Tick values on ZB incorrect with OEC data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
futurestrader019

Tick values on ZB incorrect with OEC data

Postby futurestrader019 » 30 Aug 2007

I pulled up a ZB chart today (30 yr bonds) and the tick value that is printing on the MC char with Open ECry data is incorrect.

Example - currently price is 111 26, but my MC chart is showing 111 812 - which is a non-existent price level on the ZB.

I'm guessing there's a setting somewhere that needs changed, but was unable to find it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Aug 2007

Hello,

Where did you get the value 111 26 for ZB symbol? Was it a different program? It yes, what program was it?

futurestrader019

The correct price was taken directly from the OEC dom and chart at the time. So on the OEC side, price was being reported correctly on their end but when it came over to MC, something happened.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Aug 2007

When data is received in MC it is not changed. We show it the way data sources feed this data.

The difference you are talking about is due to different representaiton of prices. For futures different formats of price value representation are possible.

For example, we just ran tests for ZB in eSignal's original plotting program. The program has a symbol monitor window with the Decimal Display box. When unchecked it showed the values comparable to the one you referred to as correct. When the Decimal Display box was checked the values were like the ones displayed in MultiCharts.

Thus, the difference is prices is solely the matter of different representation formats.

futurestrader019

So the question is, how do you alter the setting(s) in MC so price is correct? In other words, I'd like my charts to reflect the actual prices that are being traded in real-time on real dom's. I understand the concept here, but that's of no use if the 'real' prices are not being displayed.

As you said, this is easily changed in eSignal, so is that easy fix available in MC?

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 30 Aug 2007

Marina wrote >

"When data is received in MC it is not changed. We show it the way data sources feed this data."

That is weird as many have complained that MC is NOT able to chart US Bond prices in the correct format,which is in the fractional format of '32nds'.

It is not only Bonds,other contracts are also priced in fractions.

This has been promised for two years now,and even Andrew K of your staff mentioned not too long ago that this feature would be forthcoming in a later release!

As far as which is the CORRECT display of price,I would go with what the contract calls for and what the exchanges transmit.

Like the original poster asked,where is that secret switch in MC to display the correct fractional format?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Aug 2007

At the moment fractions (like 1/32) are not supported in MultiCharts. We show decimal values. For example, for the symbol in question (ZB) the value 111 21 (111 21/32) is displayed as 111.66

As for when this representation will be supported, the rough estimate our engineers gave me was October/November.

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 03 Sep 2007

Thank you Marina, and to clarify, what you originally posted was in error, at least for the data sources I am familiar with.
(including IB)

you wrote -

When data is received in MC it is not changed. We show it the way data sources feed this data.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Sep 2007

Hello,

Could you please clarify what you thing was wrong in that statement? In what way do you think MC changes data from IB?

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 03 Sep 2007

Marina wrote -
Hello,

Could you please clarify what you thing was wrong in that statement? In what way do you think MC changes data from IB?
Please check your IB screen for the electronic US Bonds symbol ZB,you will find it shown with the fractional '32nds'.

The CBOT exchange relays that this contract's price quote is as follows -
" Points ($1,000) and thirty-seconds of a point; for example, 80-16 equals 80 16/32"

Here is a page from their site -
http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detai ... 31,00.html

This subject is getting too ridiculous for me to continue discussing it.
Like mentioned earlier,this particular problem has been hashed back and forth for two years or so..

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Sep 2007

Marina wrote -
Hello,

Please check your IB screen for the electronic US Bonds symbol ZB,you will find it shown with the fractional '32nds'.

The CBOT exchange relays that this contract's price quote is as follows -
" Points ($1,000) and thirty-seconds of a point; for example, 80-16 equals 80 16/32"

Here is a page from their site -
http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/cont_detai ... 31,00.html

This subject is getting too ridiculous for me to continue discussing it.
Like mentioned earlier,this particular problem has been hashed back and forth for two years or so..
Hello,

I did check the link. However, the information on the page does not prove that we change the data received from the providers. The issue of price fluctuations equalling multiples of 1/32 is just a matter of data representation.

I hope you do not think that data vendors send price values as 1/32 fractions. In fact, DATA VENDORS send us the data in DECIMAL format, e.g. 111.78250. To display it as a fraction the following operation needs to be implemented in MC:
0.78250 X 32 = 25.04.
After this calculation has been done the price value can be displayed as a multiple of 1/32. In our case -
111 25/32 or 111 25.

In other words, MC does not change data received from data vendors.

At the moment, the above operation (on transforming decimal values into fractional) is not supported in MC, but we are working on this feature.

Return to “MultiCharts”