Moving databases  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
SirHC

Moving databases

Postby SirHC » 27 Mar 2013

Hi,

First, I found in this forum that we could copy databases directory and modify Registry to change location of databases.

This is working fine but when I try to use a copy of my database located on a local network drive.

I get this message :
"Firebird database : Unable to complete request to host "SERVER".
Failed to establish a connection."

Do I need something else to connect to a distant database?

More generaly, I try to share the same TSSTORAGE.GDB and TSCACHE.GDB from 2 locations in my local network.
As I see keys "Read" and "Write" in registry, I'm thinking this is something possible ?

Thanks for your answer

Regards.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Moving databases  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 27 Mar 2013

Hello SirHC,

Unfortunately at the moment that is not possible to access a distant database on a local network drive. We will analyze if such functionality can be added in one of the future versions of MultiCharts.
More generaly, I try to share the same TSSTORAGE.GDB and TSCACHE.GDB from 2 locations in my local network.
That is not possible to access one database from two locations at the same time.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Moving databases

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 23 Apr 2013

Hello SirHC,

Unfortunately at the moment that is not possible to access a distant database on a local network drive. We will analyze if such functionality can be added in one of the future versions of MultiCharts.
That is not possible to access one database from two locations at the same time.
Unfortunately at the moment that is not technically possible to implement a distant database access.

HPF

Postby HPF » 25 Apr 2013

Can I ask a related question?

I have two installations of MultiCharts on different machines each of which has its own QuoteManager.

When I add new symbols to one QuoteManager, for example add new futures contracts, what is the best way of synchronizing the other installation with it?

I can export the list of all symbols and then import it on the other machine. In this case, however, the other quote manager needs to reload all price data. Are you saying that I can instead copy the two database files TSSTORAGE.GDB and TSCACHE.GDB to the other machine and accomplish the same including the transfer of all cached tick data?

Do I need to transfer anything other than these two files in order to ensure consistency?

Thanks,

HPF

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 25 Apr 2013

I can export the list of all symbols and then import it on the other machine. In this case, however, the other quote manager needs to reload all price data.
Hello HPF,
You can export the instruments with data and then import them into the QuoteManager of PC2.
Are you saying that I can instead copy the two database files TSSTORAGE.GDB and TSCACHE.GDB to the other machine and accomplish the same including the transfer of all cached tick data?
If you have the same version and builds of MultiCharts on both PCs then you can copy/paste the database files: how to do that.

Return to “MultiCharts”