Vote for new feature: Have MC be centered when zooming out

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arjfca

Vote for new feature: Have MC be centered when zooming out

Postby arjfca » 26 Sep 2013

Hello
I post a new request for MC charting when zooming out over a given target

When I spot an area of interest in a higher time frame, I often scroll down to a lower time frame to see how did the price did react in the area. When changing the scale, we lost the area and we need to scroll back again to it

My idea is to have a way to mark down the area and have MC re-centered the chart with a lower scale in the middle of the targeted area. Like that, we will be always in the region of interest without having to search for it

Vote for it if you you think it could be helpful

Martin
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1477

bowlesj3

Re: Vote for new feature: Have MC be centered when zooming o

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Sep 2013

I was not sure what you meant Martin so I tried a few things.
1/ I used the zoom feature and it zooms perfectly centered with the proper scale.
2/ After doing the zoom I squeezed the scale and it lines up perfectly.
3/ I zoomed back out and the chart goes directly back where it was before (nothing to search for)
3/ I tried the cursor tracking, clicking on a 1 minute bar and the 10 second bars center exactly.

Maybe this is what you are referring to:
If you are referring to changing the spacing between bars, if your chart is far right it holds the right side and pushes bars off to the left. If the bars on the right can not be seen then it holds the left side and pushes bars off to the right. As always it is a major mistake for the MC staff to program something new and loose an old feature so they do not want to do that. So to hold a specific bar in view while spacing or shrinking bar spacing the cursor would need to be right clicked on the desired bar for centering then held down while the user used their other hand to press (ctrl and +) or (ctrl and -) to adjust the spacing. That is not a bad idea but it does take a bit of practice. However if a user does it often it will become 2nd nature I am sure.

arjfca

I was not sure what you meant Martin so I tried a few things.
1/ I used the zoom feature and it zooms perfectly centered with the proper scale.
2/ After doing the zoom I squeezed the scale and it lines up perfectly.
3/ I zoomed back out and the chart goes directly back where it was before (nothing to search for)
3/ I tried the cursor tracking, clicking on a 1 minute bar and the 10 second bars center exactly.

Maybe this is what you are referring to:
If you are referring to changing the spacing between bars, if your chart is far right it holds the right side and pushes bars off to the left. If the bars on the right can not be seen then it holds the left side and pushes bars off to the right. As always it is a major mistake for the MC staff to program something new and loose an old feature so they do not want to do that. So to hold a specific bar in view while spacing or shrinking bar spacing the cursor would need to be right clicked on the desired bar for centering then held down while the user used their other hand to press (ctrl and +) or (ctrl and -) to adjust the spacing. That is not a bad idea but it does take a bit of practice. However if a user does it often it will become 2nd nature I am sure.
Hello John

My English ,,,, not good sometime so I forgot detail..

What I mean is when I zoom using another time scale. Seeing inside of a daily bar. There is many 5 minutes bars that is include in a day. Now, If I want to pinpoint how did a bars react at a precise price, I need to scroll down from day/4h/1h/15m/5min and sometime up to the minute or tick bars.

Now, you may understand what I'm asking

Martin :)

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Sep 2013

Hi Martin,

Do you mean that you are scrolling down but only have one chart to work with when you do this? In other words you are changing the bar size within that once chart. I can see why this would be hard.

In my case I have these charts (daily, 60 minute, 30 minute, 15 minute, 10 minute, 5 minute, 1 minute and 10 second). They are all visible because I have three monitors. I use cursor tracking (both price and time). So I just have to click on any chart and all the charts below that will perfectly center where I click. This happens basically instantly. I get a cross hair on all the charts all at the same time and I can see a perfect line up on all of them at the same time (well where ever I jump my eyes too which is pretty fast - LOL).

John

arjfca

Hi Martin,

Do you mean that you are scrolling down but only have one chart to work with when you do this? In other words you are changing the bar size within that once chart. I can see why this would be hard.

In my case I have these charts (daily, 60 minute, 30 minute, 15 minute, 10 minute, 5 minute, 1 minute and 10 second). They are all visible because I have three monitors. I use cursor tracking (both price and time). So I just have to click on any chart and all the charts below that will perfectly center where I click. This happens basically instantly. I get a cross hair on all the charts all at the same time and I can see a perfect line up on all of them at the same time (well where ever I jump my eyes too which is pretty fast - LOL).

John
I got 4 monitors, sometime the same instrument is display on separate screen with separate time scale, but If I pinpoint an area, is is not reflected to the others. So same problem when go back few days or week in time.

What is your cursor tracking? Look interesting. That may be an in between solution.

Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Sep 2013

I think cursor tracking is probably your permanent solution unless you have 2 symbols on 1 chart (not sure what happens in that situation). Cursor tracking as I call it is set up like this.

View menu, click "show cross"
(this shows the cross hair at all times for time and price)

View menu, tracking settings, track time and price
(this causes the cross hair to appear on all charts at the same time - not just at your cursor)
(the vertical line is your time tracking and the horizontal line is your price tracking)

The price tracking will only appear if you have the same symbol on all charts. For example, I have the SPY on the 1 minute bars and the 10 second bars but have the parallel symbol (the ES - E-mini) on all the higher bar size charts. So if my cursor is moving around the 1 minute bars all charts will show the time tracking line but the price tracking line will only show on the charts with the SPY (1 minute bars and 10 second bars). If my cursor is on a chart with the E-mini symbol all those charts will show the price tracking and the SPY symbol charts will not have the price tracking. Again all charts have the time tracking where the vertical line is used to see the time line-up.

So this is ideal. You can see the time and price line-up on all charts at the same time with not need to click and hold the right mouse button down. If you want to hide the lines just put the cursor in the price scale area. The other good thing is the time tracking extends down into your sub-charts.

I do not understand how anyone can live without this. Without this feature I may even consider a different product. I take it for granted as an absolutely necessary basic feature. Even Q-Charts had this feature and it is nothing compared to MC.

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 27 Sep 2013

I think cursor tracking is probably your permanent solution unless you have 2 symbols on 1 chart (not sure what happens in that situation). Cursor tracking as I call it is set up like this.

(this causes the cross hair to appear on all charts at the same time)
(the vertical line is your time tracking and the horizontal line is your price tracking)

The price tracking will only appear if you have the same symbol on all charts. For example, I have the SPY on the 1 minute bars and the 10 second bars but have the parallel symbol (the ES - E-mini) on all the higher bar size charts. So if my cursor is moving around the 1 minute bars all charts will show the time tracking line but the price tracking line will only show on the charts with the SPY (1 minute bars and 10 second bars). If my cursor is on a chart with the E-mini symbol all those charts will show the price tracking and the SPY symbol charts will not have the price tracking. Again all charts have the time tracking where the vertical line is used to see the time line-up.

So this is ideal. You can see the time and price line-up on all charts at the same time with not need to click and hold the right mouse button down. If you want to hide the lines just put the cursor in the price scale area. The other good thing is the time tracking extends down into your sub-charts.

Final comment. I do not understand how anyone can live without this. I would go crazy without this feature and may even consider a different product. I take it for granted as an absolutely necessary basic feature (even Q-Charts has this feature and it is nothing compared to MC).

John, This doesn't seem to work for me

2 MC instance opened
Eur.Usd 4H scale
Eur.Usd daily

Both hair cross display ( normal for me)
Both Tracking ( time & price)
This setup was already in place wen I look at it

Both data start at September 01 2012

Moving my mouse over a chart doesn't affect what is seen on the other one
I did close all other workspace,

Maybe I don't know what to look for or don't understand how it should work

Have a good day
Martin

arjfca

Postby arjfca » 27 Sep 2013

(this causes the cross hair to appear on all charts at the same time)

Final comment. I do not understand how anyone can live without this. I would go crazy without this feature and may even consider a different product. I take it for granted as an absolutely necessary basic feature (even Q-Charts has this feature and it is nothing compared to MC).

John, This doesn't seem to work for me

2 MC instance opened
Eur.Usd 4H scale
Eur.Usd daily

Both hair cross display ( normal for me)
Both Tracking ( time & price)
This setup was already in place wen I look at it

Both data start at September 01 2012

Moving my mouse over a chart doesn't affect what is seen on the other one
I did close all other workspace,

Maybe I don't know what to look for or don't understand how it should work

Have a good day
Martin

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Sep 2013

2 MC instance opened
Do you mean by this two work spaces. I do not think the tracking of price and time works across work spaces. It certainly will not work if you have two actual instances of the program running. In order to see things across workspaces or across instances you would have to have a study that puts out a line on all charts in all workspaces and it would detect if you moved one of them anywhere and it would go back and update all the others to match. It is doable for sure but a lot of work.
AGAINST IT TILL OTHER SERIOUS ISSUES ARE NOT FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am assuming you meant "AGAINST IT until all or most other serious issues are fixed"

This is why I wish the PM system had a way to vote for and against a feature. For example, never will use it, against it until more serious issues are fixed, whatever.

Return to “MultiCharts”