Significant Price Differences Between IQ Feed / IB Data  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dwitkin

Significant Price Differences Between IQ Feed / IB Data

Postby dwitkin » 20 Apr 2013

I'm exploring MultiCharts as an alternative to the other trading platform and have just started using the application. I signed up for IQ Feed and am using it for my charting and IB for execution.

I noticed after setting up a symbol to get data from IQ and process trades through IB - AAPL for example - once I placed a trade using ChartTrader, there were significant differences (e.g., $0.75 - $1.00) between prices shown on the chart from IQ data versus the position's profitability and the bid / ask shown in the ChartTrader window, which I am guessing is driven by data from IB.

I can capture and upload images during the next live trading session, but have other users experienced this? Would this suggest I have something setup incorrectly?

I'd appreciate suggestions for how to troubleshoot / fix.

sptrader

Re: Significant Price Differences Between IQ Feed / IB Data

Postby sptrader » 20 Apr 2013

Data from IQfeed is Real-time unfiltered,.. Data from IB is "Sampled" and therefore NOT full real-time data.. IQfeed will plot many more ticks than IB..

dwitkin

Postby dwitkin » 20 Apr 2013

Thanks. I understand that, but I wouldn't expect the size of the differences I experienced because of the extra ticks. The price differences seem way too large to be a result of the extra ticks.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 20 Apr 2013

On a fast moving stock like AAPL, there can be a significant difference, something that trades less volume would have very little difference..

dwitkin

Postby dwitkin » 21 Apr 2013

Thanks for the quick responses.

If SPTrader's answer is accurate, I don't see how using MultiCharts with an IQ data feed with IB as my execution broker is a viable option for chart trading. In the example of the Apple trade I mentioned above, according to the MultiCharts ChartTrader I was already down a large number of ticks immediately on position entry, which was very confusing.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences about using Multicharts with an IQ data feed. Does everyone experience the profit/loss shown in ChartTrader as confusing?

I'll post some screen shots on Monday because I have a hard time believing what I'm experiencing is normal behavior.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 21 Apr 2013

One other thing to check- are you sure that you are receiving RT quotes from IQfeed ???
I'm not sure if the trial period includes RT stocks..
Are you sure that your IB is delivering RT stock quotes ? I think some are RT by subscription else are delayed...
My IB and Iqfeed are usually close, if I recall..
I usually trade futures not stocks but I'll watch AAPL tomorrow and compare them..

dwitkin

Thanks for the thought. I've emailed IQ Feed tech support to make sure my trial period includes real-time stock quotes. If they are delayed, that could explain the issue.

dwitkin

Re: Significant Price Differences Between IQ Feed / IB Data  [SOLVED]

SPTrader,

You were correct about the IQ Feed Data! It appears you must specifically identify the exchanges you want real-time quotes for during the 30 day trial. Otherwise, all quotes are delayed 15 minutes. I've signed up for the NASDAQ and NYSE and I'll bet that addresses the issue.

Thank you for your help.

One other thing to check- are you sure that you are receiving RT quotes from IQfeed ???
I'm not sure if the trial period includes RT stocks..
Are you sure that your IB is delivering RT stock quotes ? I think some are RT by subscription else are delayed...
My IB and Iqfeed are usually close, if I recall..
I usually trade futures not stocks but I'll watch AAPL tomorrow and compare them..

Return to “MultiCharts”