Erratic Memory Consumption

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
damageboy

Erratic Memory Consumption

Postby damageboy » 17 Oct 2006

Hi,
Today I had to shut down the beta during trading due to MCActiveX.exe taking up 1.6GB of memory...

Subsequent lanches of MC did npt reproduce the problem...

Is there anything I/you can do try and diagnose this?

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 17 Oct 2006

If this happens again, please do not close it, call us on Live Support chat so we could use HelpDesk for a direct look. this will be most appreciated.

damageboy

Postby damageboy » 17 Oct 2006

Sure thing,
It's not an "if", it's a "when".

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 17 Oct 2006

Ok, hope this will be during our office hours... thanks, your help will be most appreciated.

damageboy

Postby damageboy » 18 Oct 2006

Hi,
I tried to intiate a chat, it was 14:20 CME Exchange time.
No one was in.

Here's a screenshot of process explorer with the MC processes for what it's worth.

Normally the MCActiveX.exe process takes ~100MB for my set of charts/workspaces, and it stays that way, I don't know what on earth trigggered this....
Attachments
mcativex-rampage.png
(677.52 KiB) Downloaded 1557 times

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Oct 2006

something similar happened to me.
I found out that the wsp ballooned to 24MB each, and I had 5~6 wsp opened at one time. You can see that I quickly ran out of memory.

To fix the problem, I deleted all the wsp and created the charts all over again.
my memory usage is back to normal now.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 18 Oct 2006

Dear damageboy -
Please contact us on LiveSupport chat (http://tssupport.com/support/); we'll use HelpDesk remote connection to take a look , don't need to wait for the memory overload to happen, we'll take a look at the situation as it develops.
If you're not able to contact us, please send the workspaces you used when this occured.

P.S: was it the latest beta, version 644.1126? If not, then we've seen memory problems in earlier versions.

damageboy

MC diagnostics

Postby damageboy » 19 Oct 2006

In reference to this ongoing issue I'm having,
I think it would be very wise for multicharts to have some sort of a /debug switch or whatever means to toggle extensive logging.
This could help to debug these sort of issues which are sometimes hard to reproduce.

Specifically in my case, initiating the remote desktop connection may itself be impossible under the given load conditions, however having a log file would be useful.

In addition, many developers/users of MC are smart enough to glean information from logfiles written by other sw developers, this alone could save the ping-pong with support and help me pinpoint if this issue is with MC or with my code...

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 19 Oct 2006

The detailed logging can be activated or blocked by setting a registry key; we could send this key personally to you by email or private message, but you seem to be suggesting it as a feature for power users, right?

damageboy

Postby damageboy » 19 Oct 2006

I personally think it is a feature, doesn't matter how you package it:
I know the the bulk majority of users of retail products like MC would not be interested by this.

But those very same users that WOULD be interested are usually those that create the more professional community indicators/systems... so in the global scheme of things, although this type of advanced debugging would interest probably 5 people on this board directly, the outcome of their work would be beneficial to the broader community.

I'll add a real life example: The indicator that is probably causing all of this is a modified version of MD which uses ADE/ELCollections.dll as it's database for storing MD information into .csv files.

I would absolutely LOVE to spread this for free on this board. period.
I *think* it's working ok (I've ported it from TS to MC, it ran perfect in TS) but this 1.5GB ram consumption thing is making me think 5 times before releasing it here and getting flamed and scorched by people for rebooting their machines during trading.

I'll be happy to get the registry key, I know how programmers work, I am a professional SW developer myself, and I'm sure this sort of a thing would make my and a few selected other's lives extremely more efficient in regards to MC.

Nick

Postby Nick » 20 Oct 2006

I guess you have thought of this but does MC save some sort of context on a heap or stack when passing stuff to the ADE .dll? Is it releasing it properly? That should be fairly easy to track.

I look forward to your database version Damage but as I said before the real solution is have an option for MC to load charts tick by tick (even if they are higher time frame charts).

Cheers,
nick.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 20 Oct 2006

Dear damageboy -
Could we please have a look at that indicator's code? Instead of poring over this problem we could debug it quickly and efficiently to everyone's benefit.

templ

Re: Erratic Memory Consumption

Postby templ » 08 Dec 2006

Hi,
Today I had to shut down the beta during trading due to MCActiveX.exe taking up 1.6GB of memory...
I have this (Erratic Memory Consumption) with tsServer.exe until 1.7 GB (swap file), if I download data from IB with seconds resolution for a period of one or two month.

And I asked what happens if MC exits during the download, in this thread: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=2729

I got some logs if MC crashed, yesterday and a log today morning after reboot, I will send it per email.
Attachments
zips.JPG
(19.08 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times

Return to “MultiCharts”