there seems to be no way to accomplish this although I hope I am wrong.

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Mar 2013

OK here's an example. I want to use 3 averages as follows:
data2 = 1 min
data3 = 2 min
data4 = 3 min

value1 = average(data2,5) + average(data3,10) + average(data4,15);

How do I apply that to a signal on 4 min chart? Let's say I want certain benefits from using a longer time series but still have the speed of the faster time series. With an indicator I can manually force each average to behave, but in a signal there seems to be no way to accomplish this although I hope I am wrong.
Look up:
barstatus

you can set the 4 min chart as data5,

eg.

Code: Select all

if barstatus(5) = 2 then
begin
if buycondition = true then buy...
end;
The buy order will always apply to data1.

whammer

Re: Multiple Data Series in a signal.  [SOLVED]

Postby whammer » 04 Mar 2013

Very interesting TJ. Thank you!

TJ

Postby TJ » 04 Mar 2013

Very interesting TJ. Thank you!
You are welcome!

Return to “MultiCharts”