“how do I fix a price spike in multicharts”  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

“how do I fix a price spike in multicharts”

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Sep 2013

Hi,

I just did both a google search and also a wiki search “how do I fix a price spike in multicharts” and was not able to quickly get the answer. Here is the problem. The SPY has an extremely large spike in the 1 minute bars causing the chart to go completely flat and thus it is useless for today's trading day. So I have a need for the very first time to go in and adjust the data. I am assuming this is done with the quote manager. As I am writing this I an wondering what sort of wiki search would be used to find this procedure. "edit data" is the first search string that comes to mind.

Anyway, I remember an old thread I created where I suggested a feature for multicahrts. It was a method where the user would place the cursor over the bar and press a button and MC would either immediately fix the spike or the user would get a menu of options as to how they want to adjust it and after choosing one of the options it is done. My thinking is that I do not feel that comfortable with MC automatically fixing these spikes under the hood without my knowing they are there. It is a compromise idea of "keeping the user aware of the spikes but making it extremely easy for them to fix them if they choose to do the fix". Along this line of thinking one of the menu options could be to take them directly to a form where they could see the raw data and fix it manually rather than having to go through the quote manager menus. Maybe cut keys ctrl+alt+shift+D (d for data) could bring up the spike fixing menu or maybe the user would place the cursor over the spike and right click to see a right click menu where this spike fixing option would be listed. Another idea for this menu (if there are multiple algorithms for fixing the spike) would be to be able to try each algorithm in sequence to see what the fix looked like and to have a reset option so the user could do a reset and then do it manually. If course if a menu is used it would need to float so the user could pull it out of the way and see the impact of each algorithm on the spike. The original data may need to be stored internally so that the user can jump back and forth between algorithms if they wish without having to press reset each time.

Anyway, the original thread that contained this idea had some information from Henry about the latest MC fixing these spikes automatically (link below). There was another post on how I can upgrade to the latest MC using a registry entry which is needed if one is still running XP (link below). I will have to try the upgrade today I guess (Sometimes when we are busy we put things off until we are forced to do it). If it does not work or if it messes up the regular 8:30 economic spikes I guess I will have to fix the data manually and I will report back. I will probably report back either way. Lets see what happens.

Earlier concern about SPY spikes and the fast method of fixing them.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22164&p=72644&hilit ... ike#p72615

How to upgrade without using MS Net Framework which is needed for volume profile
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16339&p=69480#p69452

Thanks,
John

bowlesj3

Re: “how do I fix a price spike in multicharts”  [SOLVED]

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Sep 2013

I found the quote manager update (Edit, Edit data) and fixed the spike manually. I clicked okay and nothing happened so I clicked the MC (view, reload, reload 1 day back) and the spike was fixed. I went back to the quote manager and checked the exact time I had fixed to see if it was the same value as I chose and it was the same so I guess I did it correctly (meaning the reload was needed to obtain my fixed value). I also checked the MC status line for that bar to see the open/high/low/close and they match up with my chosen fix for the high of that bar. Okay so if the assumption that a reload is needed is correct then my ideas above for a much faster method of fixing spikes would need to include a reload button on the menu of algorithm options for fixing a spike. Maybe the user's choice of an algorithm to fix the spike could automatically kick off the appropriate reload.

I had to go back and fix this spike on the 10 second bars by the way by choosing the tick data for the fix rather than the minute data. So I think my menu idea is a pretty good one. My algorithm was make the high equal to the highest of open,low,close. However the 10 second bars was different. I had to make it match the 1 minute bars. So maybe this could be programmed as part of my idea (the user fixes the larger bar size and the program automatically fixes the smaller bar sizes appropriately saving even more time while at the same time still allowing the user to decide if the supposed spike should be fixed).

Anyway, if anyone thinks thinks this idea for fixing spikes is a good idea let me know and I will create a PM entry for it. So far I have just put up with the fairly minor SPY spikes. I will have to try and upgrade MC this weekend on Friday to see what that option provides. As I said, if the 8:30 economic spikes are still okay maybe that is the best way. My concern is I do not trust the auto programming to get these economic spikes correct. Not being fully automated (as I will never be) I would prefer to select the bar, right click, choose an option and continue on with the trading day. The only other idea would be to have the spikes fixed fully automatically but the user could choose to have the economic times bypassed allowing the user to use the ideas I have above during those times if required.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: “how do I fix a price spike in multicharts”

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 22 Oct 2013

Hello John.

The fix method depends on the source of the spike.
If it happens on historical data then you can do one of the following:
1) Reload the chart. Reloading data is requesting the data from the data provider servers and overwriting it into the database. If the spike was fixed by datafeed on its servers-it will be replaced with a correct bar in MultiCharts upon reload.
2) Edit data. First of all close all of the charts in MultiCharts.
Then start the Quote Manager.
Clear cache for the symbol with spike (right click on it->Clear Cache).
Go to edit data. Change the erroneous line to the approximately correct value (in this case the bar won't be downloaded from datafeed and won't be replaced if it is still incorrect).
Close the QuoteManager, run Multicharts and build the chart with the desired symbol.
Now the spike should be gone.

*Please keep in mind that these options are mutually exclusive, you need to use one or the other.

As for the realtime spikes - most of them should be already filtered on the latest version of MultiCharts with the option "Generate new tick if total volume changes" enabled in QuoteManager. If you still have spikes on the latest version of MultiCharts - please come to our live chat 6.30 am - 4 pm EST to demonstrate it.

bowlesj3

Re: “how do I fix a price spike in multicharts”

Postby bowlesj3 » 22 Oct 2013

Thanks Henry,

By the way, your timing is perfect. I was planning on looking for the link to the info about disabling "MS Net Framework" which is at the top of this thread (also copied below) so I can upgrade to the latest MultiCharts this weekend (still using XP with 3 gig of ram).

How to upgrade without using MS Net Framework which is needed for volume profile
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16339&p=69480#p69452

John

Return to “MultiCharts”