MA not display correctly on second chart

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
NW27

MA not display correctly on second chart

Postby NW27 » 21 Dec 2013

Hi All,
I have a chart window with two subcharts, a 5min bar chart on the top portion and a 1min chart on the bottom portion. (Refer to picture).
I have two indicators (See the black lines) both are 30 period EMA's both calculated on the top chart (Base Data 1), 1 displayed on the top chart the other displayed on the bottom chart.
The issue is that the one on the the bottom chart is not being displayed in the correct location relative to price. The scaling is set to being the same as the instrument.
On the bottom chart, the black line should be where the blue line is. The blue line is actually a 150 period EMA.

Kind regards,
Neil.
EURUSD 5Min with EMA30 Issues.png
EMA Displaying issues
(121.81 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

TJ

Re: MA not display correctly on second chart

Postby TJ » 21 Dec 2013

Hi All,
I have a chart window with two subcharts, a 5min bar chart on the top portion and a 1min chart on the bottom portion. (Refer to picture).
I have two indicators (See the black lines) both are 30 period EMA's both calculated on the top chart (Base Data 1), 1 displayed on the top chart the other displayed on the bottom chart.
The issue is that the one on the the bottom chart is not being displayed in the correct location relative to price. The scaling is set to being the same as the instrument.
On the bottom chart, the black line should be where the blue line is. The blue line is actually a 150 period EMA.
Kind regards,
Neil.
EURUSD 5Min with EMA30 Issues.png
You have to add a 5 min data series to the 2nd subchart, set it to invisible...
then calculate the 30 EMA based on this 5 min data.

NW27

Postby NW27 » 22 Dec 2013

Hi TJ,
Seasons Greetings to you.

1) How does my question become "Solved"? Given that I asked the question, shouldn't I be the one that says it is Solved or not?

2) Due to the fact that I'm using the same instrument in both charts and over the same bar chart period ie 2hrs, shouldn't the scaling be the same? The price bars are scaled the same.

3) If what I'm trying to do is not possible, then why give the option of using a different data series from another chart on the 2nd chart?

4) Why waist resources loading a whole third set of data when it is available in the same window?

5) What you suggest does work to a degree but also causes other issues, because I've had to make the third set of data hidden, I can no longer link this to the other data series on the visible charts. So each time I change contracts or change instruments altogether, I need to remember to find the hidden data series and change this as well. This has caught me many times.

So basically, I would not say that this matter is "Solved"

Kind regards,
Neil.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 Dec 2013

Hello NW27,

It will be improved in future MC versions (no ETA so far). At the moment please use the workaround suggested by TJ.

Return to “MultiCharts”