ASCII Data not consistantly plotting

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Aston01

ASCII Data not consistantly plotting

Postby Aston01 » 31 Oct 2013

I have been working with a lot of ASCII imported data lately, and I am not sure why, but I have run into some issues getting the data plotted consistently. Its the oddest thing and I am not completely sure what the issue is but I import the data as usual, receive confirmation, create a chart, and then ...nothing plots.
Attachments
Data Import Window.PNG
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Data Import Confirm.PNG
(10.49 KiB) Downloaded 953 times
Data Import.PNG
(43.6 KiB) Downloaded 948 times

Henry MultiСharts

Re: ASCII Data not consistantly plotting

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 31 Oct 2013

Hello Aston01,

With 1 tick data that is possible to plot only tick based chart resolutions.
Please go to Format->Instrument->Settings tab.
Set the chart resolution to 1 tick and data range From 10/1/2012 To 9/20/2013.

If you want to build a minute bar out of 1 tick data then you can add a Universal DDE instrument (QuoteManager->Instrument->Manually) and import your ASCII data into it.

Aston01

Hi Henry,

I figured tick data was the most granular of the options and there for every other resolution could be derived from that. If I wanted use a single source of data for a particular symbol what would be the most effective work flow for this?

Currently I map a batch of files in ASCII ... Adjust their settings to match, and then import from there.

Should I continue doing this and just convert everything to Universal DDE afterwards or is there a better way?

BTW - In reading the wiki I noticed the following and was curious if that would effect me with historical data?
Limitations
## Presently the following field types are not supported: Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Total Volume, Change

jzshen

Postby jzshen » 31 Oct 2013

Hello Aston01,

With 1 tick data that is possible to plot only tick based chart resolutions.
Please go to Format->Instrument->Settings tab.
Set the chart resolution to 1 tick and data range From 10/1/2012 To 9/20/2013.

If you want to build a minute bar out of 1 tick data then you can add a Universal DDE instrument (QuoteManager->Instrument->Manually) and import your ASCII data into it.
I have a question: Does Multicharts actually store 3 set of data (1 tick, 1 min, & 1 day) for every ticker symbol?

Henry MultiСharts

Should I continue doing this and just convert everything to Universal DDE afterwards or is there a better way?
That is the easiest way to achieve your goal.
BTW - In reading the wiki I noticed the following and was curious if that would effect me with historical data?
Limitations
## Presently the following field types are not supported: Time, Open, High, Low, Close, Total Volume, Change
This limitation is applied to realtime DDE data only. It does not affect historical data imported from a file.

Henry MultiСharts

I have a question: Does Multicharts actually store 3 set of data (1 tick, 1 min, & 1 day) for every ticker symbol?
These are the basic data resolutions that are used for building all other resolutions. Each resolution has three quote fields:Trade, Ask and Bid. I.e. that is possible to have 9 sets of data per instrument.

Aston01

Henry,

Converting to a Universal DDE seems to work just fine as long go back in afterwards and manually reimport the data from the ASCII file. Is there any reason why this would be the case even after I have gone through the "Map ASCII" process to import everything the first time before converting to a Universal DDE?

I noticed that this message was displayed in the event log ...could this have anything to do with it?
Attachments
DDE event.PNG
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 960 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 01 Nov 2013

ASCII mapping creates a link from the software to the ASCII file with data. ASCII mapping does not import data into MultiCharts database (Edit data window of QuoteManager will be empty). Each time you plot an ASCII mapping symbol-the data is taken from the file directly. That is possible to map multiple ASCII files at the same time. You do not need to create ASCII mapping instrument manually-it is created automatically upon mapping.

ASCII import is a onetime data transfer from an ASCII file into MultiCharts database. It is possible for one file at a time. The data will not be updated from the ASCII file automatically.

If you have "ASCII mapped" the files and then changed the data source for these instruments to Universal DDE then such instruments will not work. They will lose their ASCII mapping links and will not be able to plot any data, unless you import the data from the ASCII file into the instruments manually. I believe this is exactly what you were doing before:
Currently I map a batch of files in ASCII ... Adjust their settings to match, and then import from there.
Our further analysis has shown that there is indeed a better way. ASCII mapping data source is also able to build a minute bar out of 1 tick data, same way Universal DDE can do that, I am sorry for previous misinformation. I have double checked that with MC 8.7 Release & 8.8 beta 2.
That means you just need to map ASCII file with a base resolution (1 tick, 1 minute, 1 day) and then use it in MultiCharts with the correct chart data range.

janus

Postby janus » 04 Nov 2013

Our further analysis has shown that there is indeed a better way. ASCII mapping data source is also able to build a minute bar out of 1 tick data, same way Universal DDE can do that, I am sorry for previous misinformation. I have double checked that with MC 8.7 Release & 8.8 beta 2.
That means you just need to map ASCII file with a base resolution (1 tick, 1 minute, 1 day) and then use it in MultiCharts with the correct chart data range.
Yes, this works well - have been using it for several months now. The chart even updates itself each time I add to the ASCII file, although I often do a refresh just in case.

I found one problem though. If I plot a Renko and a regular 1-minute chart (either on the same worksheet or separate) and start MC again, the backfilling stages for both takes ages or hangs. Only if I remove on of them and restart MC do things work normal. If I then add the other it's fine too. Only when I start MC with both together do I have a problem.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Nov 2013

Yes, this works well - have been using it for several months now. The chart even updates itself each time I add to the ASCII file, although I often do a refresh just in case.

I found one problem though. If I plot a Renko and a regular 1-minute chart (either on the same worksheet or separate) and start MC again, the backfilling stages for both takes ages or hangs. Only if I remove on of them and restart MC do things work normal. If I then add the other it's fine too. Only when I start MC with both together do I have a problem.
janus, please send me (support@multicharts.com) the following information for further investigation:
- workspace you are using;
- in QuoteManager select the symbol you are using, make a right click on it->Export data->Export instrument. Send me the Qmd export file for analysis;
- ASCII file you are using for data;
- What exact version and build number of MultiCharts are you running? (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About).

janus

Postby janus » 04 Nov 2013

OK, I will prepare the information and send it to the specified email. Thank you for your support.

Aston01

Postby Aston01 » 11 Nov 2013

Henry,

Sorry for the delay in response...I've been out of town since my last post. I deleted all of the previously imported symbols and started fresh with the ASCII Mapping method and so far it seems to work just like I was looking for.

Question though about batch mapping... when I go to map a series of files I get a list where all of the entries are highlighted in red to start. I can set the type of instrument & exchange from the batch window just fine.

They start looking like SPY C139.00, if I change the settings in the batch mapping window they look like SPY C140.00 and if I go the extra step and open each file to manually change the resolution I can finally get a check box like SPY C141.00

I can't get a check box next to them unless I open each one of them individually and manually change the resolution. Is there something I am missing ?
Attachments
Map Resolution.PNG
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 937 times

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 11 Nov 2013

Aston01,

Do all of the files have the same format and amount of columns?
Please provide a couple of sample files so that I can have a look.

Aston01

Postby Aston01 » 11 Nov 2013

They are all formatted exactly the same the only difference really being the number of rows from file to file.

The forum says "The extension csv is not allowed" ... is there another way I can send you a couple of sample files ?

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Nov 2013

Aston01, you can zip the files and attach the archive or send it to me via email (support@multicharts.com).
Please also specify the exact version and build number of MultiCharts you are running (in MultiCharts go to Help tab-> About).

Aston01

Postby Aston01 » 12 Nov 2013

Henry,

Email sent... I went ahead and included a short screencast clip of me actually attempting to map the data.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 20 Nov 2013

Henry,

Email sent... I went ahead and included a short screencast clip of me actually attempting to map the data.
The best solution will be to eliminate the unnecessary columns of open high and low from the files.
In this case the mapping will go flawlessly automatically

Alternatively please follow this pattern to map your files (original files with 4 price columns):
1) QuoteManager->File->Map ASCII->Navigate to the folder with the files.
2) Specify Category and Exchange.
3) click in Resolution column, type in “1” and press enter, resolution will be set to 1 tick automatically. You need to do that for each symbol.
4) click on any file name to get into ASCII data import window
5) specify Price and Volume columns, make other price Columns Undefined-> click ok
6) now all files with the same contents in the ASCII mapping window should be mapped.

Return to “MultiCharts”