Cross-Hair and Tracking Modes should be 're-designed'

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
denizen2

Cross-Hair and Tracking Modes should be 're-designed'

Postby denizen2 » 25 Oct 2006

I have previously commented (privately) to TS SUPPORT about how frustating it is to use the cursor-crosshair tracking modes. I will repeat here my complaint and suggestion for improvement:
Once you click the toolbar choice for vertical cursor line and/or tracking mode, the vertical line is moving ALL the time, regardless of whether any mouse button is being pushed down. :roll: This is very unlike what is done on the TS s/w. Why not require the left-mouse-button be pushed to activate AND move the vertical line cursor? That way, you can set the line-cursor someplace and then move the mouse to do something else while keeping the cursor-line-marker where you last placed it.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 25 Oct 2006

Thanks for the input, we'll consider this interface option.

Nick

Postby Nick » 26 Oct 2006

Also please change the 'grab' icon to a something with a point so it is clear exactly where the cursor is pointing. (maybe the pointing fingure icon).

Also have the pop up information box (that pops up when you are moving cursor with left mouse down) pop up top left of screen rather than at the cursor. It can obsucre the drawing 'handle' you are moving.

Cheers.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 26 Oct 2006

Dear Nick - we see your point, but as regards the "grab" icon, I personally found that opening an object's format dialog by clicking its label in the new betas' status line is more convenient than selecting them on the chart.

The location of the popup window has been brought up before, we'll consider this, thanks.

Nick

Postby Nick » 27 Oct 2006

HI Alex,

I was talking about drawing objects rather than study objects. Should have made that clear. For example if you have drawn a trend line and as time goes by you want to adjust it to reflect a slight change in the trend the only practicle way to do it is by adjusting with the drawing handles.

Still hoping that drawing tools get some much needed love and attention before long.

Cheers,
Nick.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 27 Oct 2006

Dear Nick -
It's possible to adjust a trendline through the Format Drawing dialog, where a list of all drawing objects will be available for easy selection. Thanks for the input, but we aren't going to modify the hand cursor.

Nick

Postby Nick » 31 Oct 2006

it is not unusual to accumulate 50 or more drawing objects on a chart the only practicle way to select one is pointing and clicking on it. Likewise it is also completely impracticle to manualy edit date time & price to move a drawn line. Come on Alex this must be a joke suggesting this?

I wonder if anyone at TSSuport has spent any time using the drawing tools? I would guess not. Currently I do. Every day, day in day out. Plain price chart, volume, trend lines, channels and an ocasional pitchfork. I can assure you there are many annoying 'features' with them as I detailed in another thread.

I have at some time or other used many of the leading (and some not so leading) charting packages to trade so have experienced how others have implemented things. I can assure you that MC is weak in this area. If you dont believe me try for yourself, I would suggest starting with Ensign. Just a little attention could improve things dramaticaly. It appears these things (drawing tools) have been put in simply so you can 'tick the boxes' on the feature sheet.

Cheers,
nick.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 01 Nov 2006

Dear Nick -

Could you please explain the differences in the way selection (grabbing) pointers work in Ensign and MultiCharts as you understand this?

ybfjax

Re: Cross-Hair and Tracking Modes should be 're-designed'

Postby ybfjax » 23 Mar 2007

I have previously commented (privately) to TS SUPPORT about how frustating it is to use the cursor-crosshair tracking modes. I will repeat here my complaint and suggestion for improvement:
Once you click the toolbar choice for vertical cursor line and/or tracking mode, the vertical line is moving ALL the time, regardless of whether any mouse button is being pushed down. :roll: This is very unlike what is done on the TS s/w. Why not require the left-mouse-button be pushed to activate AND move the vertical line cursor? That way, you can set the line-cursor someplace and then move the mouse to do something else while keeping the cursor-line-marker where you last placed it.
To further comment, the "tracking Price and Time" tool is too broad. I would like to be able to track only linked charts, NOT every chart on the workspace. How do I do this?

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 24 Mar 2007

Concerning the topic of the Cursor-Tracking-Mode :) , I too will add another suggestion (to the last one): 'The tracking' mode in most cases 'should' only have an effect on the charts in the ONE workspace that is being viewed, i.t., it is not even possible to view more than one workspace at a time, AND if you even try to select another workspace you have to change the position of the mouse in order to select the 'other' workspace.....ooops :shock: You have just changed the cursor position too :twisted: .

The other 'feature' that drives me crazy about the Cursor-Tracking-Mode is that the horizontal-level line is placed into EVERY sub-chart, of EVERY chart, regardless of whether it is even 'appropriate' or 'logical'. For example, if my cursor-pointer is placed in the region of a PRICE chart (usually, Sub-chart#1), then it makes absolutely no sense to see a HORIZONTAL-level line in all of my indicator sub-charts, e.g., any oscillator indicator. It just adds a lot of clutter :roll: .

This 'features' seems to be designed so that IF any sub-chart has 'similar' vertical-level scales as the original chart, then it is 'assumed' that the horizontal-level line should be printed in that sub-chart. Bad assumption :wink: . For example, if you have Forex price charts in the workspace, then most of the price-levels are between some positive numbers, e.g., 0.5 to 2.0, right? And most of my sub-charts are some kind of oscillator have values between -3 and 3. The VERTICAL line is all I want to see tracking across all of these sub-charts, NOT the meaningless and confusing horizontal lines in EVERY sub-chart. Does anybody there ever actually use this 'feature'?

I really do like the 'idea' of the Tracking-Cursor feature, and use it ALL of the time, but the implementation of this idea *really* needs to be redesigned, in my opinion.

As a 'guide' to what is really needed, I would suggest that the TS implementation is much better example of the vertical-line-tracker , and then add to that the horizontal-levels tracking that occurs only in the *price*-charts. And also add more selective control over which charts to be tracked, i.e., (A) LINKED-charts, (b) 'local'-workspace, or (c) 'global'.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 30 Mar 2007

And also add more selective control over which charts to be tracked, i.e., (A) LINKED-charts, (b) 'local'-workspace, or (c) 'global'.
We will try to redesign "cursor tracking mode" functionality later.

ybfjax

Postby ybfjax » 30 Mar 2007

We will try to redesign "cursor tracking mode" functionality later.
Yes. Thank you for acknowledging this.

Return to “MultiCharts”