Overlay Price-Scale/Chart Setup

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
piranhaxp

Overlay Price-Scale/Chart Setup

Postby piranhaxp » 28 Jul 2013

Is there any chance to display current price (with or without price scale) for each symbol in price charts with different symbols ... I just can't find it and can see/setup price for 1st symbol only.

Any help is appreciated ... Thx in advance.

Mike

TJ

Re: Overlay Price-Scale/Chart Setup

Postby TJ » 28 Jul 2013

you can display up to 2 price scales per chart; one on the left side of the chart, and another on the right side of the chart. You can also choose none if you want.

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 29 Jul 2013

TJ, yes that is correct. But it is not the solution, because if I set up a price-scale on the left and right side, I just can show up the scale with the price for the 1st symbol only. No chance to insert a scale with the price for the 2nd, 3rd or whatever symbol.

The reason : The scale is not related to the symbols itself, it is related to the chart-window only and different to other trading/charting programs ! It should be fixed !! At best : asap !!!

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jul 2013

TJ, yes that is correct. But it is not the solution, because if I set up a price-scale on the left and right side, I just can show up the scale with the price for the 1st symbol only. No chance to insert a scale with the price for the 2nd, 3rd or whatever symbol.

The reason : The scale is not related to the symbols itself, it is related to the chart-window only and different to other trading/charting programs ! It should be fixed !! At best : asap !!!
The left and right price scale can operate independly; you can assign different symbols to them.

Only 2 price scales (left and right)... I don't know where you can put the third one. I am curious, can you draw a mock up to illustrate?

If you want more scales, please submit a feature request. MultiCharts is very responsive to new ideas.

Or, you can write an indicator to draw your own scales; it is not that difficult.

piranhaxp

The left and right price scale can operate independly; you can assign different symbols to them.
I'm afraid I can't agree to that statement as long as I don't see the solution.

1. Left and Right Scale With Each Symbol In One Sub-Frame (each symbol has it's own scale)

2. Left and Right Scale With Each Symbol In The Same Sub-Frame (scales combined for symbol in sub-frame 1 only)

The problem is that the scale setup is related to the WINDOW/CHART (1st sub-chart) and not to the SYMBOL itself .... There is no need to define the scale in the window. MC has to change it to the symbol. If I'm not wrong and can remember right, TS was refering the price-scale to the symbol and you were able to set it up in the symbol-settings. This means you have to set the area of the price-scale in the symbol settings here :

Only 2 price scales (left and right)... I don't know where you can put the third one. I am curious, can you draw a mock up to illustrate?
1. Bloomberg Solution (just as an example)

2. This would be just fine for overlay charts (automatically)

Or, you can write an indicator to draw your own scales; it is not that difficult.
I know, easy thing. But at first EL is not the fastest and it is annoying to write things for elements who should be already implemented. And second, than more you have EL-scripts running in the charts than more MC is going slower and slower .... SIGNIFICANTLY !!!

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Jul 2013

I'm afraid I can't agree to that statement as long as I don't see the solution.
::
Step 1)
go to Format Instrument
In the Scaling tab
under the General section,
check the box for Overlay Data Series.

Step 2)
On the chart, right click on the scale, select the instrument you want for that scale.

piranhaxp

Step 1)
go to Format Instrument
In the Scaling tab
under the General section,
check the box for Overlay Data Series.

Step 2)
On the chart, right click on the scale, select the instrument you want for that scale.
Correct, thanks a lot and lets continue with more than 2 symbols without playing with the mouse again and again.

sptrader

Postby sptrader » 30 Jul 2013

We need a percent change chart like TS has, it's a great feature with no studies required...no limit to the number of charts that can be overlayed...and displays the relative strength of each..

piranhaxp

Postby piranhaxp » 31 Jul 2013

Yepp .... wanting it as well .... just waited for Christmas to talk about the wish I have :) Would like to see MC would go back in the direction of needs for a serious multi-market prop trader instead of going into the direction of a "I-wish-I-would-be-a-ultraHF-trader-@-home".

So I would like to see a :

1. serious "Scanner Window" (RS)
2. serious "Price/Scale-Overlay" ... Bloomberg example would make me happy :)
3. serious "fixed Chart-Shift"
4. Being able to store data as regular symbols for synthetic contracts (spreads etc) without ASCII-Mapping

etc etc ...

Return to “MultiCharts”