Auto Trading Overnight  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tony

Auto Trading Overnight

Postby tony » 20 Sep 2013

I am auto-trading using IB as the broker. I have TWS set to log out in the morning so it won't impact overnight trading. But I noticed recently that even though TWS was connected and auto-trading was on (green SA in top left of work station) that no trades were taken even though they should have triggered per conditional statements being met. In the morning IB was prompting me to accept incoming request from MC (not verbatim, but the same message you randomly get when turning on auto-trading).

So the question is, why was IB asking at a random time for permission to connect with MC? Is there a connection in MC I may have missed?

Thank You -

TJ

Re: Auto Trading Overnight

Postby TJ » 20 Sep 2013

I am auto-trading using IB as the broker. I have TWS set to log out in the morning so it won't impact overnight trading. But I noticed recently that even though TWS was connected and auto-trading was on (green SA in top left of work station) that no trades were taken even though they should have triggered per conditional statements being met. In the morning IB was prompting me to accept incoming request from MC (not verbatim, but the same message you randomly get when turning on auto-trading).
So the question is, why was IB asking at a random time for permission to connect with MC? Is there a connection in MC I may have missed?
Thank You -
Please make a screen shot of the message.

tony

Postby tony » 20 Sep 2013

That has nothing to do with what I am asking though. If you have auto-traded with IB the message I got was requesting access to IB from MC or vice versa. It happens periodically. What I was trying to understand is why auto-trading did not work during the overnight session even though conditionals were met to trigger trades, IB was connected and auto-trading was on.

JoshM

Re: Auto Trading Overnight  [SOLVED]

Postby JoshM » 20 Sep 2013

(...)
Three things can be relevant here:

1) There's a daily server reset (see here) for certain times. This might intervene with the moment your signals are generated.

2) Auto trading is terminated if there is a disconnect that exceeds a pre-set time limit (see last bullet point here). (I'm not sure if it's relevant, since you have a green SA, but I mention it here since it could be related). This option can be changed in the automated trading settings.

3) Most likely however, if that there are no trades taken because the 'accept incoming connection' prompt is not accepted (i.e. MultiCharts is waiting on TWS) and which prevents a successful reconnection. This probably happens in combination with point 1 above, but this also will prevent a reconnection at random times when there is a temporary disconnect.

If you add your computer's IP address to TWS' trusted IP addresses, you won't get that prompt (see here and here) and MultiCharts will automatically reconnect successfully.

tony

Postby tony » 21 Sep 2013

Thanks Josh. I'll give it a try Sunday night. So if I understand you correctly you can prevent the request from IB to allow MC to connect by following the suggestion(s) you listed.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 21 Sep 2013

So if I understand you correctly you can prevent the request from IB to allow MC to connect by following the suggestion(s) you listed.
That's right; if the IP address of the computer is added to TWS' trusted addresses, that pop-up of "accept incoming connection from ...." will not occur (it goes automatically then).

Good luck & let us know if this solves your problem.

tony

Postby tony » 21 Sep 2013

So if I understand you correctly you can prevent the request from IB to allow MC to connect by following the suggestion(s) you listed.
That's right; if the IP address of the computer is added to TWS' trusted addresses, that pop-up of "accept incoming connection from ...." will not occur (it goes automatically then).

Good luck & let us know if this solves your problem.
That would be fantastic. I'll give it a try Sunday night. I appreciate the help Josh!

janus

Postby janus » 21 Sep 2013

Also note you don't have to use the specific ip-address; 127.0.0.1 is sufficient.

tony

Postby tony » 22 Sep 2013

Also note you don't have to use the specific ip-address; 127.0.0.1 is sufficient.
Thank you Janus...

tony

Postby tony » 23 Sep 2013

The suggestions in this topic worked last night. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Return to “MultiCharts”