Data Feed that allows Simulated Trading

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
brunor

Data Feed that allows Simulated Trading

Postby brunor » 17 Sep 2013

Is there a data feed that offers e-mini futures simulated trading with MC 8.7?
I would prefer to not use a broker for now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Data Feed that allows Simulated Trading

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Sep 2013

Hello brunor,

The only prebuilt simulator we have at the moment is for Zenfire/Rithmic feed. If you have Zenfire/Rithmic data then you can use Zenfire or Rithmic local sim to simulate trading. We are going to implement a prebuilt simulation mode for the other supported data providers in one of the future versions of MultiCharts. There is no ETA for this feature yet.

AntiMatter

Postby AntiMatter » 26 Sep 2013

If you open an account with Interactive Brokers, then you can also get a demo trading account. Then connect MC to the demo account, and trade exactly like you would with a real IB account. If you have a real IB account running on the same account, then all your subscribed datafeeds will also be available through the demo account.

You could also try the IB public demo account, User Name: edemo Password: demouser; I think this must be simulated data however.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2013

If you open an account with Interactive Brokers, then you can also get a demo trading account. Then connect MC to the demo account, and trade exactly like you would with a real IB account. If you have a real IB account running on the same account, then all your subscribed datafeeds will also be available through the demo account.
You could also try the IB public demo account, User Name: edemo Password: demouser; I think this must be simulated data however.
You are talking about 2 different things... let me clarify the names:

1. For IB customers: you can get a Paper Trading Account (not demo acct) that operates exactly like your real account. It streams real time data, and you can "trade" with provided paper money.

2. For everybody: you can use the Demo Account. No registration is required. It processes your order just like a real account, but it streams old data only.

brunor

Postby brunor » 26 Sep 2013

Thank you all for your responses.

br

janus

Postby janus » 26 Sep 2013

2. For everybody: you can use the Demo Account. No registration is required. It processes your order just like a real account, but it streams old data only.
Also, it's only meant for manual trading to become familiar with TWS. It's broken when used with automatic trading systems like MC, at least the last time I used it some two years ago. I think IB do this deliberately to stop it being flooded and overloaded by too many traders who want to just "play" the markets but have no real intention of trading for real. If this is still the case, then one has to open up an account with IB and use the paper trading account to test strategies with MC.

TJ

Postby TJ » 26 Sep 2013

Also, it's only meant for manual trading to become familiar with TWS. It's broken when used with automatic trading systems like MC, at least the last time I used it some two years ago. I think IB do this deliberately to stop it being flooded and overloaded by too many traders who want to just "play" the markets but have no real intention of trading for real. If this is still the case, then one has to open up an account with IB and use the paper trading account to test strategies with MC.
The demo system works with MultiCharts' autotrade with no problem. I often use it to test order triggering logics.

I doubt IB needs to handicap it. There is no continuity in data, you can't use it for anything other than a quick test of the account functions and operations.

janus

Postby janus » 26 Sep 2013

That's good to know. I definitely had major issues a couple of years ago. Perhaps they changed their mind, or it wasn't kept up-to-date. The problem I had was it would work for one or two trades then stop. This is despite the fact it was working fine with the simulation account.

Return to “MultiCharts”