Merged data and data collection questions....

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ybfjax

Merged data and data collection questions....

Postby ybfjax » 23 Mar 2007

Once you import data, you can then manipulate it however you wish, right? I saw the data merging tutorial. On slides 21-26 of the tutorial, it talks about defining resolution.

My question is, when adding real data, can you change the resolution of the chart? What if I want to convert to minute or other intervals. Will this affect my historical portion of the data? Or once the data is imported, it can be used however we wish?

Another question I had was is there anyway to collect the data without opening multicharts? Is there anyway to do this automatically? This is especially important for data such as TransAct, because if I lose my internet connection, I cannot get backfill data.

I wonder what people are doing for historical tick data in case they miss a day (for TransAct).

Please advise.

Kate

Postby Kate » 27 Mar 2007

My question is, when adding real data, can you change the resolution of the chart? What if I want to convert to minute or other intervals. Will this affect my historical portion of the data? Or once the data is imported, it can be used however we wish?
Josh,

When you merge data from different data sources, you should remember that data received in real-time is not saved the storage and if you change the resolution you may have gaps on the chart until you update the history data (it is possible if you use acsii files). So if you change the resolution it will affect the whole chart.

Please tell me what data feeds you are going to merge.
Another question I had was is there anyway to collect the data without opening multicharts? Is there anyway to do this automatically? This is especially important for data such as TransAct, because if I lose my internet connection, I cannot get backfill data.

I wonder what people are doing for historical tick data in case they miss a day (for TransAct).
You can collect data without opening MultiCharts only if you leave QuoteManager open and collecting data for the necessary symbols. But if you lose the Internet connection it will be impossible to backfill TransAct data since they don't provide history data. In such cases I recommend you to ask other traders (at our forum, for instance) to provide you with ascii files containing tick data for that period and import them into MultiCharts.

ybfjax

Postby ybfjax » 27 Mar 2007

Josh,

When you merge data from different data sources, you should remember that data received in real-time is not saved the storage

and if you change the resolution you may have gaps on the chart until you update the history data (it is possible if you use acsii files). So if you change the resolution it will affect the whole chart.
So you mean to tell me that when I collect data real-time from transact, it's not saving to a local database? Why not? Then why collect the data?

Please tell me what data feeds you are going to merge.
I was looking at IQfeed and Transact futures contracts.
You can collect data without opening MultiCharts only if you leave QuoteManager open and collecting data for the necessary symbols. But if you lose the Internet connection it will be impossible to backfill TransAct data since they don't provide history data. In such cases I recommend you to ask other traders (at our forum, for instance) to provide you with ascii files containing tick data for that period and import them into MultiCharts.
I noticed that I connected transact to collect data on friday. I left my computer up all weekend. It didn't collect data for yesterday and today. What happened?

Kate

Postby Kate » 28 Mar 2007

So you mean to tell me that when I collect data real-time from transact, it's not saving to a local database? Why not? Then why collect the data?
Josh,

We are talking about data merging when real-time data is not collected because history data is taken from the other datasource. If you want to collect Transact data, you shouldn't use merging.
I noticed that I connected transact to collect data on friday. I left my computer up all weekend. It didn't collect data for yesterday and today. What happened?
Could you contact us via our live chat or give us a call?

Return to “MultiCharts”