Excessive memory consumption of MC64 with IB Gateway

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
seneca

Excessive memory consumption of MC64 with IB Gateway

Postby seneca » 12 Jun 2013

When I run MC64 with some charts of IB "tick" data and IB Gateway for some hours, I notice a massive memory consumption of MC64, please see the attachment (luckily, I have plenty of RAM on my end....). Further, IB Gateway will successively open several client tabs. With IB TWS, memory consumption is somewhat different (around 2 - 3 GB for MultiCharts64.exe and around 2 - 3 GB for tsServer.exe after some hours).
TWS / Gateway version is 932.4, Java version is 1.7.0_21, OS is Windows 7, MC version is 8.7 Beta 2 Build 7263.

Maybe someone from Multicharts support can comment if this is expected behaviour, of if there is something flawed.
Attachments
Task_Manager.jpg
Windows Task Manager
(107.26 KiB) Downloaded 571 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Excessive memory consumption of MC64 with IB Gateway

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Jun 2013

Hello seneca,

Did you run the same version of IB TWS/Gateway on any previous version of MultiCharts? What was this version? Was the memory usage the same?
Did you run any different version of IB TWS/Gateway on this version of MultiCharts? What was this version? Was the memory usage the same?
Is this behavior replicated each time you run MultiCharts with IB Gateway?
Please go to QuoteManager->Tools->DataSources->IB->Settings->disable the option “Utitlization of cache for real-time price data”
Restart all MultiCharts processes in order to make the option come into effect.
Start MultiCharts and IB Gateway. Is the memory usage lower now?

seneca

Postby seneca » 13 Jun 2013

Henry,

this behaviour is replicated every time I run Multicharts with IB Gateway. Unfortunately, deactivating “Utilization of cache for real-time price data” and restarting all processes as suggested does not help.

Behaviour with previous MC versions is the same.
I do not run TWS / Gateway versions newer than 932.4, since versions newer than 932.4 show a massive Java memory leak which leads to a complete freeze of TWS / Gateway after about one day of operation, details can be found here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthrea ... genumber=8

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 14 Jun 2013

Hello seneca,

We are going to have multiple improvements concerning memory usage of tsserver.exe in MultiCharts 8.7 Release (expected next week). You can wait for the new version, test it and report the results. If this behavior still persists please send me the following information:

Please install Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx
Start it and go to: View->Select columns->Process memory->check "Virtual Size".

Trace the following:
After complete restart of all MultiCharts processes - what is the initial amount of virtual memory utilized once all charts are backfilled?
How long do you run it to get 2-3 gb of memory utilized?
How long do you run it to get 12 gb of memory utilized by MultiCharts.exe?

Please send me the following information for further investigation:
- workspaces you are using;
- in PowerLanguage editor->File->Export->export with dependent functions the studies you are using on the workspaces you are providing. send me the study export file.
- pack your databases and send them to me. To find databases:
1) Windows Start->Run
2) For Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 paste the following command: %allusersprofile%\TS Support\MultiCharts ;
For Windows XP paste the following command: %allusersprofile%\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts
3) Press Enter.
4) In the popped up window compress to zip the DataBase folder with all its contents.

Please upload the files to any file sharing hosting and send me (support@multicharts.com) the download link and we will analyze this case.

You can also come to our live chat Monday-Friday 6:30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate this behavior remotely and we will collect all required for analysis information.

Return to “MultiCharts”