Writing a Data Source DLL for MC

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
dupl

Writing a Data Source DLL for MC

Postby dupl » 08 Oct 2007

Hello,
how can a Data Source DLL for MC could be programmed? Is this possible?
E.g. if a customer receives realtime data in a VB programm, what/how to do/programm to send this data to MC?

Thanks

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Oct 2007

Hi,

If you are a programmer you could write such a dll. SDK providing the necessary info costs $4995.

Regards.

dupl

Postby dupl » 09 Oct 2007

Hello,
I am not a programmer. And i was not thinking that this is a business (SDK providing the necessary info costs $4995.)

Could it not possible for TSS to offer an "universal activeX" instead/coevally of "universal DDE"?

DDE is from old days and if you write here:
Occasionally, there are cases when Universal DDE with Excel is quite unstable.
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=3431

I think it would nice, you offer a more reliable/universal way to connect data sources from customer (unsupported) whatever applications...
Like an ActiveX controll for Visual Studio...

It is sad that, like you sad: Occasionally, there are cases when Universal DDE with Excel is quite unstable. :cry:

I am not a programmer, only newbie skills in VBA/VB, but it could not so huge, to do a VBA module whatever to receive on a more stable way (than Universal DDE) realtime data from e.g. Excel in MC?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Oct 2007

Hello,

The reason why we charge for the SDK is that the past experience has shown that our expenses related to supporting those data sources are too high to afford.

As for ActiveX, unfortunately, is not available at this point.

Regards.

dupl

Postby dupl » 10 Oct 2007

But than I don't understand why you don't give a "open source" SDK, to the programmers?
If there where programmers which can do e.g. interfaces for data sources you can not support because your expenses for them are too high, than you (MC) would benefit from the programmers who can use an "open source" SDK/interfaces. Or not, is it too naive? I am not a programmer!

What do think the programmers?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Oct 2007

To have an open source SDK the product needs to be open-source as well.

On the other hand, the current documentation on the SDK is not exhaustive. If a programmer decided to write a dll using the SDK that would involve a lot of interaction with our programmers - which would cost us a lot of money. Either writing the exhaustive documentation for the SDK or spending our developers' time on interaction with the independent programmers would be too costly to make business sense. That is why we have chosen to charge for SDK - to pay for all the efforts on our end to help whoever would be writing a dll.

Return to “MultiCharts”