Importing data problem: ascii Mapping error.....

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ybfjax

Importing data problem: ascii Mapping error.....

Postby ybfjax » 24 Mar 2007

I am attempting to import a symbol for text file. When I go to map the data, I select the tick bar resolution (it's already pre-selected). The resolution # is set to "n/a". Therefore, I do not attempt to edit this box.

Well, after I'm done editing the import settings for the symbol, I come back to the ASCII Mapping screen. I attempt to place a checkmark next to the symbol I want to import and I get an error: "Please specify resolution size". Well, the resolution size was already preset at "n/a". But MC will NOT let me check the file checkbox until I set a resolution. So what resolution is a tickbar supposed to have?

Update: I changed the tickbar resolution from "n/a" to "1" . Then when I went to checkmark the symbol, I got another error: "format of file not correct."

Update 2: I followed the tutorial video's instructions and I still keep getting "No data" errors for my ASCII Mapping symbols. I checked the text file myself. There's PLENTY of data in there.
Last edited by ybfjax on 24 Mar 2007, edited 1 time in total.

ybfjax

Postby ybfjax » 24 Mar 2007

I just don't see why I can't just import the data directly to a symbol using the "ASCII data import" tool (right-click on a symbol listed in quote manager and select import). You can import via tick, minute, or day. But the volume and tickbar options aren't there like they were with the mapping.

If I could just import tickbars (seconds bars) directly into a symbol, it would be a lot easier. It would be tedious, and perhaps multiple file selections and scheduling could make this process more rapid, but nevertheless, it would be more efficient. Unless I don't quite understand how importing works (or is supposed to work in MC).

I tried to do minute imports, and MC froze up.

Kate

Postby Kate » 30 Mar 2007

Josh,

Ascii import is used with tick, minute and day resolutions which are saved in the data storage and then other resolutions can be created on their basis. If you want to use other resolutions (tickbars, for instance) you should use Ascii mapping. In case of ascii mapping data is taken directly from the ascii file and isn't saved in the storage. Such architecture is used in order not to overload the storage.

ybfjax

Postby ybfjax » 30 Mar 2007

Josh,

Ascii import is used with tick, minute and day resolutions which are saved in the data storage and then other resolutions can be created on their basis. If you want to use other resolutions (tickbars, for instance) you should use Ascii mapping. In case of ascii mapping data is taken directly from the ascii file and isn't saved in the storage. Such architecture is used in order not to overload the storage.
I tried to ascii-map some markets with tickbars, but I kept getting errors when trying to map the tickbars. It wouldn't let me map the tickbars.

Perhaps it's time for live-support.

Kate

Postby Kate » 02 Apr 2007

Josh,

Yes, it is either time for Live Support or please send these files to tokareva@tssupport.com and our developers will check them.

Return to “MultiCharts”