File size limit of Quote Manager export file?  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
seneca

File size limit of Quote Manager export file?

Postby seneca » 21 Sep 2013

Is there a size limit for the Quote Manager export file? I regularly get an error message "unable to write temporary file" when trying to save all instruments including data. The last successfully created export file is 3.3 GB in size, so I wonder if there is an issue when the file exceeds a specific size. There are definitively no issues with my hardware ressources.
Last edited by seneca on 27 Sep 2013, edited 2 times in total.

Henry MultiСharts

Re: File size limit of Quote Manager export file?

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 26 Sep 2013

Hello seneca,

There is no file size limit for the QuoteManager QMD data export file.

What is the file system on the drive you are using for export? Is it NTFS or FAT32? Please keep in mind that the maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte or 4,294,967,295 bytes.

Please make sure you have enough free space for the export file on the target drive.
Also make sure you have enough free space on the drive where your system TEMP folder is located (during the export process you can monitor the available free space).

seneca

Postby seneca » 26 Sep 2013

Hello Henry,

my system drive, which is also the target drive for the export file - I don't use separate system/data drives or RAID since I prefer things to be as simple as possible - is an SSD with NTFS file system with over 50 GB of free memory. So from my understanding, there shouldn't be any issues due to lacking memory space? I could try if the issue persists when the file is exported to an external drive instead.

seneca

Postby seneca » 27 Sep 2013

Changing the target to an external, empty 512 GB drive (NTFS) does not help; I still get an error message, as attached.
Attachments
error message.png
(52.76 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times

ABC

Postby ABC » 28 Sep 2013

seneca,
you are not alone with this. I can't export my database in one go without running into this error either. Several others I talked to have the same issue. What helps is exporting the database in chunks. Start with half of the symbols or a quarter and if the error pops up, decrease the amount of symbols.
Here are some more infos for this:
http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... 084#p93084

Regards,
ABC

seneca

Postby seneca » 29 Sep 2013

seneca,
you are not alone with this. I can't export my database in one go without running into this error either. Several others I talked to have the same issue. What helps is exporting the database in chunks. Start with half of the symbols or a quarter and if the error pops up, decrease the amount of symbols.
Here are some more infos for this:
http://www.multicharts.com/discussion/v ... 084#p93084

Regards,
ABC
I managed to export the database, when I divide it into five chunks. Not the very best solution, in my humble opinion...

ABC

Postby ABC » 29 Sep 2013

I managed to export the database, when I divide it into five chunks. Not the very best solution, in my humble opinion...
I totally agree. Maybe the export can be modified, so that Multicharts doesn't extract all data in one go to export it and compresses everything again only in the end, but does it automatically symbol by symbol.

Regards,
ABC

seneca

Postby seneca » 02 Oct 2013

I totally agree. Maybe the export can be modified, so that Multicharts doesn't extract all data in one go to export it and compresses everything again only in the end, but does it automatically symbol by symbol.
Right.
@Henry, can you reproduce this issue and are there any plans to release a fix?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 03 Oct 2013

Changing the target to an external, empty 512 GB drive (NTFS) does not help; I still get an error message, as attached.
Target drive may not be the issue. There can be not enough space on your system drive for a temp file.
1) Please monitor the available free space during the export process.
2) What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About)
3) What is the size of your databases folder? How to find your databases folder
4) Please compress to zip your databases folder, upload it to any file sharing hosting and send me the download link to support@multicharts.com We will study your databases on our end.

TJ

Postby TJ » 03 Oct 2013

make sure you are running the programs as Administrator.

seneca

Re: File size limit of Quote Manager export file?  [SOLVED]

Postby seneca » 04 Oct 2013

Target drive may not be the issue. There can be not enough space on your system drive for a temp file.
my system drive, which is also the target drive for the export file....is an SSD with NTFS file system with over 50 GB of free memory
I'm running the lastest beta version. The size of the databases folder is 952 MB.
make sure you are running the programs as Administrator.
I do run MC as admin.

After running this fix http://www.multicharts.com/trading-soft ... abase_Size I was actually able to export the database in one run. So as of now the issue seems to be fixed at my end.

Return to “MultiCharts”