DDE set up

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
wallace50

DDE set up

Postby wallace50 » 14 May 2007

I am new to all this so if the following is a stupid question then please go easy on me :?

I have just bought MC and would like to try and use the data from MT. I have watched the video on seting it up and it mentions a sample excel sheet from which you paste in references from but I cant find this anywhere. Have I missed it or is it something that I have to write myself :cry: Any help please

Kate

Postby Kate » 15 May 2007

MultiCharts supports MT data through a DDE link as it was shown in the online tutorial. You need to contact MetaQuotes and ask about a DDE link to receive their data.

WarEagle

Postby WarEagle » 15 May 2007

Wallace,

I am using the dde from MT so maybe I can help. The template for MT 3.x is already built in. If you are using MT4 you will have to make a slight modification.

In the QuoteManager, go to Tools...Data Sources and then select Universal DDE and click Settings... Select MT from the template drop down box and it will populate the fields with the original MT dde format. If you have MT4 you will need to add a "4" after each "MT" to make it work. See the attached screenshot for the proper format. Then press the test button and enter a symbol to make sure its receiving data.

In order for it to work you will have to have MT running and the dde server enabled (In MT go Tools...Options and check the "Enable DDE Server" box on the server tab).

Once the dde is working you will have to set up the symbol. This took me awhile to get right because of the time difference between the data feed and my timezone (US CST). I ended up creating a new exchange and named it MT (MET) and set the timezone to GMT+2 (or whatever your MT timezone is in). Then add the forex pairs using this new exchange and it will then convert the time properly on the chart to match the historical data and the realtime feed. Then simply import the historical data file from MT for each symbol that you created. Its very easy to quickly export an updated 1 minute file from MT whenever you have to shutdown MC for awhile. The only downside to a dde feed is that once you update the historical data it flushes the ticks you collected, so you can only use time based charts (no range charts for example).

Hope that helps.
Attachments
MT4_DDE_Settings.gif
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 1275 times

wallace50

DDE set up

Postby wallace50 » 22 May 2007

WarEagle you are a true gentleman.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

Wallace

hartley martin

Postby hartley martin » 07 Dec 2007

Any chance you could do a walkthrough on that.

I have been trying for days......and days :cry:

Many thanks
mart

hartley martin

Postby hartley martin » 09 Dec 2007

It's OK I got it.
Thank's

Mart

vsatrader

Postby vsatrader » 11 Dec 2007

Wallace,

I am using the dde from MT so maybe I can help. The template for MT 3.x is already built in. If you are using MT4 you will have to make a slight modification.

In the QuoteManager, go to Tools...Data Sources and then select Universal DDE and click Settings... Select MT from the template drop down box and it will populate the fields with the original MT dde format. If you have MT4 you will need to add a "4" after each "MT" to make it work. See the attached screenshot for the proper format. Then press the test button and enter a symbol to make sure its receiving data.

In order for it to work you will have to have MT running and the dde server enabled (In MT go Tools...Options and check the "Enable DDE Server" box on the server tab).

Once the dde is working you will have to set up the symbol. This took me awhile to get right because of the time difference between the data feed and my timezone (US CST). I ended up creating a new exchange and named it MT (MET) and set the timezone to GMT+2 (or whatever your MT timezone is in). Then add the forex pairs using this new exchange and it will then convert the time properly on the chart to match the historical data and the realtime feed. Then simply import the historical data file from MT for each symbol that you created. Its very easy to quickly export an updated 1 minute file from MT whenever you have to shutdown MC for awhile. The only downside to a dde feed is that once you update the historical data it flushes the ticks you collected, so you can only use time based charts (no range charts for example).

Hope that helps.
Hi wareagle;

Am I setting up correctly? please see the gifs, I have enabled the DDE in MT4, cannot get data.

Regards Sebastian
Attachments
MULTICHARTS DDE.gif
(76.46 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times
MULTICHARTS DDE 2.gif
(81.39 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Dec 2007

Hi vsatrader,

We can help you with setting DDE to work with MultiCharts and MT.

Please contact us through LiveChat http://messenger.providesupport.com/mes ... pport.html 6:30 am - 4:00 pm EST and our customer representatives will help you fix the datafeed issue.

Best regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”