Custom Bar Type (A user defined/scripted bar)Feature Request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MAtricks

Custom Bar Type (A user defined/scripted bar)Feature Request

Postby MAtricks » 11 Dec 2013

Please vote for this feature request here:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1552

Would the MC team be willing to create a Custom Bar where we can write our own code to formulate our own bars and it can be cached in MC much like the native bars are?

Example:

Writing our own code to create bars works well, but when we load them or test them, it takes a LONG time because each bar must be calculated each time it's loaded/tested. Also, any calculations (indicators, functions, and strategies) must be custom written for any bar types that we create. If MC implemented a Custom Bar type, calculations (indicators, functions, and strategies) should be able to work as they do with any bar type native in MC.
Last edited by MAtricks on 13 Oct 2014, edited 4 times in total.

Smoky

Re: Custom Bar Type

Postby Smoky » 11 Dec 2013

YES !!!!!

+ 100000

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 12 Dec 2013

Please submit a feature request to the Project Management of our web site so other users can vote for it: https://www.multicharts.com/pm/

All feature requests are forwarded to the management of the company and are evaluated in a timely manner. Please note that even though we value your opinion not all requests can be implemented due to the fact that some features do not fit into our current roadmap.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 12 Dec 2013

Thank you Henry.

Please vote for this feature request here:
https://www.multicharts.com/pm/viewissu ... no=MC-1552

This would remove complaints of how MC creates their unique bar types and remove the responsibility from the MC developers. I think that this would put MC a huge step ahead of most other platforms. If one took the time to scan through NT forums, TS forums, SC forums, and even our MC forums they'd notice that a large percentage of complaints are from unique bar types being unreliable. I believe that MC would bring in many more clients with this feature!

The process for a user would be similar to this:
1. Create a bar calculation in the Power Language Editor
2. Create a chart, Format Instrument -> Settings, click on the drop down box where we have Regular/Renko/Point&Figure/So on- which will then have Custom Bar
3. We will be able to apply a Power Language script to this Custom Bar which we write ourselves
4. Our inputs from our Power Language script will apply to the Custom Bar settings at Format Instrument -> Settings
5. These bars will be cached and have the ability to have current indicators and strategies applied to them.

Example:

Please take this into consideration. I believe it to be of great benefit to the platform.
Attachments
Example_for_Custom_Bar_type_with_descriptions.png
(113.04 KiB) Downloaded 1965 times
Example_for_Custom_Bar_type.png
(62.48 KiB) Downloaded 1777 times

drjunzhao

Re: Custom Bar Type (A user defined/scripted bar)Feature Req

Postby drjunzhao » 16 Dec 2013

great idea.

Smoky

Postby Smoky » 17 Dec 2013

"User could choose to formulate a closing criterion based on some combination of price, volume, and time" ... or Range condition (all in variables inputs)

Please don't forget "Range" ;)

vote OK done :)

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 28 Mar 2014

This is what is holding me back from using (paying) for MultiCharts... no Kase bars. My system is built around these Kase bars and found no other bar works as accurately for my system.

Please... Kase Bars or allow us to create our own bar types.

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Mar 2014

This is what is holding me back from using (paying) for MultiCharts... no Kase bars. My system is built around these Kase bars and found no other bar works as accurately for my system.
You can code an indicator for Kase Bars.
You will need to start with a regular range bar chart,
then overlay it with the ATR high/lows.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Mar 2014

You can code an indicator for Kase Bars.
You will need to start with a regular range bar chart,
then overlay it with the ATR high/lows.
It looks like Rick is looking for a bar that he can run a system on.

Once you have the calculation for Kase bars figured out then you need to create a function which calculates Kase bars on underlying data, a function which counts the Kase bars correctly, a function to calculate your particular strategy on your Kase bar function, and then rewrite your strategy so it uses all of these functions which will then produce an accurate system results on your new Kase bars. :)

Sounds like fun!

RickAce

Postby RickAce » 28 Mar 2014

MAtricks... exactly. To run a system based on a indicator, then on another indicator, then on another... Yikes!

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 28 Mar 2014

Its doable for sure-I personally use this now, but its not pretty! So back to the only thing that I can think of.. the option to write our own bars within the platform :)

waveslider

Postby waveslider » 25 Apr 2014

MAtricks I am glad you brought this topic up.

I have long been of the opinion that time frames should be adaptive, and the presentation that is standard in charting platforms is inadequate.
The reason being is that cycles do not have static duration or phase. For example, an oscillator might work great on a 10 min. time frame for a while, but then it doesn't and works great on a 30 min. time frame instead. The reason is that the cycle is long in duration likely because the volatility has increased.
A volatility based bar is what is needed - that is what a KASE bar is trying to do. Kase bars are not range bars in that they are not a fixed size, they vary according to true range. Even better would be some other way to adapt using average true range or standard deviation.
Any thoughts?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 13 Oct 2014

Any plans for this suggestion? :)

Henry MultiСharts

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 17 Oct 2014

Any plans for this suggestion? :)
Thank you for your interest. This feature is not something that is in our to-do list at the moment.

bensat

Postby bensat » 17 Oct 2014

Why not writing the KaseBars in real-time in a csv-file and loading it real-time as an ASCII-Mapping symbol. Where's the problem ? Isn't that ugly ....

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 17 Oct 2014

Why not writing the KaseBars in real-time in a csv-file and loading it real-time as an ASCII-Mapping symbol. Where's the problem ? Isn't that ugly ....
This thread is requesting much more than just one bar type. Let's try to stay on topic please.

Return to “MultiCharts”