Survey for contract types

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

Survey for contract types

Postby Guest » 26 Sep 2006

It seems like MC sometimes crash on certain contracts.

I think for the popular ones like ES or YM, they tend to be fine i.e MC do test them.
But for the less popular ones, sometimes i think MC do not test that they work.

I would like to create a list of less popular contracts that some of us trade, so that MC can do their due diligence to make sure they work.

Here's my list :
( format:- Data_source contract_id contract_type)

IB SGXNK (futures)
IB HSI ( futures/options )
IB HHI (futures/options )
IB TOPX (futures )
IB JGB (futures/options )
IB K200 (futures/options )
IB STW (futures )
IB SPI (futures )

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 26 Sep 2006

your input is most welcome, please send the symbols and describe conditions under which the problems occur.

Actually, for MultiCharts there is no difference at all what the symbol name is, once data is received from the vendor, it will be charted without anything symbol-specific.

Postby Guest » 26 Sep 2006

your input is most welcome, please send the symbols and describe conditions under which the problems occur.

Actually, for MultiCharts there is no difference at all what the symbol name is, once data is received from the vendor, it will be charted without anything symbol-specific.
Alex, what you said works in the ideal situation.

If what you said is absolutely true, then why is it some time back that JGB Options from IB feed cannot be plotted properly ? The bug is so obvious that if you guys had tested, it would clearly be flagged out.

Most importanly, the symbols that work on current versions, may not work when new MC versions come out. Bugs may have been introduced in new versions.

That's why MC, needs some kind of testing mechanism to make sure with each upgrade, some of this symbols can be plotted properly.

Not asking you to test the whole universe of instruments, which is why i proposed this list.

MC must at least do basic due diligence to test.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 27 Sep 2006

Please detail what exactly was the problem with the JGB symbols, was it returning a "Symbol not found" or something else?

You're also describing an ideal situation here - customer says symbol is broken, developers find a solution. We need a description of the problem that keeps occuring.

For instance, "QWERTY December futures from XYZ exchange does not receive tick data on Fridays".

There's so many combinations of settings and parameters for a symbol that just its name cannot assure that letting it run in a basic test will locate the problem.

Postby Guest » 27 Sep 2006

Please detail what exactly was the problem with the JGB symbols, was it returning a "Symbol not found" or something else?

You're also describing an ideal situation here - customer says symbol is broken, developers find a solution. We need a description of the problem that keeps occuring.

For instance, "QWERTY December futures from XYZ exchange does not receive tick data on Fridays".

There's so many combinations of settings and parameters for a symbol that just its name cannot assure that letting it run in a basic test will locate the problem.
I am sure if stanley or yourself dig up you emails, you will remember the problem i reported last time about JGB options.

Yes, its the No Realtime symbol.. error.
How complicated can this be:
1. plot the symbol on a chart
2. save the workspace
3. restart MC
4. you get a blank chart, no realtime error
and it happens everytime

IT is not a complicated senerio,clearly if you guys had done some basic testing you would have flag it out.

That's why i suggest the list, for you to do basic due dilligence.

But if you guys choose not too.. then its fine with me.

Just that next time, if due to a new upgrade, any existing symbols that was previously working fine and after the upgrade cannot even plot or have any other basic errors, be prepared to hear you customers scream.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 28 Sep 2006

We'll check the functioning of the symbols you've listed, thanks for providing the list.
As to the JGB symbol, we remember it well - wasn't hard to see that it did not work. The actual reason was not as easy to fix; accounting for options that in half of the cases have fractional strike prices took dedicated effort.

mm

Postby mm » 28 Sep 2006

greetings,
I have tried to bring up a chart for the Nikkei futures from the Singapore Exchange(SGX). the symbol is XLV06. I get the following on the chart "No Data". on the quote manager I get the following: "TWS message: id=23; errorCode=200; errorMsg= No security definition has been found for the request: Invalid value in field #100" I am using Interactive Brokers and the MC version is 1.90.449.1165. I have restarted IB TWS and multicharts several times and it still won't work. when I loaded the symbol it said it was loaded successfully. I also made sure I had requested data from the proper time since I know their time zone is very different than U.S. could someone please help me out? thanks in advance.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 29 Sep 2006

1. Please check the symbol settings, I haven't been able to find any XLV, either futures or index on SGX using the MultiCharts lookup.

2. Please update MultiCharts, the IB datafeed has been modified to account for the changes IB introduced in thair format about a couple months ago. The newer version can be found at www.topstep.com/MultiCharts.468.865.exe

Return to “MultiCharts”