Linking Charts only in one workspace

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
templ

Linking Charts only in one workspace

Postby templ » 01 Dec 2006

Hi,

I want to link Linking Charts by Resolution only in one workspace or chart.
But in the moment all (in all charts and all workspaces) symbols changes the chart resolution if they have the same linking color code. What can I do?

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 02 Dec 2006

Dear templ,

Currently MultiCharts supports global linking mode only. It means linking works through all the charts, workspaces and even MultiCharts instances running at the PC.

You can operate 14 independent link chains for symbol names and another 14 for symbol resolutions simultaneously.

Frankly, I have no idea why it is not enough for you. Could you explain your requirements with that given workspace - i.e. the list of symbols and how do you operate them i.e. how do you link them and change them?

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 02 Dec 2006

Dear templ,

Currently MultiCharts supports global linking mode only. It means linking works through all the charts, workspaces and even MultiCharts instances running at the PC.

You can operate 14 independent link chains for symbol names and another 14 for symbol resolutions simultaneously.

Frankly, I have no idea why it is not enough for you. Could you explain your requirements with that given workspace - i.e. the list of symbols and how do you operate them i.e. how do you link them and change them?
I too was surprised by the 'Global' behavior of the 'linking' mode. :? The Global mode is a 'good' feature, but it is not the 'expected' behavior of that feature, especially for those who are (or have been) TS users :shock: May the word "*PC_Global*" should be included in some promiment place in the user-interface so that the user's expectations are better informed. :wink:

Personally, I would prefer that the behavior be changed so that there is a choice of computer-global, or workspace-global, because having only the one requires *planning* and manual book-keeping by the user to keep track of what color is used for linking which symbol and/or resolution. It can easily become an 'unmanageable' situation when using the computer-global approach, unless it is used very *carefully*. This 'feature' cost me far more than it was worth, because I was unaware that it was *global*..., on 'steroids' :shock: . :)

templ

Postby templ » 02 Dec 2006

Mr. Kirillov,

e.g. in MC I have four or five workspaces open, in every workspace ca. four charts in most of the charts three datasources (Bid, Ask,Trades) or sometimes more.
So, with my understanding of how Linking Charts works I need for ervery symbol a separate color, to link the three datasources (Bid, Ask,Trades) in one chart. I dont want that in other "charts" or workspaces this or other symbols changing also the resolution. So, you wrote MC has 14 (colors) for symbol resolutions, this means I can only use this feature for 14 charts.
My requirement is to link multiple datasources in one chart e.g. (Bid, Ask,Trades) or different symbols like a basket of symbols in one chart, so that all symbols or datasources are changing the resolutuion, but only in this chart where I display them. I want all other charts untouched, if I change one chart.

It would be nice, like I understand denizen2, to have the feature of local linking (only for the chart itself) or to the workspace where the chart is located and global for all workspaces.

My requirement is the feature of local linking, like a zoning (only for the chart itself).

Hope I could clear my requirement .
Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 03 Dec 2006

Dear templ & denizen2,

Surely we will add "Workspace-level" linking feature later.

templ

Postby templ » 08 Dec 2006

Hello,
I don't understand really what is with linking by symbol. For example I want to change the data range for a group of symbols, can I do this? I don't find how.

So, i want to change the data range (for a group of symbols)
from 01.10.2006 to 08.12.2006

to
new data range:
from 01.12.2006 to 08.12.2006

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 19 Dec 2006

Dear templ,
I don't understand really what is with linking by symbol. For example I want to change the data range for a group of symbols, can I do this?
1. "Linking by symbol" means that you can change at once all the symbols linked by the same symbol name. This feature is primarily targeted at those who want to analyse a given symbol in several resolutions simultaneously or with several studies on a number of charts.
"Linking by resolution" is targeted at those who analyse a bunch of symbols by one timeframe, then another timeframe etc. When the charts are linked by resolution you can change the resolution of all the charts with several clicks.
2. As for data range linking we will consider this feature. I beleive that would be useful.

Return to “MultiCharts”