Performance report. Monthly returns and drawdowns query

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
wilkinsw

Performance report. Monthly returns and drawdowns query

Postby wilkinsw » 20 Jun 2013

Would anyone be kind enough to clarify what the striped bars represent in the monthly returns and drawdowns tab of the performance report.

Please see attached.

The striped bars seem far too large to represent run up or drawdown. The max intratrade drawdown for this strategy is $8700. Therefore why is there a red striped bar plot of -$20,500?

It looks like the striped bars may represent total profits and total losses?

Thanks.
Attachments
Monthly returns and drawdowns.doc
(221.5 KiB) Downloaded 205 times

swz168

Re: Performance report. Monthly returns and drawdowns query

Postby swz168 » 20 Jun 2013

Would anyone be kind enough to clarify what the striped bars represent in the monthly returns and drawdowns tab of the performance report.

Please see attached.

The striped bars seem far too large to represent run up or drawdown. The max intratrade drawdown for this strategy is $8700. Therefore why is there a red striped bar plot of -$20,500?

It looks like the striped bars may represent total profits and total losses?

Thanks.
This is what I understand:

Those red/green stripe bars represent unrealized loss/profit.
Red Stripes: Your position was in the lost "zone", but it was closed with less loss or even turned to be a win trade.
Green Stripes: Your position was in the win "zone", but it was closed with less win or even turned to be a loss trade.

wilkinsw

Re: Performance report. Monthly returns and drawdowns query

Postby wilkinsw » 20 Jun 2013

Thanks for the reply. However in the month with a -20,500 red striped bar, I never had a single trade go even close to being that far offside.

So how are these bars calculated? I'm guessing it's an addition of all the max offside/onside values for all trades for the month. Ie. it's trying to depict efficiency of entries and exits?????

Your reply (swz168) implies that it depicts offside/onside per trade and I think it is exactly how the monthly report looks.

Ie it is misleading!

Can I kindly request that multicharts change this feature as I've been presenting my system results to my boss and it looked pretty awful that the monthly return bars are flanked by such massive margins of error. These striped bars are even labelled "run up" and "drawdown".

Cumulating max offside/onside for all positions in a month is NOT strategy "run up" and drawdown"!

In my above attachment my system did NOT experience a drawdown of $-20,500. It did not require weathering adversity to the tune of $-20500 to make the end of month $10000. Ie if I had put in a system stop for that month of -$4000 (intratrade or otherwise) it wouldn't have been reached and I would still have made $10000.

Sorry for the rant, but it is a horribly misleading and mislabelled part of the performance report.

Return to “MultiCharts”