Feature Request: Mobile App

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
swz168

Feature Request: Mobile App

Postby swz168 » 22 Jun 2013

Please vote if you wish a mobile app to access and monitor Multicharts.

https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1370

arnie

Re: Feature Request: Mobile App

Postby arnie » 23 Jun 2013

You can already do this using TeamViewer software.

Personally I would prefer a standalone app capable of plotting realtime charts.

The question though is what type of tablet chart capabilities we want.
Something similar to MC with all the bells and whistles or something more basic?

We also have the datafeed issue. How many are available to pay for another monthly feed subscription so they can have realtime data on their tablets? For stocks the monthly feed is really insignificant but for futures things are a bit different. I would not be in the mood to pay another $60 a month to have CME on my tablet, specially when the tablet chart viewing would be something to be viewed only from time to time and not on a continuous way.

And also, how many datafeed's gave API's for Android and iOS platform?
For example, the ideal would be to have IQFeed client recognize if we were already connected or not, allowing us to access multiple platforms with a single account, similar to what MC does where we can have multiple computers with MC installed but only one can run at a time. But this is something that datafeeds would need to be able to do and so far none showed such feature.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, eSignal offers a mobile chart service with a single account.

I'm becoming a tablet addict :P
How cool is it to wake up, grab your tablet, connect to your broker to see how quotes are, see what has been happening on the overnight session on their charts (IB charts on their Android platform are able to show us a decent view), read the latest news, view your emails...
I can say that I get up of bed now much more relaxed :P

swz168

Postby swz168 » 23 Jun 2013

Arnie, I'm already using TeamViewer. That is a great peace of Software.

But nevertheless, if you are not using a tablet, but an mobile phone, you will realize that the navigation is not comfortable enough.

I was not thinking of an full MC mobile version with all charting capabilities, but an addition to Multicharts.

Just an comfortable remote control and monitoring software. Like switching on/off strategies, changing input parameters. Status reports like what strategies are on, are there datafeed problems.
Information what is offered in order and position tracker.
Push information if an order is sent/closed. Sending Alerts to Mobile.

If charting capabilities is wished by the majority, MC could send its data to mobile app.

arnie

I've used TeamViewer a couple of times, back then I had no tablet so, like you, I would access using my phone, a 3.5" screen, which would be an adventure to scroll not only one screen but since I have 8, I would need to know in advance in which screen was the information I wanted to see.
A pretty traumatic experience.

With the tablet I really haven't tested TeamViewer but then again, I really don't need it now since I'm sit in from of the screens all day and when I'm out of the office the only need I have is to see the charts since I don't trade, that's why, personally I would prefer a standalone app but I understand your request, a simple app where you could monitor/manage your strategies.

But you've pointed to an interesting direction.
An app that would access QM's data and retrieve it.
If QM is receiving realtime data the app could access it. Actually, QM could be set up to connect to a cloud service where the data would be saved and this way the app would access it and we would always have updated data.

I like it. It's an interesting idea.
MC would create a cloud service so each user could save their QM data into it and this way, not only it could be accessed via Android or iOS platform but also through MC itself. Instead of exporting data into another computer, we could set QM to download the data already on the cloud. This way all our MC installations in the several computers we might have would be always up to date.

evdl

Postby evdl » 23 Jun 2013

An app (especially for mobiles) would be nice to monitor and control your running strategies when you need to go out of the office. This is handy for full automatic systems.

The idea of a cloud service with all QM data is brilliant. I have 3 pc that I use for testing and trading, I need to get synced everytime. And after the syncing, you always have to test all these systems if they generate the same output with backtesting, optimising etc.. Because a slight difference in data, results in very different output. That is a lot of work. This can all be history with the cloud idea.

And you can also keep your workspaces and studies synced across multiple systems. My vote hereby.

swz168

Postby swz168 » 23 Jun 2013

This is what the other trading platform plans (preview):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCUu_gf3KRQ

arnie

This is what the other trading platform plans (preview):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCUu_gf3KRQ
Interesting ideas but not fond of the idea of having the desktop version opened so the mobile can access the data.
For managing positions I understand the desktop needs to be running since all orders are being routed through the desktop to the broker but for the charts alone it's quite limiting.

Maybe for charts TradingView becomes a better choice but then again, we have the datafeed issue. Futures data is expensive and having to pay for a second feed when you already have one on the desktop... Maybe the idea of having QM's data on the cloud available for the app would be more suitable, although in this case the desktop would need to be running so we could have access to realtime data, otherwise all data received would be historic data, the one already saved on QM which would be nice to have also since we could do homework on our charts after market hours.

I see that for iOS there's an app coming for TradingView but for Android "potentially" will be one also. Potentially? Really? Common Stan... Android is simply the most spread out mobile OS in the world, it will continue to be since iOS prefers to target the high end market and you'll prefer to invest only in iOS?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 23 Jun 2013

I use the PocketCloud app to access my trading machine remotely. It works pretty well for both the phone and the ipad. Still... difficult with the phone because of the size.

A MC app would be great. It seems like it should already be here to compete with the industry. Everything has a mobile app nowadays.

datamonkey

Postby datamonkey » 11 Aug 2014

A bit late to the party but I agree a mobile app for tablets etc would be great.

Even if it's just cut down with features to offer basic charting etc. There are some excellent examples already out there such as TradeInterceptor which allow for technical analysis. Something similar for MC would be great :)

Return to “MultiCharts”