Any limitations on MC Database size

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
hilbert

Any limitations on MC Database size

Postby hilbert » 16 May 2013

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any theoretical or practical limit to the database size in MC? Let us say if database size goes beyond 8 GB, does that affect the performance of MC either during analysis or live autotrading? E.G. I have experienced it firsthand that opening many charts simultaneously does make MC slow to respond. So, lots of charts and many workspaces do reduce operational effectiveness. Is it similar for large databases?

There is a wiki article that talks about reducing size of MC databases.
https://www.multicharts.com/trading-sof ... abase_Size

If there is no such limit and the performance degradation does not happen, with computers today coming with 100s of gigs of hard disk space, what is the reason behind this wiki article?

Other users if you have felt any such limits, please share your experience. Thanks.

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Any limitations on MC Database size

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 17 May 2013

Hello Hilbert,

You are not limited in database size, except for your hard drive of course. Using the tool to decrease the database size is recommended when you have deleted a lot of data/symbols from QuoteManager, since the database files are not decreased in size on their own in this case.
If we talk about performance, the best thing you can do in this case is to have Windows OS, installed MC and MC database files on the same SSD drive.

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 17 May 2013

Hello Hilbert,

You are not limited in database size, except for your hard drive of course. Using the tool to decrease the database size is recommended when you have deleted a lot of data/symbols from QuoteManager, since the database files are not decreased in size on their own in this case.
If we talk about performance, the best thing you can do in this case is to have Windows OS, installed MC and MC database files on the same SSD drive.
Hey Andrew good to know that large database size won't have any affect on MC performance.

My current DB size is very small close to 1 GB. However, I am going to start collecting a lot of historical data and can foresee my DB size increasing @ 1-2 GB per month. So, within 6 months, I am looking at a size of 12-15 GB.

I was concerned whether the best way is to store all the data in one place within MC database, or probably take out some data and store it elsewhere in my custom database.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

Andrew MultiCharts

Are you going to use all the collected data on everyday basis?
Are you going to increase number of symbols, or only amount of collected data for the same number of symbols?

hilbert

Postby hilbert » 17 May 2013

Are you going to use all the collected data on everyday basis?
Are you going to increase number of symbols, or only amount of collected data for the same number of symbols?
1) I am going to use maybe 10% of collected data every week for research.
2) Yes, I am going to increase number of symbols. Currently, I store data for around 50 symbols. I am going to increase it to at least a thousand. I am going to start storing international as well as US data. Thats why so many symbols.

Andrew MultiCharts

1) I am going to use maybe 10% of collected data every week for research.
2) Yes, I am going to increase number of symbols. Currently, I store data for around 50 symbols. I am going to increase it to at least a thousand. I am going to start storing international as well as US data. Thats why so many symbols.
Should be ok. Especially if you indeed use SSD as i recommended.

Return to “MultiCharts”