EL generation software

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
segut

EL generation software

Postby segut » 26 May 2013

Any suggestions about this program that generates EL code automatically for price patterns?

furytrader

Re: EL generation software

Postby furytrader » 28 May 2013

I used a predecessor version of the software. The developer, Michael Harris, is a solid researcher and trader, and was always very helpful and responsive when I would pose questions to him.

The one challenge with this software is that, as I recollect, it represents a type of data mining and so whether the patterns hold up in real-time is always a critical issue. Also, as I recall, the software is quite expensive. You should read some of Harris' books to get a sense of his approach to the markets. If you're interested in finding patterns in markets, his books are a good introduction to one approach.

---

One piece of software that I use now, which is different from Harris' software but which also generates EL code, is called Adaptrade Builder. You can learn more about this at www.adaptrade.com (I am not paid to promote Builder, I just use it).

segut

Postby segut » 28 May 2013

Thanks you for your input! I did not know about the books but I found about the blog Michael Harris maintains and it is very helpful in explaining the nuisances of trading system development. As far as the other program you mentioned I have tried that not long ago and also a couple more based on the same genetic programming principles that I think they also fall under data-mining so they all have the same issues of future (under) performance. Data-mining is involved when we " test multiple parameter values, rules and combinations to try and identify the best performing ones". This is a good blog that deals with these concepts and its author is a very knowledgeable trader http://www.automated-trading-system.com ... DataMining

I gave up on the program you mentioned because it often generated some weird systems and even some attempted to match buy and hold by entering a long trade at every bar. I also think for what it did it was very expensive given that it consists of a basic genetic programming engine that shuffles indicators and exit signals until some satisfactory result is reached.

By the way Michael Harris made a blog recently where he discusses data-mining http://www.priceactionlab.com/Blog/2013 ... velopment/

One thing that interests me is user experience with the EL code Price Action Lab generates and whether it works well in MC.

segut

Postby segut » 02 Jun 2013

I am developing now systems to evaluate using both Price Action Lab and Adaptrade. These are very different products but both generate EL code. I find the idea very useful and can cut down development time by some considerable factor.

Return to “MultiCharts”