Sound File Issue  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
momentum

Sound File Issue

Postby momentum » 07 Dec 2013

I have recorded .wav sound files as alerts and have added them as alerts to strategies. However, they are played as "dings" by MultiCharts rather than the actual sounds I recorded. When I click directly on the file MS Windows Media Player plays them correctly. This is not a version specific issue. Is there a Default overriding the sound or is it something else? Sample upload was denied as was a 7zip version.

TJ

Re: Sound File Issue  [SOLVED]

Postby TJ » 08 Dec 2013

I have recorded .wav sound files as alerts and have added them as alerts to strategies. However, they are played as "dings" by MultiCharts rather than the actual sounds I recorded. When I click directly on the file MS Windows Media Player plays them correctly. This is not a version specific issue. Is there a Default overriding the sound or is it something else? Sample upload was denied as was a 7zip version.
Did you check the following options?

Attachments
Alert.jpg
(34.41 KiB) Downloaded 773 times

momentum

Re: Sound File Issue

Postby momentum » 08 Dec 2013

Yes. As I said, the file plays as a ding in MultiCharts but plays correctly when directly clicked on as a file. Clicking the TEST in MC provides a ding instead of, say, "emini" which was recorded.

ABC

Postby ABC » 08 Dec 2013

Depending on how many sound files you want to use within your study you can either go with TJs suggestion, but if you want to use more than one sound file you'll have to use the reserved "PlaySound" together with your alert. If I recall the process correctly you even have to disable the "Audio Alert" under the study properties in the latter case.

This would look something like this:

Code: Select all

if YourAlertDisplayed = false then
begin
YourAlertDisplayed = true;
Alert(YourAlertMessageHere);
PlaySound(YourSoundFileLocationHere);
end;
Of course YourAlertDisplayed needs to be set to false somewhere in your code again. For example when your alert conditions are met the next time.

Regards,
ABC

ABC

Postby ABC » 08 Dec 2013

This sounds like something is off on your end. If I click on Test here in MC using the location of a wav-file this file is played within MC.
Yes. As I said, the file plays as a ding in MultiCharts but plays correctly when directly clicked on as a file. Clicking the TEST in MC provides a ding instead of, say, "emini" which was recorded.

TJ

Postby TJ » 08 Dec 2013

If you click the TEST button and hear a ding instead,
that means MultiCharts could not play your file.

Either the file is in the wrong format,
or the file is in a location that MultiCharts cannot load.

Could also be a bad file name.
Did you manually type the filename in the box?
or use the [...] button? (it is next to the [TEST] button).

momentum

Re: Sound File Issue RESOLVED

Postby momentum » 08 Dec 2013

My sound files were recorded as .wav files using native Windows 7 Sound Recorder. That seems to have been the issue. I recorded new files using my phone and then used a file converter to convert them to .wav. These files worked fine.

Return to “MultiCharts”