MCActiveX.exe from time to time uses up all the CPU 100%

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

MCActiveX.exe from time to time uses up all the CPU 100%

Postby 2haerim » 05 Sep 2007

Hi TSS and all MC users,

I would like to share this problem with all you guys because I want this to be fixed ASAP. I am trying to find a pattern to reproduce it but failed. So I am posting this message to gather other people's opinions.

This phenomenon has been always with MCActiveX since the very early version of MC. At least it dates back to more than a year as far as I remember.

Unfortunately it is not easy to reproduce this CPU 100% problem. But the fact is that it happens from time to time.

I guess this is one of the most intriguing and floating bugs not fixed easily.

Today, I started MC at 11:55AM, and open a 1 tick chart specifing the date from 2007/09/06 to 2007/09/06. That is, just for today only.

Since the market opened at 9:00AM, there were more than 20,000 ticks accumulated on the datafeed server at that time.

So MC starts to request the missing ticks from 09:00AM to 11:55AM.

The datafeed sends the requested ticks and MC's tick gauge becomes red showing increasing # of ticks. I saw the red gauge accumulates up to almost 18,000 or more. In normal case, this should not happen.

It seemed that MC did not receive any ticks from MCActiveX but just keep accumulating somehow.

Then I opened the Task Manager and MCActiveX was using up the CPU more than 95%. The CPU usage icon turned completely into just light green meanig CPU 100%. Naturally MC did not respond at all.

It took several minutes for the red gauge to finally get down to 0/0, but the chart was being kept frozen and not responding at all.

Now, it is 12:22PM and MCActiveX is still using up all the CPU and MC does not respond. Definitely MCActiveX has fallen into infinite loop, I think.

As far as I remember, this happened many times, but not always though, when I open a tick chart which would download lots of ticks, say, 20,000 ~ 40,000 ticks for one day.

I described what I experienced as detail as possible.

If anybody has been experiencing this type of problem, please share your experiences here. That way TSS would be able to fix this problem. TSS would need a pattern to reproduce the same CPU 100% problem on their developers' PCs.

I hope TSS would get triggered by this post about finding the solution.

Thanks for reading

HaeRim from InvestWare
Last edited by 2haerim on 06 Sep 2007, edited 1 time in total.

2haerim

Finally, I can reproduce it after lots of experiments

Postby 2haerim » 06 Sep 2007

Below was done from two PCs and showed the same MCActiveX CPU 100% problems.

1. Open QM and insert a new symbol.
2. Open MC and plot 1 tick chart for the above symbol. Note that this symbol should have lots of ticks for today at the time of chart opening. For example, I had 40,000 ticks or so for today only from 09:00AM to 02::00PM.
3. The MC tick count gauge will stiffly go high showing almost 40,000/... and turn red.
4. That's it! After quite time, the counter will get down to 0/0, but MCActiveX will keep looping indefinitely using up all the CPU, and it also eats up memory by 4KB units.

Check this please to see if this happens on any other people's PC too.

HaeRim from InvestWare

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 06 Sep 2007

Hello Haerim,

This situation is not normal.

Could you please contact us? We need to have a look at the problem via HelpDesk.

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 11 Sep 2007

Has there been any progress on this problem Marina?

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Sep 2007

Not yet, but I will post the answer as soon as we have the results.

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Sep 2007

Marina:

I encounter high cpu usage as well.

I have done the following tests:

1. 1xmc, 1xwsp, 1x symbol with volume and color bar -- no problem

2. as #1, with 47x MA of different lengths -- no problem

3. 1 symbol with 3 of jerry's indicators -- problem -- the CPU shot up to 95~100%

Pls check to see if Jerry's indicators are the culprit.

Marina Pashkova

Re: Finally, I can reproduce it after lots of experiments

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Sep 2007

Below was done from two PCs and showed the same MCActiveX CPU 100% problems.

1. Open QM and insert a new symbol.
2. Open MC and plot 1 tick chart for the above symbol. Note that this symbol should have lots of ticks for today at the time of chart opening. For example, I had 40,000 ticks or so for today only from 09:00AM to 02::00PM.
3. The MC tick count gauge will stiffly go high showing almost 40,000/... and turn red.
4. That's it! After quite time, the counter will get down to 0/0, but MCActiveX will keep looping indefinitely using up all the CPU, and it also eats up memory by 4KB units.

Check this please to see if this happens on any other people's PC too.

HaeRim from InvestWare
Your problem was caused by the wrong usage of dll

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 12 Sep 2007

Marina:

I encounter high cpu usage as well.

I have done the following tests:

1. 1xmc, 1xwsp, 1x symbol with volume and color bar -- no problem

2. as #1, with 47x MA of different lengths -- no problem

3. 1 symbol with 3 of jerry's indicators -- problem -- the CPU shot up to 95~100%

Pls check to see if Jerry's indicators are the culprit.
Could you please contact us through LiveChat? We would like to have a look at the problem via HelpDesk.

In the case described by Haerim the problem was caused by his using incorrect dll.

Since the situation of CPU 100% usage is not normal there must be something in your particular environment causing the problem and we need to have a look at it via HelpDesk.

Return to “MultiCharts”