Scale MC to not include studies  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
fs

Scale MC to not include studies

Postby fs » 31 Jul 2006

I have posted the message yesterday and it seems that someone deleted it today. Maybe one of the moderators got a little trigger happy.

On TS there is a setting to include, or exclude the range of the studies on the chart. This is useful to exclude it sometimes when the study is far away from current price action and does not provide useful information at the current time which result in the price chart to only occupy a small portion of the chart.

For example, price action is between 100 and 110 and one of a study like pivots and R2 is around 120. This means the range of the chart is from aroun 99 to 121 and the actual price chart will only occupy about half of the screen. In TS when you exclude studies range, the range on the screen will be around 99 to 111 and price action will occupy most of the screen.

Can this be done in MC and if not, are there plans to add a future like this?

- Fanus

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 31 Jul 2006

If I understand you right, I guess this can be achieved by just visually modifying the price scaling in the indicator subchart, with the compress/expand buttons. Just select the indicator by clicking it and then you'll be able to modify its scaling, making it fill as much of the screen as you want.

If this does not help, you can use two different scales (accessed through Format Window - Y-Scale); in the screenshot attached I applied a study to the chart, with the left Y-scale showing the study values and the right - the price.
Attachments
2scales.png
(25.7 KiB) Downloaded 1844 times
Last edited by Alex Kramer on 31 Jul 2006, edited 1 time in total.

fs

Postby fs » 31 Jul 2006

Hi Alex

I mean when studies are overlayed on the price chart and not on different subcharts. Like a moving average, or Pivot points and the study's range is much bigger than the price range. Then the price will be in a small portion of the chart because the range of the study is displayed as well.

- Fanus

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 31 Jul 2006

In this case you can use Screen Scale Type as Alex showed above. Please let us know if this works for you.

fs

Postby fs » 31 Jul 2006

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, but that doesn't really work because for an indicator like pivots, you want to keep it on the same price scale as the symbol, otherwise they lose their usefulness.

But when the pivot is so far above/below the current price, there is no need to include this on the screen and if you do, it will compress the price action in the bottom, or top of the screen. This is where TS give you the option to just show price action on the screen without including the whole scale to include the Pivot as well.

- Fanus

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 31 Jul 2006

How can you do it in TS? Could you please describe this in details?

fs

[SOLVED]

Postby fs » 31 Jul 2006

You Right Click on the chart. Then
-> Format Symbol
-> Scaling
-> Select/Deselect "Expand Range to include Analysis Techniques".

Regards
- Fanus

iso

Postby iso » 31 Jul 2006

I agree, I use this in TS all the time. This would be very useful.

Chris

Postby Chris » 01 Aug 2006

Meanwhile you can use TrendLines for the Pivots, this should not change your scaling.

Chris

Stanley Miller

Postby Stanley Miller » 01 Aug 2006

We'll most probably add this option in the future version, would you please also add this request to the following thread:

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=938

iso

Postby iso » 10 Aug 2006

This is a huge issue with MC. By forcing the entire indicator to be displayed in the current view leaves the chart useless. I have posted a chart to show the problem. I have also posted a chart to show what the chart looks like without the indicator on it so you can see the difference.
Attachments
indicator_scaling_issue.png
(44.21 KiB) Downloaded 1848 times
correct_scale.png
(55.7 KiB) Downloaded 1841 times

fs

Postby fs » 10 Aug 2006

iso

Thanks for posting this. I do not use TS, so I couldn't post screen shots of the differences. I saw the option in Tradestion in a trading class I took on someone else's PC.

I also think this is a fairly big issue. For me anyway.

- Fanus

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 11 Aug 2006

ok, now it is clear - an option to have a fullscreen chart without changin the indicator's scaling is necessary. Currently we don't have this.

SP

Postby SP » 06 Sep 2006

The user AKTrader posted a useful ELD that scales indicators and text.

[url]https://www.TS.com/Discussion ... c_ID=55630[/url]

fs

Postby fs » 06 Sep 2006

The user AKTrader posted a useful ELD that scales indicators and text.

https://www.TS.com/Discussion ... c_ID=55630
The ELD only make sure that when you have text or a showme study, that they are not cut off in the top, or bottom of the screen. This is something completely different than what the original request was about.

Regards
- Fanus

iso

Postby iso » 12 Jun 2007

Any news on the scaling issue? Attached is a chart I was trying to build today but the scaling of the indicator flattened out price so much. (See attached snapshot)

Regards,

~iso
Attachments
Scalling issue.png
(23.92 KiB) Downloaded 1826 times
Correct scalling.png
(29.6 KiB) Downloaded 1820 times

Postby Guest » 13 Jun 2007

it seems like no one moderator is a trader....

Kate

Postby Kate » 14 Jun 2007

Any news on the scaling issue? Attached is a chart I was trying to build today but the scaling of the indicator flattened out price so much. (See attached snapshot)
Most likely, it will be implemented later this year.

Return to “MultiCharts”