MC retrieving data all over again?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TJ

MC retrieving data all over again?

Postby TJ » 21 Nov 2006

this morning MC is taking a long time to draw the charts.
It seems that MC is not using the historic data from storage, but instead retrieving the back data from IB all over again.
Is that what is happening?

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Nov 2006

Data is taken from the local storage, but if there is a gap, in Online mode+download missing data setting it will request data to close it online.
If you need speed, remove the "download missing data" setting, reboot the computer and retry. It will take an instant.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 Nov 2006

Alex:
on the "download missing data" setting, how far does MC go back to review the data integrity to see if there is anything missing?
I rebooted the computer, so the most lost data would be 5 minutes.
I can see the status line on the chart saying 19939 quests received, but it still won't draw anything.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 Nov 2006

Data is taken from the local storage, but if there is a gap, in Online mode+download missing data setting it will request data to close it online.
If you need speed, remove the "download missing data" setting, reboot the computer and retry. It will take an instant.
Alex:

I have unchecked the "download missing" box. Exited MC and restarted the program. But the charts are still not drawing.

I can see the status line says 53737 quotes received, but none of the charts are coming up.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 21 Nov 2006

I can see the status line on the chart saying 19939 quests received, but it still won't draw anything.
It checks for gaps in the entire set of already downloaded data.

Could we try HelpDesk tomorrow, preferably at a time about 10 AM EST so we can show it to the developers?

denizen2

Also 'Reloads' Data After ONLY a Color Change

Postby denizen2 » 25 Nov 2006

Three Problems/Questions:
(1) My change of just the COLOR style of a dataseries seems to be enough to trigger the reloading of a whole year's worth of 2min-data. A rather silly reason to reload ANY data, I would say, wouldn't you? :roll:

(2) Since the computer has been on constantly for days, and this particular chart has been updated at least every two minutes, AND this is Saturday when all FX data servers are suspended, THEN there can not be any 'reason' for any 'missing' data to trigger any reload, right? Missing data, or something else causes the reload? Wrong/different 'color? :wink:

(3) Assuming the software has decided there is need to reload the data, then why should it take several minutes to do so IF it is indeed just being loaded from storage? The status line on the plot shows the number of "quotes received" as the reload or download progresses. IF the data is really all in storage (database) then should we see this 'quotes received' being counted? It would be 'nice' if the status line would say explicitly whether it is downloading NEW data to fill the database, OR it is merely 'loading' the plot from the database.

I jsut changed the color again of the 2min data, and there was no reloading triggered this time. Then I picked another dataseries on the same plot, the 1Hr data, and changed the color. This triggered the 'downloading' of the data again.

BTW: All of this data that I am using is from eSignal, NOT the IB datafeed being discussed above in this topic. So it would seem that this problem is NOT specific to IB.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 27 Nov 2006

Maybe the problem has been fixed already in the new internal version I'm testing, or something - I can't seem to reproduce it with a couple years of 5-minute, 10-minute bars.

Both using IB and eSignal data, when I change the color or line thickness, there is no reloading. Moreover, the new style is applied instantly to the chart as it is visible in the background - I change the style for Close, all close parts of bars are updated, then I proceed to change the Open and so on.

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 27 Nov 2006

Maybe the problem has been fixed already in the new internal version I'm testing, or something - I can't seem to reproduce it with a couple years of 5-minute, 10-minute bars.

Both using IB and eSignal data, when I change the color or line thickness, there is no reloading. Moreover, the new style is applied instantly to the chart as it is visible in the background - I change the style for Close, all close parts of bars are updated, then I proceed to change the Open and so on.
Hi Alex,
Well, I *hope* there is a new version soon that fixes the data handling problems related to (a) re-downloading, rather than using cache data, and (b) the 'triggering' of 'reload' when no data-parameters have been changed [e.g., color changed]

Don't you have the version 644.1126 for 'testing' whether, or not, the described problem can be duplicated, as reported by the users (such as me)? If so, then maybe your 'testing' on the new 'inhouse' version would then indicate that something has been 'found' AND 'fixed'. In the meantime, your reply only means that you have not been able to see the same problem, and maybe you are too busy to confirm my reported bug as a 'problem to be fixed'? Any ETA for the new version? Will that be a 'beta' or the awaited 'production' version that you are 'testing' now?

Return to “MultiCharts”