Running MC 8.8 release on WinXP without Net Framework  [SOLVED]

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Running MC 8.8 release on WinXP without Net Framework

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Jan 2014

I do have win7 running on an I5 quad core machine but I run "MC 8.0 release" on a dual core machine running Win-XP. I do this because my external software will not run on Win7 until I complete a significant conversion. It could be two years before I can get that done.

So about 9 months ago, when I tried to install MC 8.7 on my dual core machine which runs Win-XP, I had a problem because I do not have Net Framework running (prefer not to have it running). Henry gave me the solution below.
If you still want to install MultiCharts 8.7 without Net Framework you will need to change the registry key value "Version" to "3.5.30729.01" in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5
I am pretty busy so just today I got around to trying Henry's suggestion. I went into the Win-XP registry editor and checked out Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\ and guess what. There is no entry for Net Framework. I would assume that is because I do not have it installed at all. I double checked with a search for "HKLM" but found nothing that remotely resembles what Henry suggested. Again probably because I do not have Net Framerwork installed (prefer not to have it installed).

So I guess I should ask the question again but differently.

When running Win-XP on a dual core machine, is it even possible to upgrade from MC 8.0 release to MC 8.8 release. Even more important, if it is possible, is it likely to run too slow on a Win-XP (max memory of 3 gig) with a dual core machine. Should I stick with "if it isn't broken don't fix it (until my external program is converted to run on on the Win7 quad core I5 machine)".

Thanks,
John

Henry MultiСharts

Re: Running MC 8.8 release on WinXP without Net Framework  [SOLVED]

Postby Henry MultiСharts » 29 Jan 2014

Hello John,

That is recommended to have the required version of Net Framework and Windows Service Pack installed in your system.

The suggestion you are referring to was to avoid installing sp3 for the framework. It was not mentioned that you had no framework at all.
There is no entry for Net Framework. I would assume that is because I do not have it installed at all. I double checked with a search for "HKLM" but found nothing that remotely resembles what Henry suggested. Again probably because I do not have Net Framerwork installed (prefer not to have it installed).
As there is no Net Framework folder-there are no requested files in it. Basically MultiCharts requires at least Net Framework 2.0 for operation. Some components require Net Framework 3.5 so if you don't have it - this functionality will be missing. Windows XP Service Pack 3 is also required.
Should I stick with "if it isn't broken don't fix it (until my external program is converted to run on on the Win7 quad core I5 machine)".
I believe that will be the best decision if you do not want to install the required Net Framework and Service Pack on your Win XP.
If the difficulty with your external programs is that it is 32 bit - you can install MultiCharts 8.8 32 bit with your program on your Win7 even if it is 64 bit OS. In this situation you will have the latest version of MultiCharts with all features fully functioning and your program working.

Return to “MultiCharts”