BetterRenko chart type

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
drjunzhao

BetterRenko chart type

Postby drjunzhao » 29 Nov 2013

Hi,

Is Renko chart type in MC the BetterRenko chart type by default as described in https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... _no=MC-501? If not, what options I need to select to set Renko to BetterRenko? Can I assume that with MC's BetterRenko, backtesting is actually with real prices as "BetterRenko" suggests?

Thanks,

Jun

Henry MultiСharts

Re: BetterRenko chart type

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 02 Dec 2013

Hello Jun,

Based on the mentioned PM entry the following options were added:
  • Show 'Phantom' Bars
  • Show Wick
  • Show Real Open
You can find more details about these options and how the strategies are calcualted on Renko charts here and here.

drjunzhao

Postby drjunzhao » 02 Dec 2013

Thank for the useful information.

It seems that when backtesting or paper trading, it always use the prices from the first brick. Sometime, many bricks are plotted at once due to large price movement (after the specified interval is passed), it should use the prices from the last brick for order generation (or P&L calculation). Is there a setup to enforce this?

Thanks,

Jun

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Dec 2013

Jun,

Are you referring to historical calculation or realtime calculation?

drjunzhao

Postby drjunzhao » 04 Dec 2013

Both historical calculation and real-time paper trading. Real-time trading seems to be working correctly. Using the setup I know does not seem to have correct back testing results.

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 04 Dec 2013

The signal is calculated on each brick in backtesting. How do you check that only the first brick is used for calculation? If the order is filled on the first brick from a set of bricks into the same direction then order fill conditions are met on it. You can try changing the order generation condition to have the order filled on the next bricks.
Please also check the following article: Intra-Bar_Order_Generation,_Bar_Magnifier_on_Non-Standard_Chart_Types

drjunzhao

Postby drjunzhao » 11 Dec 2013

This is a renko bar with 300 ticks timeframe.

Please see the attached screenshot. On the right, it is real trading, on the left it is simulated trading. Take a look at where MC places the signal entry point A in the real trading / simulated trading. As the timeframe is not 1 tick, so at the end of each timeframe (in this case, it is 300 ticks), MC plots a series of bricks (depending on the price movement, this can vary). What happens here is that MC always takes the first brick as the entry point (regardless use next bar market or this bar close order) in the simulated trading / backtesting, in real trading, it places the marker (or place the order at the last brick), that is correct. In the simulated trading, MC should also place trade at the last of bricks of the series bricks in a timeframe. This is more realistic than what MC does currently. In the simulated trading/backtesting, A should be placed at the B brick.

Not sure if there is any setup in MC that can be used to control this, if not, the current backtesting method is not really reliable as you can see from the graph attached as an example.

This is what I observed, please take a look and let me know if my observation is correct.

Thanks,

Jun
Attachments
Renko Bar Backtesting (Real vs simulated).PNG
(53.15 KiB) Downloaded 905 times

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 11 Dec 2013

Jun,

Do not back-test the MC renkos on any setting besides 1tick resolution with orders at the close of the bar.

The current implementation of these blocks do not allow a reliable test for any other setting.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 11 Dec 2013

MAtricks, backtest with renko use only four ticks (OHLC) (even with tick resolution !) that so, bar magnifier, don't work with renko and with all non regular bar !

all will work fine in renko backtest when MC team will play renko backtest with tick by tick 'calculation' !
it's the only way to have same backtest/realtime orders ...

MAtricks

But as it is, my instructions stand as the only safe way to test these bars.

drjunzhao

Postby drjunzhao » 11 Dec 2013

MAtricks, thanks for the advice. however I think it will be very useful if MC team can make "order" simulation in forward testing close to real-time trading, i.e. place order at the last brick of a brick series. In this case, one can at least forward test a strategy (more or less reliably) without having to do live-trading.

MAtricks

There is a pile of things that the MC team could do to improve the unique bar types. I was just instructing how to use them as they are.

With all the requests and complaints, I'm unsure why little has been done with this... They take such good care of us in all other requests!

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Dec 2013

Not sure if there is any setup in MC that can be used to control this, if not, the current backtesting method is not really reliable as you can see from the graph attached as an example.
Jun, there is no way to configure the current behavior.
MC should also place trade at the last of bricks of the series bricks in a timeframe. This is more realistic than what MC does currently. In the simulated trading/backtesting, A should be placed at the B brick.
This improvement has been added to our to-do list. It is targeted to MultiCharts 9.0

drjunzhao

Postby drjunzhao » 12 Dec 2013

great. thx

Return to “MultiCharts”