RE: timeframe issue on MC  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.

RE: timeframe issue on MC

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2007

Hi MC support team,

I want to plot both 24 hrs data (look at overnite session) as well as reugular session (from 9:30 to 4:15 EST) of YM (dow jones) on Multichart.

Is there a way to do it. It seems that I can only do it one way or the other but not both.

THanks in advacne

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 04 Jan 2007

Dear Sir,

How exactly do you want to display both versions of the symbol?

Do you want to place a 24hrs data series in one subchart and regular data series in another subchart of the same chart window?
Or do you want to have 24hrs chart with regular session intervals painted in another color?
It seems that I can only do it one way or the other but not both.
As far I see you were able to plot either 24hrs or regular chart so I suppose you have no problems with sessions settings.

[SOLVED]

Postby Guest » 05 Jan 2007

Dear Andrew

Yes, I would like to have a 24hrs data series of YM on a subchart and a regular section on another subchart. I know how to set time session.

Please inform me the trick to set up the chats

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 05 Jan 2007

Dear Sir,

1. Plot YM chart. That would be the 1st subchart with 24 hrs session by default.
2. Charts takes sessions settings from Format Symbol -> Settings -> Sessions drop-down list. This list has 2 options: 24 hours & Regular. Pay attention here: 24 Hours are always 24 hours BUT Regular takes settings from QuoteManager settings for a given symbol.
3. Now it's time to setup sessions in QuoteManager:
QuoteManager -> Double-click your symbol (i.e. YM) -> Sessions
4. Here you can either select pre-set sessions from Use Custom Session Template option or create your own in Use Custom Sessions option.
5. As soon as you set required session settings you may plot a symbol limited with that sessions.
6. Go back to your chart in MultiCharts and click F5 key on your keyboard.
7. This will bring FormatSymbol window. Plot YM symbol again BUT select regular session. Click OK.
8. Now you have 2nd chart with limited sessions while 1st subchart still have 24 hrs session.

You may take a look to screenshot. Let me know if you have questions on this.
Attachments
2Sessions.png
(41.78 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2007

Dear Andrew

Thanks for your help, I got it now.

I however still have problem to plot a daily bar (1 day) with 24hrs' worth data. I was not allowed to chocie between regular and 24 hrs from the setting in the format symbols, so only data from regular session is plotted.

Is there a way from me to look at 24 hrs of data on a daily bar?

Thanks again

ax

Postby ax » 06 Jan 2007

The way I got round that was to create another symbol, with a session to suit, in Quote Manager .

Howerver as Quote Manger will not allow you to add a duplicate symbol one has to fool it by manually adding a symbol with the charactoristics you require but with the symbol misspelt, then after it is added you can correct it and Q will manage it fine.
For example when I created the Symbols ZB Mar 07 (Regular Hours) ZB Mar 07 (24 Hours) and ZB Mar 07 (8am - 3pm) I just added the new symbols with an extra space between ZB and Mar then in QM chose Edit symbol and took the space out. and Voila!!

Caution: when re you reload MC will often run up with the 1st ZB symbol in the list so in your chart window you may have to reselect the one you want
Attachments
Multi TF Symbol.jpg
(9.17 KiB) Downloaded 1087 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 06 Jan 2007

Dear ax,

thank you for your input, this is a good way of using symbols.

Dear guest,
Is there a way from me to look at 24 hrs of data on a daily bar?
Usually datafeeds gives data in 1-tick, 1-min and 1-day resolutions (it depends on datafeed). In case you plot 1-day chart - 1-day data reqested. So it's up to datafeed to provide 1-day data for regular interval or 24 hrs.

In your case you need to plot 1-day chart from 1-min resolution data to get the quotes besides the regular session. Just plot 1440-min chart, it would be the 24hrs bar as you need (note that you need to select 24hrs session in "Format Symbol").

Take a look at screenshot please.
Attachments
1440min.png
(38.13 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times

Postby Guest » 14 Jan 2007

The way I got round that was to create another symbol, with a session to suit, in Quote Manager .

Howerver as Quote Manger will not allow you to add a duplicate symbol one has to fool it by manually adding a symbol with the charactoristics you require but with the symbol misspelt, then after it is added you can correct it and Q will manage it fine.
For example when I created the Symbols ZB Mar 07 (Regular Hours) ZB Mar 07 (24 Hours) and ZB Mar 07 (8am - 3pm) I just added the new symbols with an extra space between ZB and Mar then in QM chose Edit symbol and took the space out. and Voila!!

Caution: when re you reload MC will often run up with the 1st ZB symbol in the list so in your chart window you may have to reselect the one you want
won't this corrupt the database because QM would try collect data in 2 time formats and save to the same symbol?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 15 Jan 2007

Dear Sir,

The database should not be corrupted in this case.

Return to “MultiCharts”