MULTICHARTS 8.7 BETA 2

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
admin

MULTICHARTS 8.7 BETA 2

Postby admin » 30 May 2013

MultiCharts 8.7 Beta 2 has minor updates and fixes for features that were introduced in Beta 1. Main improvements are performed for managing milliseconds and microseconds. We also filled a number of user requests from PM, made the UI more convenient and added new keywords and HotKeys.

Make sure you ask our support if you have any questions.

Learn more about Beta 2...

KhaosTrader

command line for startup to dynamically load appropriate wor

Postby KhaosTrader » 01 Jun 2013

One thing that would be very good is to have command line dos parameters, such that you can dynamically load which workspaces you want at startup.

The reason why is because I have 5 monitors, and each has its own instance of multicharts in it, if i had this command line interface, i could have 5 seperate startup shortcuts that each would load the 4 or 5 charts respectively.

Every night I restart the computer, and in the morning i have to start up 5 seperate instances and then open up each of the correct 4 or 5 workspaces per instance... it would be nicer to have a command line startup ability where each shortcut would load several specific workspaces..

such an idea would look like this (here are 2 shortcuts that would load 3 different workspaces each):

Shortcut 1:
Multicharts64.exe /W <c:/ws1/wsYMLongTimeFr,c:/ws1/wsYMIntradayTimeFr, c:/ws1/wsMarketOverview >

Shortcut 2:
Multicharts64.exe /W <c:/ws2/wsCLLongTimeFr,c:/ws2/wsCLIntradayTimeFr, c:/ws2/wsEnergyMktOverview >

sptrader

Re: MULTICHARTS 8.7 BETA 2

Postby sptrader » 01 Jun 2013

It would be nice to have the Option of several different custom workspace options at startup..
On weekdays I load about 10 workspaces for discretionary trading on multiple markets and on weekeends I only need to load one for system testing.. at startup it would be nice to be able to choose weekday or weekend (or some other custom choices of workspaces)..

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 02 Jun 2013

Yes having the abiltiy to select a choice of unique "Groups" of workspaces is the idea. Using the command line is the best way I can think of doing it (because of the flexibility), With this feature I literally could click one key to launch a cmd file to launch multiple instances of Multicharts each with their set of workspaces.

This is the type of thing that power-users with many monitors would find helpful.

MC.net has a free version which allows 2 instruments to be traded at once, the more "power user" features that are enabled, would help entice an upgrade to the full version, which would be a revenue event for multicharts, so I hope multicharts can see this feature would be a win/win situation.

swz168

Re: command line for startup to dynamically load appropriate

Postby swz168 » 02 Jun 2013

One thing that would be very good is to have command line dos parameters, such that you can dynamically load which workspaces you want at startup.

The reason why is because I have 5 monitors, and each has its own instance of multicharts in it, if i had this command line interface, i could have 5 seperate startup shortcuts that each would load the 4 or 5 charts respectively.
This workaround works for me fine:
1. Create an Shortcut on the Desktop to the folder where you have saved your workspaces.
2. Double click on the workspace you want to use. MC loads a new instance for that workspace. This way you can start all other workspaces in new instances.

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 02 Jun 2013

Swz, That method will only allow 1 workspace per instance. I need 3 or 4 workspaces per instance.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 03 Jun 2013

Swz, That method will only allow 1 workspace per instance. I need 3 or 4 workspaces per instance.
Ic, in that case your feature request is indeed useful/necessary.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: command line for startup to dynamically load appropriate

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Jun 2013

Dear users,

Thank you for your suggestions. We are going to add this functionality in the next version of MultiCharts.

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 03 Jun 2013

Thanks Henry, Very happy to hear that, I am a happy user of multicharts, and really am happy you guys work so hard to keep improving an already great product.

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 03 Jun 2013

Henry,

One small addition, if its not too much trouble in command line dos params.. can you put in the x,y value of the top left corner for the window? then I can have it automatically populate the instance on the correct monitor, its just something I realized just now.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Jun 2013

Henry,

One small addition, if its not too much trouble in command line dos params.. can you put in the x,y value of the top left corner for the window? then I can have it automatically populate the instance on the correct monitor, its just something I realized just now.
We will look into adding this functionality.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 07 Jun 2013

I updated recently to Beta 2. The last two days I discovered in the task manager a LMAX process. I don't have any Software installed from Lmax Broker. And I also deactivated in QM the datasource LMAX. Still, I can see that process when using Multicharts.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 07 Jun 2013

I updated recently to Beta 2. The last two days I discovered in the task manager a LMAX process. I don't have any Software installed from Lmax Broker. And I also deactivated in QM the datasource LMAX. Still, I can see that process when using Multicharts.
Hello swz168,

Do you open QuoteManager->Tools->Data sources window each day?
If you do not open this window-do you still have Lmax process running?

swz168

Postby swz168 » 07 Jun 2013

First time I saw it was when MC was in offline mode. Can't exactly remember whether I started QM before or after I saw that LMAX process. I will check next week again.

arnie

Postby arnie » 10 Jun 2013

When we close MC there's a window that indicates data being saved into QM.
Is it possible to have also a window indicating that all MC services have been closed?

Usually when I close MC at the end of the day is also when I turn OFF the computer and I tend to open Windows Task Manager to see if all MC services have been closed so I can Shut Down Windows safely without messing MC's data.

So I'd like to have some indication that all MC services were shut down on the screen, similar to what happens when it's saving the data.
It would facilitate our job when shutting down Windows instead of having to open the Task Manager.

Thanks,
Fernando

swz168

Postby swz168 » 10 Jun 2013

First time I saw it was when MC was in offline mode. Can't exactly remember whether I started QM before or after I saw that LMAX process. I will check next week again.
If I open Data sources in QM, LMAXServerHost is started. If I close Multicharts, and then QM, all processes of Multicharts are closed automatically, except LMAXServerHost.exe and QuoteManager.exe. (I've waited many minutes.) This happens both in online and offline mode.

I'm using MC8.7 Beta2 64Bit on Win7 64Bit. LMAX Data source is disabled in QM.

As mentioned above, I have nothing from LMAX installed. Maybe I'm going to test them as a broker in the future.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jun 2013

If I open Data sources in QM, LMAXServerHost is started. If I close Multicharts, and then QM, all processes of Multicharts are closed automatically, except LMAXServerHost.exe and QuoteManager.exe. (I've waited many minutes.) This happens both in online and offline mode.
As mentioned above, I have nothing from LMAX installed. Maybe I'm going to test them as a broker in the future.
Please download this zip file and unzip it into a folder on your PC:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Dumper.zip

Replicate this behavior with processes not finishing and start MCDumperGui.exe from the unzipped folder. Select your version of MultiCharts in Product for Dumps selector. Press “Make Dumps” button. This utility will create dumps and logs, pack them into a zip file and open the folder containing the file once the procedure is done.

If the file is >10mb size please upload it to any file sharing hosting and send me (support@multicharts.com) the download link, otherwise send it via email directly to me and our developers will analyze it.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 10 Jun 2013

When we close MC there's a window that indicates data being saved into QM.
Is it possible to have also a window indicating that all MC services have been closed?

Usually when I close MC at the end of the day is also when I turn OFF the computer and I tend to open Windows Task Manager to see if all MC services have been closed so I can Shut Down Windows safely without messing MC's data.

So I'd like to have some indication that all MC services were shut down on the screen, similar to what happens when it's saving the data.
It would facilitate our job when shutting down Windows instead of having to open the Task Manager.

Thanks,
Fernando
Fernando, thank you for your suggestion. It has been forwarded to our developers.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 10 Jun 2013

Please download this zip file and unzip it into a folder on your PC:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Dumper.zip

Replicate this behavior with processes not finishing and start MCDumperGui.exe from the unzipped folder. Select your version of MultiCharts in Product for Dumps selector. Press “Make Dumps” button. This utility will create dumps and logs, pack them into a zip file and open the folder containing the file once the procedure is done.

If the file is >10mb size please upload it to any file sharing hosting and send me (support@multicharts.com) the download link, otherwise send it via email directly to me and our developers will analyze it.
Is there a simple way to switch on logging? I've deactivated it long time again, when I was using some older Version of MC. This was the only manual change in the registry.

By the way, I have killed all processes. and I can reproduce the above problem just by starting QM and the Datasource window.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Jun 2013

Is there a simple way to switch on logging? I've deactivated it long time again, when I was using some older Version of MC. This was the only manual change in the registry.
Please run AllTracesON from the zip file corresponding to your version of MultiCharts:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Traces.zip - for 32 bit version of MultiCharts
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... aces64.zip - for 64 bit version of MultiCharts
You need to restart MultiCharts and all of its processes to apply the changes.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 11 Jun 2013

Please run AllTracesON from the zip file corresponding to your version of MultiCharts:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... Traces.zip - for 32 bit version of MultiCharts
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... aces64.zip - for 64 bit version of MultiCharts
You need to restart MultiCharts and all of its processes to apply the changes.
Thanks for the registry files. I have sent you the dumps via email.

swz168

To my problem above:
Just want to let know everyone what causes Quotemanager not shutting down correctly. It is the program: "Actual Multiple Monitors"

If someone knows a good multiple monitor taskbar program, which doesn't cause the shutting down problem, let me know. Meanwhile, I hope MC Team can do something on their side to fix the problem.

swz168

If someone knows a good multiple monitor taskbar program, which doesn't cause the shutting down problem, let me know. Meanwhile, I hope MC Team can do something on their side to fix the problem.
Have found one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmon ... source=dlp
Works on three monitors, with basic functions. Unfortunately no "send to monitor x", but still enough for me.

No shutting down problem anymore, nethertheless I hope MC Team does look deeper into the problem, because it could also be a MC bug or some kind of "inefficent shut down mechanism".

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 13 Jun 2013

Just want to let know everyone what causes Quotemanager not shutting down correctly. It is the program: "Actual Multiple Monitors"
We will look into this behavior and try to improve it.

arnie

Postby arnie » 13 Jun 2013

Will we be able to plot trendlines and move them to the volume delta bars back on 8.7 final version?

It's so frustrating not being able to move trendlines to the back of volume delta bars...
I'm forced to have side by side a volume delta and a regular bars chart so I can plot my trendlines studies otherwise the volume delta chart becomes useless since all trendlines are on top of the text.

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Jun 2013

Will we be able to plot trendlines and move them to the volume delta bars back on 8.7 final version?

It's so frustrating not being able to move trendlines to the back of volume delta bars...
I'm forced to have side by side a volume delta and a regular bars chart so I can plot my trendlines studies otherwise the volume delta chart becomes useless since all trendlines are on top of the text.
better be careful with any changes... for most users, trendlines are only useful if they are on the top. Otherwise you cannot see them.

arnie

Postby arnie » 13 Jun 2013

better be careful with any changes... for most users, trendlines are only useful if they are on the top. Otherwise you cannot see them.
Well, I don't know about you but I really can't see how useful is a trendline on top of a volume delta bar chart.

If a simple line I can right click and choose Send to Back we should be able to do the same thing with trendlines.
And by the way, it would be nice to have an option to send ALL trendlines on a study to Back because it would be a pain to send them one by one...

Or... when we right click the volume delta bars and choose Bring to Front it should bring them to front of every object on the chart.

Maybe technically speaking this bring challenging issues for the developer team but nevertheless it's something that limits the use of volume delta bar charts.

Attachments
lineonfoot.png
(112.88 KiB) Downloaded 5425 times

tcat

Postby tcat » 14 Jun 2013

Hi,

I only noticed that with this release, but I can not manage to get strategies/signals ending calculations when applied to a 30 points range bar. To illustrate the situation:
USDCHF - 30 points
MovAvg Cross LE
MovAvg Cross LX
MovAvg Cross SE
MovAvg Cross SX

The chart goes into "calculating" and that's it. The issue appears specific to the range bars, if I switch to minutes the signals appear almost immediately.

Thierry

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Jun 2013

We have added this functionality to our to-do list. There is no ETA for it at the moment.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Jun 2013

Hi,

I only noticed that with this release, but I can not manage to get strategies/signals ending calculations when applied to a 30 points range bar. To illustrate the situation:
USDCHF - 30 points
MovAvg Cross LE
MovAvg Cross LX
MovAvg Cross SE
MovAvg Cross SX

The chart goes into "calculating" and that's it. The issue appears specific to the range bars, if I switch to minutes the signals appear almost immediately.

Thierry
Hello Thierry,

What is the number of bars on the chart (hold down the left mouse button on the last bar of the chart)?
What is the MaxBarsBack value in MultiCharts->Format->Strategy properties->Properties->Maximum number of bars the study will reference?

The minimum MaxBarsBack is the largest MaxBarsBack required by all signals applied to the chart.
MaxBarsBack is the amount of bars that would be used for initial script calcualtion, to get the initial value of functions, variables. This amount of bars would be skipped, so you will see a first signal on maxbarsback+1 bar (for ex, may vary depending on the strategy).
Chart data range should be higher than MaxBarsBack value.
For example Average of 10 bars would require a setting of 10.
If your MaxBarsBack value is not enough the study would not be calculated and will show an error message.
If your MaxBarsBack is too high ( more than the amount of bars on your chart) then the study will be waiting for the required amount of bars. On the chart you can see "Strategy Calculating" message in such case.

ABC

Postby ABC » 14 Jun 2013

When I turn a study in a subchart off, the study is disabled, but the chart space stays "occupied". Is there a way around that, without removing the study from the chart completely?
Basically like it is in MC 8.5 release?

tcat

Postby tcat » 14 Jun 2013

Hi,

USDCHF - 30 points
MovAvg Cross LE
MovAvg Cross LX
MovAvg Cross SE
MovAvg Cross SX

Thierry
Hello Thierry,

What is the number of bars on the chart (hold down the left mouse button on the last bar of the chart)?
What is the MaxBarsBack value in MultiCharts->Format->Strategy properties->Properties->Maximum number of bars the study will reference?

The minimum MaxBarsBack is the largest MaxBarsBack required by all signals applied to the chart.
MaxBarsBack is the amount of bars that would be used for initial script calcualtion, to get the initial value of functions, variables. This amount of bars would be skipped, so you will see a first signal on maxbarsback+1 bar (for ex, may vary depending on the strategy).
Chart data range should be higher than MaxBarsBack value.
For example Average of 10 bars would require a setting of 10.
If your MaxBarsBack value is not enough the study would not be calculated and will show an error message.
If your MaxBarsBack is too high ( more than the amount of bars on your chart) then the study will be waiting for the required amount of bars. On the chart you can see "Strategy Calculating" message in such case.
Thank you Henry. I had the MaxBarsBack set to 2000 and 2078 bars on chart, so the setting was clearly exceeding the needs. Also, it was not clear for me whether using the "bar magnifier" at a tick level would have any kind of impact on this configuration.
In all cases, reducing this setting as you recommended solved my issue. Thanks for your prompt feedback.
Cheers,
Thierry

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 18 Jun 2013

When I turn a study in a subchart off, the study is disabled, but the chart space stays "occupied". Is there a way around that, without removing the study from the chart completely?
Hello ABC,

You can place the study to SubChart #1 alongside the instrument or to any other subchart so that when you turn one study Off the subchart is not blank.

ABC

Postby ABC » 18 Jun 2013

Hello ABC,

You can place the study to SubChart #1 alongside the instrument or to any other subchart so that when you turn one study Off the subchart is not blank.
But that means you end up switching studies around all the time between the subcharts. It's not a big deal on charts you work with, but when you develop something and test different versions, the way it was before was much more convenient. Although the ability of being able to switch studies off from the status line is a nice addition for sure.

arnie

Postby arnie » 18 Jun 2013

Hey Henry,

is there any time table for playback with volume profile/volume delta bars?

Regards,
Fernando

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 19 Jun 2013

Henry,

I thought of an elegant way to improve the idea of using a command line to open a set of particular charts.

Besides the idea of listing each chart file name in the command line, we could point to a folder in the command line such that it would open all the charts in that particular folder. Then you could have multiple shortcuts each pointing to a different folder. That way, to add a chart, one would only need to drop a new chart in the folder.

This is just another idea, of course the folder idea has the limitation in that you cant control the order of the charts, so it would have to be alphabetically ordered in that case.

Anyway, just thought I would share that idea.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Jun 2013

But that means you end up switching studies around all the time between the subcharts. It's not a big deal on charts you work with, but when you develop something and test different versions, the way it was before was much more convenient. Although the ability of being able to switch studies off from the status line is a nice addition for sure.
ABC, what different design decision can you suggest?

Henry MultiСharts

is there any time table for playback with volume profile/volume delta bars?
Fernando, there is no ETA for this feature yet.

Henry MultiСharts

I thought of an elegant way to improve the idea of using a command line to open a set of particular charts.

Besides the idea of listing each chart file name in the command line, we could point to a folder in the command line such that it would open all the charts in that particular folder. Then you could have multiple shortcuts each pointing to a different folder. That way, to add a chart, one would only need to drop a new chart in the folder.
KhaosTrader, thank you for your suggestion. We consider workspaces to solve this task better than individual charts. We are also going to implement "desktops" functionality in MultiCharts 9.0

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 20 Jun 2013

Henry,

Ok I that sounds good.

Thanks,

KhaosTrader

arnie

Postby arnie » 22 Jun 2013

I've been applying some equidistant channels and something looks off.

Is this an optic illusion or indeed the equidistant channels is not that equidistant?

See the video.
See how an uprising channel shows the far right channel (channel's end) a little more narrow than the start while on a downside channels the channel's end is more wider than the start.
After plot, the lines show the exact same thing, it seems the end of the channel is not equidistant with the start. Maybe it's just an optic illusion.

Also, hitting the Ctrl key while drawing the channel, assuming this makes a perfect horizontal channel, we get that "kaleidoscope" effect of the lines.

Does anyone getting the same effect?

http://www.screencast.com/t/QyeVRPbjg

Regards,
Fernando

KhaosTrader

Postby KhaosTrader » 22 Jun 2013

Hi,

One bug, or maybe its an issue rather than a bug, is that if you type in an instrument in the scanner window, and its not found, it will not raise an error, it will also add itself to the quotemanager, but its undefined. I rather the entries be confined to the existing entries in the quotemanager such that I am sure its set up properly...

seneca

Postby seneca » 23 Jun 2013

I've been applying some equidistant channels and something looks off.

Is this an optic illusion or indeed the equidistant channels is not that equidistant?

See the video.
See how an uprising channel shows the far right channel (channel's end) a little more narrow than the start while on a downside channels the channel's end is more wider than the start.
After plot, the lines show the exact same thing, it seems the end of the channel is not equidistant with the start. Maybe it's just an optic illusion.

Also, hitting the Ctrl key while drawing the channel, assuming this makes a perfect horizontal channel, we get that "kaleidoscope" effect of the lines.

Does anyone getting the same effect?

http://www.screencast.com/t/QyeVRPbjg

Regards,
Fernando
It seems you are using a logarithmic scale. Consequently, the lines of the equidistant channel are not parallel.

arnie

Postby arnie » 23 Jun 2013

It seems you are using a logarithmic scale. Consequently, the lines of the equidistant channel are not parallel.
Touché seneca.

Thanks.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 24 Jun 2013

Hi,

One bug, or maybe its an issue rather than a bug, is that if you type in an instrument in the scanner window, and its not found, it will not raise an error, it will also add itself to the quotemanager, but its undefined. I rather the entries be confined to the existing entries in the quotemanager such that I am sure its set up properly...
This behavior is by design. It can be utilized to add multiple instruments from a text/excel file in one go.

arnie

Postby arnie » 25 Jun 2013

Today I was away from the office so I took a couple of trades on my laptop.
Now, back at the office, I wanted to study today's trades but have no information of the trades on my desktop. Is there a way to import the trades from the laptop into the desktop?

Went to C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\TradingCenter\Storage\positions_history to see if there was some files there that I could copy/paste from today's trades but all files are showing today'data.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Jun 2013

arnie, if you have the same version and build number of MultiCharts on both PCs then you can replace all orders/positions history data by copying the corresponding folders from C:\ProgramData\TS Support\MultiCharts64\TradingCenter\Storage\ from PC1 to PC2. There is no way to do that only partially.
You can also export the orders into excel (File->Export to Excel) to analyze the orders in a spreadsheet.

admin

Postby admin » 30 Jun 2013

MultiCharts 8.7 Release is a major upgrade that has new robust functionality and features: support for microsecond/millisecond data, Time & Sales, Tick-by-Tick Global Playback, and new discretionary and auto-trading options that give you more freedom and flexibility. MultiCharts has the full arsenal to be a successful trader.

Make sure you ask our support if you have any questions.

Learn more...

Return to “MultiCharts”