Auto trading - synchronous or asynchronous mode  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
moses

Auto trading - synchronous or asynchronous mode

Postby moses » 19 May 2013

Hi,

I am trying to arrange the following auto-trading setup, and I need any advice offered on whether I should be using synchronous or asynchronous mode in auto trading.

a. 4 strategies, all of them trading only the EUR/USD pair.

b. the first strategy is long on a 1-hr chart, the second strategy is short on another 1-hr chart and the third and fourth strategies are long and short respectively, on 10-minute charts.

c. Broker is Interactive Brokers, data feed is TS

d. The PC running the strategies is intended to be up and running 24/7, maybe with a reboot on the weekend just to 'clean' it up.

Apart from any general advice you can offer, I also have a specific question regarding synchronous mode.
Let's say every Friday night I will turn my PC off, and switch it on again Sunday afternoon for next week's auto trading. What I have to do on Sunday (to keep the synchronization) is to assign to each chart the initial market position at the broker (by enabling the relevant settings in each signal's properties).
It seems to me, however, that if, say, there is an open long position on chart 1, there is no way for Multicharts to know how to use the exit rules of my strategy to exit that position in due course. If this is the case, do I need to use a manual order to exit that position when the time comes? And is this the real value of asynchronous mode ('cause I can't see any other point for it..)?

Thanks a lot
moses

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Auto trading - synchronous or asynchronous mode

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 20 May 2013

Hello moses,

I will be glad to help you.
a. 4 strategies, all of them trading only the EUR/USD pair.

b. the first strategy is long on a 1-hr chart, the second strategy is short on another 1-hr chart and the third and fourth strategies are long and short respectively, on 10-minute charts.

c. Broker is Interactive Brokers, data feed is TS

d. The PC running the strategies is intended to be up and running 24/7, maybe with a reboot on the weekend just to 'clean' it up.
Please tell me if your goal is to have those 4 separate charts auto trading independently from each other.
Let's say every Friday night I will turn my PC off, and switch it on again Sunday afternoon for next week's auto trading. What I have to do on Sunday (to keep the synchronization) is to assign to each chart the initial market position at the broker (by enabling the relevant settings in each signal's properties).
Correct.
It seems to me, however, that if, say, there is an open long position on chart 1, there is no way for Multicharts to know how to use the exit rules of my strategy to exit that position in due course.
moses
Not correct. If according to your strategy's logic, it should send exit orders when you have open market position, then after you assign initial market position as open position with entry price, number of contracts and maximum reached profit, the exit orders should be sent. But since you auto trade from multiple charts on the same symbol and on the same broker account (i assume) it may depend on what conditions for exit orders activation you have.

moses

Postby moses » 20 May 2013

Hi Andrew, thank you for assisting me.

Yes, my goal is to have those 4 separate charts auto trading independently from each other.

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Auto trading - synchronous or asynchronous mode  [SOLVED]

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 21 May 2013

Yes, my goal is to have those 4 separate charts auto trading independently from each other.
First, let me ask if you have read the article in our MC wiki describing how MC works with such setup. This should explain everything. For your case the Synchronizers should not be used.
Things you should take into account:

moses

Postby moses » 21 May 2013

Thank you Andrew.

I have the read the article in the wiki, many times!

I will go through your suggestions, and hopefully I won't have to return for more!

Thanks again
moses

rc76

Postby rc76 » 14 Oct 2023

Hi,

I understand this is a very old post, but I have a very similar setting and is wondering anyone as well as MC team can give me some advice on how should I be using the SA/AS in auto-trading.

My Setup:
- Broker:
- Interactive Broker
- PC Setup:
- The PC running the strategies is intended to be up and running 23/7, restarting at weekend.
- IB TWS to restart at 4.30PM CT, when NQ is not trading for 1 hour.
- Instrument:
- All signals will be trading same instrument (NQ), same account (Same IB account)
- Chart:
- Multiple Charts, each chart have different signal. One signal per chart.
- Each Chart/Signal:
- Can enter both directions (long or short)
- Can use different order types for both entry and exit:
- market
- Limit
- Limit stop
- All of my signals are Day Trade (i.e. start position is flat, end position if flat.)

I have questions regarding the following:

(1) If I use SA mode for my day-trading signals, should I set "Assign to each chart the initial market position" to flat?

(2) Position synchronizer - For my setup above, do I need to use the two Position synchronizer strategies?

(3) Since each chart/strategy will enter its own entry/position at specific price and order type. In order to exit the position that is generated from the chart/strategy, should I use the following keywords:

(3a)
- MarketPosition_at_broker_for_The_Strategy ?
Or
- MarketPosition * CurrentContract ?
-> so that I am referencing to the market position generated from this particular chart/strategy?

(3b)
- "exit from entry"
-> so that I am exiting the position/trade generated from this particular chart/strategy?

(4) If in future I have a overnight trade signal, should I use SA or AA for it? And what are the other consideration I need to change

Thanks

Return to “MultiCharts”