New Bug?: Can't change line width property (of Plot1)

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
denizen2

New Bug?: Can't change line width property (of Plot1)

Postby denizen2 » 08 Feb 2007

I can no longer change the line-width property of an indicator's plotted line (i.e., Plot1). In other words, if Format Study-> Style box, then try to change the 'Weight' of the top-listed Plot, then the drop-down list that is supposed to show the different weights available does NOT drop down. This used to work ok, or at least I never noticed until upgrading to latest version a couple of days ago.

We were hoping for 'more' control over the line widths would be in this beta version, but it looks like we now have even less :? .

But, other than that issue, it looks more stable (not crashing) compared to the Dec beta.... so thank you for that HUGE improvement. :D

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 08 Feb 2007

Dear denizen2,

Make sure that you are trying to control the width for "solid line", not for any of dashed lines.

Changing the width for dashed lines never been available while you can easily change width for solid line. Let me know then if you still have problems on this.

Postby Guest » 08 Feb 2007

Dear denizen2,

Make sure that you are trying to control the width for "solid line", not for any of dashed lines.

Changing the width for dashed lines never been available while you can easily change width for solid line. Let me know then if you still have problems on this.
Yes, I am aware about the solid-line only restriction.

I am reporting that for solid-line styles that the top line in the format box will not allow any change of line width. Did you try it on your side? I see this same bug on two different computers, both have been updated with the newest MC version [2.0.763.930].

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 08 Feb 2007

In case you set explicitly style properties in the indicator code then these style properties will always have a priority over style settings in "Format Study" window.

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 08 Feb 2007

In case you set explicitly style properties in the indicator code then these style properties will always have a priority over style settings in "Format Study" window.
Andrew, ... I have not set explicitly any style properties in any indicator code, as you might be suggesting in your post. This is code that has worked without this issue for a long time, and now with the new beta version, it now appears that a 'bug' has been introduced, as described.

Can you please just confirm the same irregular behavior on your end, and then submit it to the developers as a 'bug'? It should be very simple to confirm, right? I have, myself, tested this on two different computers, both running Windows XP, and get this same irregular behavior, i.e., it is a 'bug', that needs to be 'fixed', right?

Nick

Postby Nick » 09 Feb 2007

I can confirm, that it is broken for me too. It is for plots 1-4 at least (I have not tried higher ones). It was fine before this beta. Let me add some more information.

It works if you create a new chart and add a new study. It does not work with existing charts and studies (created with previous versions incidentally).

With existing charts the drop down menu appears for a split second then 'rolls back up' immediately.

Cheers.
Nick.

Pipscalper

Postby Pipscalper » 09 Feb 2007

The same Problem here, however if all all plots are solid lines it works well,but if one plot is not a solid line , I cannot change the width anymore.

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2007

The same Problem here, however if all all plots are solid lines it works well,but if one plot is not a solid line , I cannot change the width anymore.
Thanks Nick and Pipscalper for the confirming posts :) . My further testing here, based on your comments yields the following: The problem continues to exist even on new charts, BUT only if there is at least one plotN that contains a dotted line. So if there are no dotted lines used, THEN a Plot1 solid line can be adjusted in width, otherwise the drop-down list will only flash down momentarily.

So it would appear that the program logic that detects whether there is a dotted line for ANY particular line has now been used to disable THE FIRST line (i.e., Plot1), regardless of whether Plot1 is solid or dotted. :evil: :evil: Not good!

I would like to suggest that while the programmer is 'looking into' this 'misbehavior' of line-width adjustments, that maybe it would also be a good time to add some more control over the line-widths. I.e., There should be some way to fine-tune the amount of change between each larger line-width setting, because there is often way too much change between the thinnest, and the next thinnest (solid) line. Perhaps, this line-width should be 'measured' or specified in displayed pixels units? Maybe this could be another topic for discussion? The line width is one of those frustrating issues that never seems to be addressed that I have to deal with every day :roll:

denizen2

Postby denizen2 » 09 Feb 2007

In case anyone cares, the last post labeled as from 'guest' is actually 'denizen2'. It seems that the forum software often 'timeouts' after I have been logged in, and then I don't realize it until I 'submit' the post. It would be nice if the timeout period was set longer, but there are more important things to deal with right now I am sure.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 09 Feb 2007

Dear Sirs,

We confirm the issue. It will be fixed soon.

Pipscalper

Postby Pipscalper » 09 Feb 2007

fully agree with Denizen. Now that we seem to have a fairly stable beta, maybe it would be possible to adjust those line widths in the same process as detecting this bug

Return to “MultiCharts”