Updater

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

Updater

Postby arnie » 20 Jan 2014

Love the new pop up warning us that a new version is available.

In MC, when we check for updates, we get a link for list of improvements, download new version and user forum.
For some reason, the links open an IE window and not Chrome (which is my default browser). Is this a Windows "thing" or a MC "thing"?

Don't tell me the developer that coded that is an IE user and directed the links to open IE instead of the default browser :P

Andrew MultiCharts

Re: Updater

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 22 Jan 2014

Don't tell me the developer that coded that is an IE user and directed the links to open IE instead of the default browser :P
Looks like it... I'll talk to those IE fans.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 22 Jan 2014

I got the popup notifying me of this most recent update, but when I clicked Check for Updates under the Help tab, the common popup "You are currently using the latest version of Multicharts" came up. As always, I went to the website and fill out bogus information so I can update my MC 64bit.

It sounds like Arnie's worked correctly.. ? Is this working in the 32bit but not the 64bit?
Attachments
2014-01-22_1151.png
(33.45 KiB) Downloaded 1301 times

arnie

Postby arnie » 22 Jan 2014

I got the popup notifying me of this most recent update, but when I clicked Check for Updates under the Help tab, the common popup "You are currently using the latest version of Multicharts" came up.
Maybe some bug was preventing MC connecting to the server and check for a new version?
As always, I went to the website and fill out bogus information so I can update my MC 64bit.
The system allow bogus information to allow the download?
Is it me or that doesn't sound like a good security method?

ABC

Postby ABC » 22 Jan 2014

It would be a poor security method, but it's not that. I would guess that this is for sales reasons and not for security reasons.
The security is for example provided by your user name and license that you have to type in after your trial is expired.

Regards,
ABC
The system allow bogus information to allow the download?
Is it me or that doesn't sound like a good security method?

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 22 Jan 2014

Since MC 6, the update feature from the platform has never worked and the bogus information on the website has always enabled a download.

Why would downloading MC with bogus info be a security issue? That's where you pick up your 30 day free trial if you're a new user... The filled out information is for promo emails and such. For current owners, we fill out the viable credentials once the software is downloaded.

Note: I remember reading somewhere that the update feature within the platform was working for 32bit owners.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 Jan 2014

MAtricks,

3 questions:
  • What exact build number you had?
  • What exact builds numbers at the same time was on this page?
  • Do you have a screenshot of the window that popped up when you clicked Help -> Check for updates (on version of MC from the first question)?

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 23 Jan 2014

Love the new pop up warning us that a new version is available.

In MC, when we check for updates, we get a link for list of improvements, download new version and user forum.
For some reason, the links open an IE window and not Chrome (which is my default browser). Is this a Windows "thing" or a MC "thing"?

Looks like it... I'll talk to those IE fans.
Turned out the pop up window after you click "Help" -> "Check for updates" is actually a Internet Explorer window using its activeX components, that's why it opens the links not in default browser, but in the same IE.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 23 Jan 2014

MAtricks,

3 questions:
  • Do you have a screenshot of the window that popped up when you clicked Help -> Check for updates (on version of MC from the first question)?
I always update on the day of a release so I'm always current. I updated from MC 64bit 8.8r1 to MC 64bit 8.8r2

Sorry, I didn't capture screen shots of the action :) I figured that this behavior was expected until I saw this post. I'll post back if it happens with a future update and I'll include screen shots.

JoshM

Postby JoshM » 23 Jan 2014

I got the popup notifying me of this most recent update, but when I clicked Check for Updates under the Help tab, the common popup "You are currently using the latest version of Multicharts" came up. As always, I went to the website and fill out bogus information so I can update my MC 64bit.

It sounds like Arnie's worked correctly.. ? Is this working in the 32bit but not the 64bit?
Little tip: after you filled in that form, you are presented with the link to the download file. Right click that link and select 'Save as bookmark'. That way, you don't have to fill in the form the next time but just go to your bookmark, which will then pop-up the download window.

I don't have the url for regular MultiCharts, but for MC .NET (64 bit) it is:

Code: Select all

http://www.multicharts.com/downloads/latest/mcnet/x64/

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 23 Jan 2014

Thank you JoshM :)

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 24 Jan 2014

MAtricks,

3 questions:
I always update on the day of a release so I'm always current. I updated from MC 64bit 8.8r1 to MC 64bit 8.8r2

Sorry, I didn't capture screen shots of the action :) I figured that this behavior was expected until I saw this post. I'll post back if it happens with a future update and I'll include screen shots.
Ok, next time you are going to upgrade, please pay attention to these things and let us know.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 04 Apr 2014

This new update hasn't populated a message for me to try this exact scenario, but this shows the updater not working as mentioned before.
http://screencast.com/t/qnalm9Rx

and another computer:
http://screencast.com/t/pcwjxct48

I'll stay at the previous version for a few days in case I need to show further information.

And the update link for MC is https://www.multicharts.com/downloads/latest/mc/x64/

Thanks JoshM for that idea.

Andrew MultiCharts

Postby Andrew MultiCharts » 07 Apr 2014

This new update hasn't populated a message for me to try this exact scenario, but this shows the updater not working as mentioned before.
http://screencast.com/t/qnalm9Rx
Here is the secret logic no one should ever know... 8-)

When a new release version is available (for example you have MC 8.7 Release and we uploaded MC 8.8 Release to the web page) the "check for updates" feature should let you know about the new version.

If you have MC 8.8 Release and we uploaded MC 8.8 Release 2 with some minor issue fixes, the "check for updates" will remain silent for a week or two in order to make sure there is no problems with MC 8.8 Release 2.

Try now, MC 8.8 Release 3 should be available through "check for updates" now.

MAtricks

Postby MAtricks » 07 Apr 2014

Thank you :)

The update message populated after a restart of MC.

Return to “MultiCharts”